Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: issues with stock electronics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2010, 08:37 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default issues with stock electronics

i have the stock electronics for an axial ax-10 rtc, the ax-1 2 channel radio, ae-1 esc, and ar-1 rx. recently i moved everything from the stock location and i've been having some serious issues.

the rig will randomly stall, just driving on flat ground it will decide it doesn't want to move anymore and just stops, this happens most often when i'm turning right. sometimes the rig loses steering in one direction, it will turn all the way in one direction and not at all in the other. sometimes it just stops, no matter what input i give from the radio, nothing happens for about 30 seconds, then all of a sudden i have full control again.

i checked my connections, the esc is plugged into the top channel on the rx, which is throttle, the servo is plugged into the middle channel. my steering and throttle trim are set to zero on the radio, and i always turn the radio on before the esc. i've tried multiple batteries.

i dont know wth is going on and i have no idea how to fix it, and please dont just tell me to buy new stuff, i really cant afford that right now.
PineapplAssasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2010, 08:46 PM   #2

if you have no idea how to fix it and no money to replace parts I would suggest finding someone closeby (friend, forum member, your LHS )

You had no issues before moving all of the components? If the issues didn't start until you moved things then move them back and see if they go away.
KOHJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:24 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

It sounds like you need an external bec. Like a castle creations bec. That's sounds like what happened to me but I just bought a new esc.

http://www.castlecreations.com/products/ccbec.html
ax-10 crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:42 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

is there a need for a bec if you dont run a lipo? i am using a 7.2 V 3300mah stick battery from radio shack
Old 06-16-2010, 09:48 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

If you moved the electronics around then the receiver may be to close to the motor or servo. Ideally you want the receiver as far a way as possible. Hard in a small chassis, but a little bit makes a difference. That usually causes a glitch not a stall though. It could be the speed controller causing problems. If that is the case then a BEC will help, but its a wast of money in my opinion. Save for a better speed controller.
Neutron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:33 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

in the stock location, the esc and the reciever were both right next to the motor and to each other. i then moved them to the front axle, the glitching/stalling started and then i moved them to their current location and the problem continues. the esc is on the rear links and the rx is on top of the tranny.

my dad and i think it might be a connection issue, but whether its the rx or the esc we have no idea. i seem to either have steering and no throttle, loss of all control, or minor glitching with momentary stalls. all problems can occur under no bind at all, but are more frequent when bound up.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:25 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

so just for fun i disconnected the servo from the rx and drove around a little. i tried the esc in both the throttle and steering channels. all this didnt solve anything, even the fact that the rig glithces more with the wheels turned right wtf? it glitches more with the wheels turned right even if the servo is not getting power?
Old 06-17-2010, 11:53 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

the esc in a rtc will not last very long, i had it in mine for about a week before the it went out. the stock motor isnt bad and the servo isnt bad for a rtr truck, but the esc is worth upgrading.
BSTcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 02:49 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSTcrawler View Post
the esc in a rtc will not last very long, i had it in mine for about a week before the it went out. the stock motor isnt bad and the servo isnt bad for a rtr truck, but the esc is worth upgrading.

I am usually just a browser here on the forum, but i agree 100% with this guy and decided to post lol

I bought a novak rooster crawler ESC when my stocker hit the junk pile. The ESC made my rig much more enjoyable to drive, it became more controlable, plus now it has the whole brake ordeal and goes instantly from forward to reverse without having to double tap.

Might not be the first choice for all the cool "comp" guys, but for a recreational crawler like myself, the novak ESC is doing a great job and didn't bust my wallet wide open either.
Ramination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:48 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

If the rx is next to the motor you could be getting interference from the motor. Try twisting the motor power wires and see it that helps. If not put the rx on the front axle and the esc by the trans. That is the set up I am running but I also have a tekin fxr esc. I did not have problems with my stock esc in my rtr kit. Maybe I just got lucky. It could be esc but I would rule out interference first. A new esc will make driving a lot eaiser and more fun if you can afford it.

Last edited by Neutron; 06-18-2010 at 12:51 PM.
Neutron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 12:09 PM   #11

The ESC isn't great, but that stock radio is GARBAGE!! I bet if you replace it, you'll have solved your issues. My buddies RTR was basically the same way, we put a Traxxas TQ 2.4 we had laying around in it and viola, worked like a charm.
Gunstar Hero is offline   Reply With Quote