Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: whats the big deal with an new chassis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2011, 02:38 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

The stock chassis is pretty lousy. The stock skid can be modified to inboard the lower links, but you still have a ridiculously wide chassis with poor upper link mounting options and horrible location for shock mounts.

Most of the popular aftermarket chassis are a dramatic improvement over stock.

My advice is to find one that has a few very detailed build threads on here that you can emulate. Several people have shared their setups and copying these gives a great starting point for your build. Now, that said, what works for me may not be perfect for you, but I can guarantee if you copied my setup, you'd have a rig that would run circles around what you're currently used to. Use a build as a starting point and go from there. (that reminds me. I forgot that I haven't posted a build thread on my Axial...oops)

I'm currently running my AX10 as a Sportsman class rig on a CDW Chump chassis. I really like it, but if I was to buy a new one, it would probable be the T1e chassis. My 2nd choice would be the BWD wedge.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2011, 03:09 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

I started with a stock chassis and moved on to a BWD SlingShot chassis. So far I love this chassis just need to upgrade my shocks to some GTRs with Jato 0.7 springs.
Wicked Klown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:04 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Klown View Post
I started with a stock chassis and moved on to a BWD SlingShot chassis. So far I love this chassis just need to upgrade my shocks to some GTRs with Jato 0.7 springs.
Mini-T springs fit nicely internally in the GTR's. You don't have to worry about the tires getting into the springs and you can get some softer spring rates than you will with the Jato springs.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:59 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

You'd be amazed at the lines possible with a non-dig AX10 based crawler. My Sportsman does some things as well, if not better than my berg.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:25 PM   #25
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTwin v2 View Post
You'd be amazed at the lines possible with a non-dig AX10 based crawler. My Sportsman does some things as well, if not better than my berg.
Ive NEVER touched an MOA or Dig, all I got is Underdriven rear and that's it for "aids" to my car. ALL I can say is a properly setup car and engineered chassis is amazing. I love it when Shafty's beat MOA's on courses, its a great feeling
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:47 PM   #26
RCC Addict

Beating a dead horse here but the only thing left on my shafty from my stock setup is the rear axles, the tranny, and the front axle locker and pinion. All of this happened because I built a crawler course outside the house and would drive for 5 minutes find a weakness and tune for 2 nights to make that less of a weakness. That eventually lead what I just described above. For your sake I wish the fastback was still around but if you want my ff4 I will sell that to you.
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:02 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
Beating a dead horse here but the only thing left on my shafty from my stock setup is the rear axles, the tranny, and the front axle locker and pinion.
HA HA, I got you beat Rick. The only thing stock on my rig is the tanny and axle housings.
Aggie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:31 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Mini-T springs fit nicely internally in the GTR's. You don't have to worry about the tires getting into the springs and you can get some softer spring rates than you will with the Jato springs.

Hey thanks I'll have to look in to those. Reason I went with the Jatos as thats whatever one else was using. I already have the springs just need the shock. Might have to get the mini-ts tho.

Edit: Wouldn't that make a droop set-up tho? Are you talking about on the inside of the shock or like how guys run the big bore shocks?

Last edited by Wicked Klown; 01-21-2011 at 12:50 AM.
Wicked Klown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:00 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Edit: Wouldn't that make a droop set-up tho?
Nope

Aggie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:25 AM   #30
RCC Addict

Here's what a good chassis can do on an AX10 with no DIG or wheel weights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OtFO...layer_embedded
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:54 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Hey thanks I'll have to look in to those. Reason I went with the Jatos as thats whatever one else was using. I already have the springs just need the shock. Might have to get the mini-ts tho.

Edit: Wouldn't that make a droop set-up tho? Are you talking about on the inside of the shock or like how guys run the big bore shocks?
Take the shock cap off and drop the spring in on top of the piston. There is enough room between the piston and the cap for the spring to fit under full compression.

When buying shocks, the Revo 3.3 GTRs are worth the extra $$$. The Ti- Nitride shafts seem alot stronger.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:01 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
(that reminds me. I forgot that I haven't posted a build thread on my Axial...oops).
I guess I was wrong. I did post a build thread. Take a look here if you want to see a well built AX10: An Evil Sportsman... giving the non-dig thing a try
Old 01-22-2011, 05:30 PM   #33
Rock Stacker

Wowsers. Thanks to everyones response, definitely gave me lots to think about.
bishballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:23 PM   #34
Croakin' across the pond!

I couldn't agree more with you. You can take the sock chassis a long way - it's only when other people set the lines that an aftermatket chassis becomes a necessity - immediately!
The biggest problem with the decision is which one, not whether to, as you'll already have reached that point if you've tuned the stock sereral times over.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:27 PM   #35
Croakin' across the pond!

Any idea when the viper will appear?
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:51 PM   #36
Rock Crawler

The viper is due out some time this month. There is a thread dedicated to that chassis in the xr10 section.
version_three is offline   Reply With Quote