Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Narrowing chassis width help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2010, 04:33 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Narrowing chassis width help.

For some of you Axial Maniacs out there... I'm looking for a thread on narrowing the skidplate with a stock chassis.

Does this ring a bell with anyone?
Kanine38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2010, 05:49 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

The skid only has holes/thick enough material for mounting screws through for about 1/4 inch on the outer edges. Unless you chop the plate in the middle and glue it back together I don't see how it could be done. Someone chime in here if there's something I'm overlooking please.
There's vendors on here that sell skids though. You may try hitting one of them up or make a new one with some delrin, a dremel and drill. It's not too hard and you can overlay the stock skid to mark the transmission hole correctly. Good luck!
solomon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:57 PM   #3
Suck it up!

Yeah you really can't narrow the stock skid. Its pretty flimsy anyway, so you need to either buy or build a new one. Delrin is your best bet. Though poly cutting board is a fair second choice. Skip the aluminum ones alltogether.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:36 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I second DUUUUDE I ran a poly cutting board skid up at my grandmothers (nice sharp rocks) and to my surprise it did pretty good (helps the chassis was narrow...) but I can agree that anything soft + the rocks = a bad combo, you will hang up all day and its not fun. Why do people get stupid and buy aluminum skids anyway
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:13 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawling Calvin View Post
I second DUUUUDE I ran a poly cutting board skid up at my grandmothers (nice sharp rocks) and to my surprise it did pretty good (helps the chassis was narrow...) but I can agree that anything soft + the rocks = a bad combo, you will hang up all day and its not fun. Why do people get stupid and buy aluminum skids anyway
I made a skid out of my cutting board and it work pretty well. It's roughly 3" wide and I want it 2.25 to 2.50. If I cut one out that width and mill out for my lower links then all I have to do is deal with my chassis plate braces and make sure my motor has room to stick out the side?

Am I missing something?
Old 04-16-2010, 07:20 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Not my build, but some cool idea pix.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-ax-10-scorpion/124552-das-ninja-ax10%3B-mods-%3D-bta-narrowed-custom-links-w-action-pics-post1242332.html
cornsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:34 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanine38 View Post
I made a skid out of my cutting board and it work pretty well. It's roughly 3" wide and I want it 2.25 to 2.50. If I cut one out that width and mill out for my lower links then all I have to do is deal with my chassis plate braces and make sure my motor has room to stick out the side?

Am I missing something?
Nope... sounds good to me, I made my own custom chassis and I just cut the edge so it will allow the motor to hang out and watcha know, it works . I think you got it good, if you can, milling a slot on the sides so the nylon hits the rocks first makes a huge difference in performance
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 07:00 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnake View Post
Not my build, but some cool idea pix.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1242332
Thanks Cornsnake.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:04 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the input guys. It cold and raining here so I have two things on the agenda... 1) Rework my crawlers.
2) Add on my indoor crawling area.

Should be a good day.

Last edited by Kanine38; 04-17-2010 at 07:08 AM.