Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Any suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 12:02 PM   #1

Default Any suggestions?

I'm fairly new here and i'm seeking a little advice. I looked on the threads here for what this needs but they are a little outdated. I just finished a Wraith
( Grumpytruck's wraith kit build ) and this is my next project. I picked this up on ebay for the wife.
It has Integy shocks (Springs seem real stiff) and MIP driveshafts so thats pretty much covered. The axles are locked but I haven't torn them down to see whats inside. I just ordered a Vanquish frame and other aluminum parts for the axles. It came ready to set up for 4WS but I think I will save that for later as she has never driven an RC car. I'm thinking about a Tekin setup with the 35T motor and Esc. I'm a little undecided on the servo though. I put a heavy duty Savox on my Wraith and I was wondering if this will need that big of a servo considering it will weigh a lot less. I have 32 pitch gears and hot racing tranny gears so that is no problen either. I bought a Volkswagon body for it and I don't really care for the battery on the axle look. I'm thinking of making a tray to sit on the upper links. I have several batteries from my airplanes so I might just run a 2200 mah 2 cell or smaller. This is going to be a trail rig and rock crawler as we will see how she can drive it. Any advice on the motor and servo and any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Attached Images

Grumpytruck 909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2013, 12:40 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Any suggestions?

Looks like you'll want to internally limit those shocks to get your belly down to a reasonable height.

I personally feel you should never cut corners on electronics.
Especially a servo.
If your trying to save money, buy the best savox you can find.
I personally would buy a hitec though.
Make sure your $100 spent on a servo is well spent.
Chaotic Crawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:56 PM   #3

The springs on my stock AX-10 are quite stiff as well. The bent lower links are one of the first upgrades I'd look into, they really improve the break over angle.
SnarkyMcSnarkson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic Crawlers View Post
Looks like you'll want to internally limit those shocks to get your belly down to a reasonable height.

I personally feel you should never cut corners on electronics.
Especially a servo.
If your trying to save money, buy the best savox you can find.
I personally would buy a hitec though.
Make sure your $100 spent on a servo is well spent.
Thanks for the advice.
I agree on your point about the shocks. I ordered some Losi gold springs and we'll see it those let it squat down a bit. I might just go with 4 inch shocks. I went with the Savox servo on my Wraith because my son bought me an aluminum servo horn that would fit it for Xmas and thought I'd try them out. So far so good. I've used Hitec servos in a couple of my airplanes and I like them alot. I'll see if I can find a deal on a Hitec or Futaba servo later in the build.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnarkyMcSnarkson View Post
The springs on my stock AX-10 are quite stiff as well. The bent lower links are one of the first upgrades I'd look into, they really improve the break over angle.
I was thinking about the bent lower links also. I've got some 8-32 threaded rod and some revo ball ends and i'm going to make some links from those. I might have to adjust the wheelbase a bit to match the body and I thought i'd give that a try.
Thanks for the reply
Old 01-30-2013, 11:21 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

The Traxxas ball ends are a little narrower than the Axial balls, so you need a small washer. Put ink pen bodies over your threaded rod. Nice and slick like delrin. Saw that trick on here before.
jollyjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:44 AM   #7

I would go with the bent links - and try to get it down a bit . I like to have my upper links sitting fairly level to the ground . Electronics - I have a Hitec 7955 , TekinFXR/55tpro and castle 10a BEC ordered for mine . Have you thought of mounting the esc on the rear upper link and rx on the front and the 2200 battery on the bottome side of the battery tray ( I was thinking of that )
kansei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:50 PM   #8

Well I got it together to see how it would run. I used two sided foam tape to mount the RX and esc. I used the Hitec 7955 servo and have a CC bec to put in it yet. I made a homemade rear upper link mount for the axle and might make another one.Still haven't decided what to do with the shocks and links yet and thanks for the advice, still a work in progress
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2013, 03:25 PM   #9

Well I got some more work done on the Scorpion, I put some Wraith shocks on it and made a different link mount for the rear axle. I started working on making some bent links and decided to just bend the stock ones. I used a hand held tubing bender and stuck an allen wrench between the grips so I would get the same bend on all the links.The body rubs a bit when I have it mounted so I ordered some G-made wheel wideners and will see how those work out. I think down the road I might just put Wraith axles on it?I'm still trying to figure out how I want to do the paint job, The wife wants a bumble bee style paint job on the VW bug body I bought for it.
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2013, 05:01 PM   #10

Man that is one expensive servo, I need to read up on my electronics game.

Whats the benefit to that servo? The TQ it makes? Does it offer any added swing?
Boosted2000si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:13 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

i run that same servo and its worth every penny i think its like 408 ounce of TQ nice pick on the servo
CrazyCrawler316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:14 PM   #12

The servo is a Hitec HS-7954SH High Voltage Ultra Torque Dual BB Servo. I got it on Fleabay for just over 80 bucks with shipping. Works great,I might put it on my Wraith

Any suggestions? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
in need of suggestions jacob d Tamiya XC/CC01 8 07-28-2012 01:56 AM
Suggestions MikeyBike RC4WD Bully 4 10-24-2011 07:37 PM
any suggestions ??? Please!!! shaunmf Axial AX-10 Scorpion 8 10-11-2008 02:17 PM
some suggestions please broncoholic Electronics 13 04-02-2007 07:54 AM
Suggestions mudplower Chit Chat 26 08-23-2006 06:14 PM