Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Spur Gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2011, 08:56 PM   #1

Talking Spur Gear

I recently replaces my factory drive shafts after my last trip out crawling thanx to a tire trap, and my goat 3s system!! I went with Jun Fac they are working great maybe to great! Lol. Playin round the house today since drivetrain is beffed up now I stripped plastic spur gear. Any suggestions or experiences with a good replacement, or ideas of what may be next to give way? As always I appreciate the input.
magman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2011, 01:43 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

You'll either learn to be light with your finger in a bind or you'll just break everything plastic...and I mean everything. So...you'll have a 15lb rig or you'll be a better driver? So your shafts and spur gear are all upgraded stuff now....next to go...outdrives, idler gear, outdrive gear. Hamma time.
NGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:03 AM   #3
Try to Bend it

Wow a 15lb rig, I don't think he is building a fully tubed scaler with steel panels and steel billet wheels.

I still run a stock 48p 87T spur on one of my rigs, with junfac shafts and a 7 turn puller on 2S. It is standing up to the power well.

You may have had a bad mesh between your pinion and spur causing it to fail sooner rather than later.

If you do want to upgrade to some more beef. Robson Racing make a nice Titanium spur gear. While your at it a Robson Racing solid outdrive could be handy too. These parts can be found at most Vendor stores and other online Hobby shops.
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:06 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

a well adjusted slipper is your friend.
if you already have one (and it is adjusted correctly) then you have a gear mesh issue.
Mud Puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:53 AM   #5
Croakin' across the pond!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Puppy View Post
a well adjusted slipper is your friend.
if you already have one (and it is adjusted correctly) then you have a gear mesh issue.
Couldn't agree more - I'm still on the original spur (I tend to forget that the spur and slipper are up there with the original axle and tranny casings). That, and a lighter touch too - the slipper teaches you this. We've a lot to thank the RC10 for!

There's also something to be said for keeping the weakest link easily accessible and cheap to replace.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:09 PM   #6
Suck it up!

Slippers are for weenies.

Stock spurs are fine, I like the Kimbroughs too. Gotta have a fuse somewhere, might as well be a $3 part.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:24 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I fully agree with Duuuuuuuude, I would rather a readily available part let go than some other part that may take a week or more to order. Also loose the slipper, I changed out my slipper because it was just annoying I knew the truck could do what I was trying to get it to do and of course the slipper would kick in. I had it as tight as it would go too.
cagedcbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:22 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

what are you guys using for slip eliminators and where to get from........bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:43 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

The parts tree for it is ax80009 and it is part 6 and ax30197. Check your manual. Or look for the instructions for the transmission
DioptricStraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:19 PM   #10
RCC Addict

In all the time ive had my AX10 ive never, EVER run a slipper. Ive only broken 1 outdrive and that was because the car got into a jam way far away from me when the driveshaft got jammed on the skid plate Ive only killed 2 or 3 spurs and that was due to bad mesh, and old age. In the end it boils down to skill and doing a good job of meshing the gears. I don't care what your running, you mesh it wrong, it will die. Ive killed hardened clutch-bells on my truggy by improperly meshing them, and i wasn't thrashing the car either
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:54 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagedcbr View Post
I fully agree with Duuuuuuuude, I would rather a readily available part let go than some other part that may take a week or more to order. Also loose the slipper, I changed out my slipper because it was just annoying I knew the truck could do what I was trying to get it to do and of course the slipper would kick in. I had it as tight as it would go too.
Yes, I prefer not to have the weight of a slipper that I don't need...keep a spare spurgear, watch your mesh, and replace the flexy stock motorplate with East End Machining or Billet-Works.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:06 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Are there any 32p spurs that will work???
92LILREDYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:35 PM   #13
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92LILREDYJ View Post
Are there any 32p spurs that will work???
There are a few. I don't remember any part numbers though, I just matched up the size and mounting holes with a stock Axial spur at the LHS.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:29 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DioptricStraw View Post
The parts tree for it is ax80009 and it is part 6 and ax30197. Check your manual. Or look for the instructions for the transmission
i know the plastic one axial has, but i'm thinking of alum elimin's that i see on dirt oval cars, a search on hobby stores brings up nothing as thet are named different then slip eliminaters........bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:44 AM   #15
RCC Addict

I was running a 21.5T brushless system and destroyed a few spurs. This is what I'm running now:
http://www.liquidrc.com/index.php?ma...ducts_id=55477
I'd also recommend picking up a better that stock motor plate. A little flex can hurt ya:
http://billet-works.com/axial_ax-10_parts

Finally make sure the mesh of the spur and pinion have a little play. When I first got into this hobby I destroyed one just because the mesh was too tight.
TC09mini is offline   Reply With Quote