Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: over and under drive

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2011, 03:01 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default over and under drive

looking into this over and under drive thing. Would it be wise to run both at the same time?

any comments would be greatfully apreicated.
slegh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2011, 05:24 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

One or the other helps, but both work together better. It will help on steep climbs and give a dig affect when turning by blipping the throttle.
some say it causes some bunching up of the suspension in reverse, but i haven't noticed that on mine yet.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:33 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Ya when they first came out the senses was to only run one. But lately more and more guys like running both... I'm torn what to do too. I run the rear ud gears but would be curious how the fronts would be too.
PipeDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:00 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
One or the other helps, but both work together better. It will help on steep climbs and give a dig affect when turning by blipping the throttle.
some say it causes some bunching up of the suspension in reverse, but i haven't noticed that on mine yet.
Yes, indeed. I run UD in rear and the rig is kinda twitching when go reverse.
I haven't noticed huge difference using UD only. May be it is not visible to my eye and i'm used to, bu i wonder how does OD+UD work together. Anyone has a vid, btw ?
shizzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:16 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

i did the numbers on each ratio and don't have the number difference of each ratio....you get a bigger range difference with under drive in the rear and stock gears in front then you would get with over drive in the front and stock in rear....but you will get the biggest seperation/difference in ratio's using over/under drive ....i went with under drive in the rear and stock up front and was happy........bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:52 AM   #6
No idea what I'm doing

For the price, it's worth experimenting with. I have overdrive front and stock rear. I know many use underdrive in the rear with stock fronts. The next time I order anything, I'm going to toss a set of unders onto the order.

I think it would really depend on your driving style too. If you have a heavy trigger finger, and you're just spinning tires, you aren't going to get the benefit of running different ratios front and rear, no matter what the combination.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:01 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

running underdrive on the rear with stock fronts will tighten up the tolerances in the back and leave the front sloppy...it can cause issues sometimes....going with od in the front and stockers in the back always worked the best for me...because it is tight in the front ...did the over/under thing....didnt like it imho......
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:20 AM   #8
On the lookout for Rocks

I love over in the front and under in the rear. I am running this setup in both of my scalers. I would think that it would be awesome in a comp rig.

Last edited by constantmotion; 02-14-2011 at 09:36 AM.
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:31 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

I've been running over in the front and stock in the rear for about a year and I think it helps. Another guy in our club just went to OD/UD and it is working out really well for him. Like what was said, not everyone is gonna like it.
Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:17 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

well, I never liked the look of the stock gears so I changed both to the helical type o/d front u/d rear & i was running a DNA dig. that was two years ago I guess, i don't remember the exact date but the gears were pretty much newly out on the market at the time could be longer than that... still going strong. takes gettin used to but climbs like a goat in heat...
big_boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:28 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

So, the conclusion is everybody drive different ways
buy both of them and eperiment in different comboes u'll find what is best for u.
Was playing for an hour with the rig in my rocky corner. Well UD does help a bit... in climbing steep hills. U'll get some turning advantages. But i think, it works better with front OD...
shizzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:30 PM   #12

It all depends on how much you want to overdrive the front.
OD+stock= 0.35 Overdrive
Stock+UD= 0.387 Overdrive
OD+UD= 0.737 Overdrive
e owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:33 PM   #13

So what is the actual teeth count on
Under drive=
Stock=
Over drive=
FORETJ20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:39 PM   #14

Under drive = 43/13
stock = 38/13
Over drive = 36/14
e owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:11 PM   #15
RCC Addict

i run both in my comp rig since they came out. never had any problems and they work awesome together. in my scalers i usually run under in the rears and stock fronts.
goobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:52 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

i had dig in my crawler but found using free rear wheel was more helpful ther rear lock....so i went UD in the rear stock up front because that combo had more of a ratio difference then OD up front and stock in the rear....you can see the difference in wheel rotation when on blocks, i marked the 6 o'clock on a front tire and slowly spin the tires by radio untill the mark came back to 6 o"clock....same mark on rear tire was not at bottom of course it wouldn't be....anyway the front spun faster then the rear to pull it around like rear lock without using rear lock ........bob

Old 02-19-2011, 04:58 PM   #17
RCC Addict

I run the GC3A chassis and OD/UD is the best mod I've done so far . Turning is better, decending steep inclines is better (no forward flipovers), and uphilling the rig seems to pull the front end down for better traction.
TrailDawg362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:20 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Run both over and under and don't look back! It holds up fine, and is worth the money.
irok22s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:36 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Me too. I run both UD and OD. I think it also helps when you need to jump a gap.
Aggie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:55 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian3323 View Post
Me too. I run both UD and OD. I think it also helps when you need to jump a gap.
how when the rear axle laggs behind the front axle spinning faster, kinda like a 50% drag brake.........bob