Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: ax10 kit or ARTR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2010, 03:07 PM   #1

Default ax10 kit or ARTR

Quick question, what is the main difference between the ax10 kit and the ARTR??

yes i know the kit ya have to build and ARTR comes built, but which is a better crawler or are they pretty much the same???
bucks86ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

no idea whether the same thing parts wise, however I chose the kit as part of the enjoyment for me was to build the truck. Also, I got to build it and I know how it all works inside out. That's the biggest thing IMO, if you wanna understand your rig and maybe mod it somehow, build it to get a better understanding of it.
slowlearner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 04:33 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I'd Check their web site... I started off w/ ARTR then an RTC. I do know that the ARTR does not come w/ a slipper. I like the slipper clutch. good luck,& welcome. Here's a pic of my crawler course on werule.
cornsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 04:38 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I went with the ARTR. Partly because I wasn't up for the build, and also to avoid GREEN!!!
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:55 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Im pretty sure there both the same, other than the kit has a truck body...The ARTC has more of a comp body. Some guys on here have been saying the kit is discontinued, this may be something to look into.
BLKXJ 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:01 PM   #6

slowlearner- yeah that sounds like the route ill take....smart thing to do..will probably help out in the future

cornsnake- what in the hell is that??? haha

Justinthyme- i do like the burnt orange.. go UT..even though there not doing so hot!
Old 11-09-2010, 07:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKXJ 96 View Post
Im pretty sure there both the same, other than the kit has a truck body...The ARTC has more of a comp body. Some guys on here have been saying the kit is discontinued, this may be something to look into.

my lhs has a couple instock...
Old 11-09-2010, 07:11 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks86ta View Post
my lhs has a couple instock...
Yeah im sure theres a bunch left. then when there gone you just get the prebuilt ARTC.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:32 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

If I had it all to do over again I think I would buy some axles, then get the chassis I want and build it piece by piece with all the parts I want. Instead of upgrading just about everything.
Aggie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:37 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian3323 View Post
If I had it all to do over again I think I would buy some axles, then get the chassis I want and build it piece by piece with all the parts I want. Instead of upgrading just about everything.
x2
CmdrZod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:40 PM   #11
Tossin' Salad

Quote:
This is the exact route I would take now.

Buy the axles and tranny, and then source the good components here by doing a week's worth of reading. Believe me, you can do the reading now, or later...but, it is best if you do it now to save yourself the time and money.

Casey
KC_JoNeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:47 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
upgrading just about everything.
Thats half the fun, plus you have to start somewhere, or you never know where you've been. Crawlers got boaring when I had nothing else to buy, so I got another crawler, and a scaler, and a short course truck. I say buy a kit and mod it out as much as you can afford. Then you have a base line to start from, and you can say this mod worked great!! or this mod sucked!!

RC is not the hobby to get into if you want to save money.

Last edited by BLKXJ 96; 11-09-2010 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:06 PM   #13

yeah most likely going with the kit..wanna know how everything works and goes together... i hear 2 sides about the motor..brushed or brushless??
Old 11-09-2010, 08:07 PM   #14
RCC Addict

kit hands down!
SwampDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:18 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks86ta View Post
yeah most likely going with the kit..wanna know how everything works and goes together... i hear 2 sides about the motor..brushed or brushless??

With an Axial most guys....if not all run brushed 55t to 35T motors, I run a 35T it gives a little more wheel speed to get up and over stuff but is not too fast. I have run 55t and 45t motors but IMO it's too slow for me.

Last edited by BLKXJ 96; 11-09-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:08 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I run a 45T, and I think it gives a good balance of low end grunt, and wheel speed when you need it.

For those that said "if I were going to do it now....", my question is would you have had the experience and know-how to build from scraps if you hadn't gone the long route first and upgraded from a kit? Just thinkin' out loud. If I knew then what I know now, yeah, I'd have bought axels and a tranny and gone from there. But with my first crawler, which is a very different beast from any other form of RC vehicle, I'd have been totally lost trying to do that.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:44 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

One of the other main differences I see in the Kit vs ARTR, the ARTR has bent lower links for better clearance. The kit is no longer on Axial's website, so I couldn't get more specs on it. I bought the ARTR and loved it! Oh I think the kit comes with Rock Lizards, which suck, and the ARTR comes with Hammers which are a lot better out of the box.
TEAM DEBEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:56 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Getting a kit is nice so you knowexactly how the truck is built and how it works.
awdtsi is offline   Reply With Quote