Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: What a difference a few changes make!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2010, 09:24 PM   #1

Default What a difference a few changes make!

Years ago I played around a bit with an RC10 and no matter what changes I made I saw/felt very little if any change in the way the car ran and handled.

On my RTC the changes are profound and extremely noticeable. Today's mods were a new skid plate moving the rod ends in, behind the axle steering (no more ackerman issues), added more weight to the wheels (6oz front, 3 rear), moved the mounting position on the rear shocks and adjust the preload. Changed the stock driveshafts to integy metal cv shafts.

Total articulation is way down - just about where I want it I think. I'll have to try it on some rocks to be sure. May change the shock oil due to the heavier wheels.

I'm moving from 7 cell nimh to 3S lipo as soon as the batteries arrive and then I'll decide if I need more motor - it got a bit sluggish when applying full power with all that weight in the tires. It also 'sits' rather than bounces or hops when i punch it. Should be a lot more controllable on the rocks!

With the stock steering (plastic links and ackerman issues) I had the servo dialed to 125% of servo throw (on the radio). After installing the the BTA kid I had to dial it back to 70% to keep the tired from hitting the shocks at full lock!
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2010, 04:45 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Keep up the good work
teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:45 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Yah I know what you mean. back in the day you coulkd mod the hell out of an rc & realy only make it faster & handle slightly better.... (I had frogs, monsterbeetles, RC10, etc) But on the crawlers & some of the newer rigs out there, slight changes make a big difference!
Got any pics of your truck???
airdreams1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:42 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Default ya

Ya it dont take much to make a big change in crawling.i have never ran a rtc but i have a scorpion and i run 3 s and a hh pro 35 t and lots of wheel speed.i put the hi lo gear set in and it helped a lot on tork twist also its 4 lincked.so good luck with yours and post picks as you keep modding
wurster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:19 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Looks like your heading in the right direction with it, the only think you might think about trying actually less weight in the wheels, mainly in the rear wheels, heavy wheels in the rear makes them want to dig in more an vertical climbs and flip the truck over backwards, it also makes it harder to get the back wheels to pop up over ledges because the weight is helping to keep it down, I run no weight in the rear wheels at all and about the same as you up front, also under drive gears in the rear axle will help a lot as well, both of these things will make your rig want to pull its self up a hill instead of push it, generally making it more stable and controllable, just take it easy on the descents
abadk9420 is offline   Reply With Quote