Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Sharkey's Frogger v2.0 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2010, 09:58 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Sharkey's Frogger v2.0 build

i was chosen as one of the winners of the frogger v2.0, so i thought id be the first one to get a build thread under way. now i dont actually have the chassis yet, and dont expect it for a few weeks, but i do have a lot of parts that are unfortunately bolted to some integy extended chassis plates that make my current rig. ill be using this truck as my base for the build, however i will be making a lot of other changes.

the old truck

so here is the list of whats going into this build for sure

-frogger v2.0 chassis
-ax10 axles and transmission
-double triangulated 4 link with delrin links and revo ends
-custom delrin skid plate
-losi crawler shocks with internal springs
-custom built BTA steering
-rear steer
-castle sidewinder esc
-integy 35 turn v11
-hitec servos, 985mg front and 645mg rear
-castle bec
-jr 310 reciever
-great hobbies 2000mah 3s lipos
-axial high steer knuckles and aluminum c hubs
-axial cvds
-traxxas driveshafts and steel yokes

tires and wheels are up in the air. i have a set of proline moab tires and proline beadlocks, however the wheels are beginning to strip out. they do work alright, however i wouldnt mind trying something else out. suggestions would be appreciated. im also contemplating throwing an underdrive gear set in the rear diff.

as this chassis is designed as a direct bolt in for an ax10, i wont be using it that way. my truck is too far off what an ax10 should be, its 1/4" too long, links are not even close to lengths they should be, rod ends are whatever i had around, aluminum skid plate hangs on everything, all was in an effort to make a crappy designed chassis work (the integy chassis came with the truck when i bought it used). ill be stripping the truck down, building a jig and starting from scratch. this will allow me to get the link lengths i want, have the correct pinion angles and build the truck as i see fit.

as you can tell from the rear steer, this isnt a comp build, im a basher. r/c racing/competing never caught on for me, i found many years ago that there was far too many politics and no fun in racing. id much rather take the truck out to the local crawling spot, show off the truck and what it can do, and just have fun.

hope you guys enjoy this thread as much as im already enjoying this build. it hasnt really started yet, just starting to strip the old rig down and get it all cleaned up and ordered material for the links and skid plate
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2010, 10:22 PM   #2
Tossin' Salad

Your chassis is in the post. I am subscribed so I can watch this. I will be interrested to see what you can do differently.
If you have any recommendations for different sorts of link or shock locations, be sure to put that info here.

Remember...this is just delrin. If you want an extra hole, it cuts like butter!

Good luck.
KC_JoNeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:05 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

havent done much more. was going to strip the truck down tonight but parts showed up for my big block ntc3, and i have machining to do on parts for it, and im hoping to get it together for the weekend.

i did decide that im going to run the proline moabs, existing foams, weights and wheels, at least for now. the setup worked, so itll help me compare it to the old chassis, and take a variable out for the initial setup. in the future ill very likely put some other wheels and tires on it.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:53 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I'm still waiting on the post to get my chassis also...post office way to slow huh!!
rockerrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:19 AM   #5
Tossin' Salad

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockerrc View Post
I'm still waiting on the post to get my chassis also...post office way to slow huh!!
I understand your frustration...but, it has only been 14 days, so we have a couple days left. I hope it shows before the guestimated 20 days.

Casey
Old 08-12-2010, 07:11 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_JoNeS View Post
I understand your frustration...but, it has only been 14 days, so we have a couple days left. I hope it shows before the guestimated 20 days.

Casey
it's not your fault It's just a wait on some one thats dosen't have speed on there side no problems here!
Old 08-12-2010, 07:34 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

it just seems like it takes forever when your waiting for something you really want or need. i have an fg sportline, i buy a lot of stuff for it from ebay UK, i know how waiting 3 weeks is.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:36 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
it just seems like it takes forever when your waiting for something you really want or need. i have an fg sportline, i buy a lot of stuff for it from ebay UK, i know how waiting 3 weeks is.
I know what you mean i had to wait 3 and a half weeks for my lipos to get here from Hong Kong.
shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:32 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

not much of an update, however im in need of delrin. put an order in with mcmaster-carr last tuesday, got an invoice and it stated it would be shipped that day. checked my order status last night, there was no record of it and i hadnt been charged. after i fired off an email i got a reply today saying they wont ship to canada. now i can agree international shipping can be a pain, however nowhere on the site did it say anything about not shipping to canada, and it would have been nice to get an email saying my order wouldnt be sent at the time i ordered, not over a week later.

long story short, im back on the hunt for delrin. anyone know of a place to order it online other than mcmaster???
Old 08-18-2010, 08:01 PM   #10
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

What do you need? I have 5/16" in 5 foot sticks, I'll charge what they charge and give you a deal on the shipping, but I can't get it out till Monday.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:06 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

5/16 is what im after, however im also trying to get some flat delrin to build a skid plate out of. one of the local guys thinks he has what i need, or has a source for it. i appreciate the offer, ill shoot you a pm in the next day or so and let you know if i still need it
Old 08-18-2010, 08:26 PM   #12
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

Cool, no prob.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:56 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Hey Sharkey we can get that stuff for you also lets us know if nothing turns out for you keith
Old 08-19-2010, 08:15 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

i put an order in last night at plastics international ( https://www.plasticsintl.com/ ). i got an e-mail first thing this morning suggesting we use a different shipping method along with shipping quotes, and after a couple e-mails back and forth my order shipped out just after lunch time. i was rather impressed with their service. also to note they had small quantities of flat delrin. most places sell it in 12"x12" sheets, they had it in 6"x6" pieces for about 1/3 of the price. i figure 6x6 is enough to build 3 skid plates, and i have both 1/4" and 5/16" thick ordered (5/16 is hard to find for plate). id highly recommend these guys to anyone, far easier and better to deal with than mcmaster.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:36 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

chassis showed up today. ill have some pics up in a while.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:52 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
chassis showed up today. ill have some pics up in a while.
lets go,lets go get her done!
Old 08-20-2010, 11:03 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

ok so ive had some time to work with the chassis tonight, i also got a few pics

pics of the chassis

i was amazed to get it so quick, it only took 9 days from china to canada, quicker than most parts i order out of the states. the first thing i looked at is the quality of the chassis. there is minimal toolmarks, something that can be an issue with delrin. all the edges are smooth. the chassis plates had some small scratches in them, basicly happens from the raw material, it was nothing to be concerned about. all the holes are finished nicely and are very precise. the delrin bars are drilled right on center as expected and the included phillips head screws have a very good bite, wont have to worry about them stripping or falling out.

now being mcmaster screwed me, i have yet to get my delrin (it shipped today from plastics international). i also was not expecting to get my chassis this quick so i hadnt stripped my old crawler down. i spent some time tonight, and here is the result

the bta setup is going to change, i designed it when i was running external springs. now im running internal springs it makes for a lot more room. the current setup ended up wearing out quite quickly, and isnt the nicest looking. im planning to keep the servo vertical though, the space is needed for the 2000mah 3s packs

and one last pic for the night, my setup jig i threw together

Old 08-20-2010, 11:10 PM   #18
Tossin' Salad

Hey Sharkey...sorry about the finish of the material. As you stated, it is so hard to get a consistent finish due to how the material was handled.
9 days if super fast. That was through the post office as well.

Keep up the progress. Looks good.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:34 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

im not complaining about the finish, im sure if i really cared it would polish out quite easily. thing is as soon as its together im going to scratch the hell out of it on the rocks anyways. im actually very happy with the way its finished, ive seen some delrin chassis that look like they are well used when you take em out of the box.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:33 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Man looking good! Whats with the 4WS though

I know what you mean with the Delrin and scratching, I work "a lot" with Delrin machining up parts for my self on CNC and just looking at it wrong, it can get scratched. Wish it came with paper on it, whatever, it will get scratched the moment it gets on the rocks. Nothing looks perfect forever, or it would be on a shelf, not on your car

Interesting side note: I have found that "rough surface" Delrin shows scratches less than "smooth" as well as white shows it less than black due to contrast. On the other hand, white stains/shows dirt easier. Take your pick
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote