Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Ox's Moonbuggy Sportsman Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2011, 12:58 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Ox's Moonbuggy Sportsman Build

Rainy day so finally getting around to starting this build. Like others I picked up a stock AX10 and started researching. A couple mods (4 pt, simple/free ones) and I realized I should just pick up the parts and build one and upgrade as need be and have a 2nd crawler around.

For now I just have parts pics as I'm going through checking things out, realizing I need some parts/pieces here and there and a cold beer. Still need to mirror the tranny and play with weights on the rims and finish assembling it.

• T1E Moonbuggy Shafty Chassis/links/plates/hardware with Revo #5347 endlinks. Note-contact Rockshow for one as they aren't on the site.
  • Rooster Crawler ESC w/ plans to upgrade.
  • Hitec 7950TH
  • CC BEC
  • Crawler Innovations Servo Guard
  • Rear axle with underdrive gears, gunnar hex pins, and gunnar beef toobs.
  • Front axle with high clearance knuckles, clockable C's, gunnar hex pins, and gunnar beef toobs. It has BTA setup on it currently-still debating on keeping it or not.
  • Tekin 35T Crawler Motor
  • MIP drive shafts-ordering gunnar cvd pins
  • AX10 tranny with steel outputs and non slipper Robinson Racing spur.
  • Duratrax Evader Shocks all around-stock springs
  • Stock berg rims
  • Double Deuce foams with Sedona white dots
  • Body panels TBD-3 ring folder looking like a good candidate or a PBR can
  • Batteries are currently 850mah 2s lipos to get started.
  • TX/RX-Spektrum DX3R and SR3000
Thanks to the folks with the informative/moonbuggy threads (too many to list) and the f/s forum esp. dstrbd1 as I picked up the axles/motor/tranny from him from his rig.
OxInYourBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2011, 01:32 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Can't wait to see this built, been contemplating a bodiless build. I used those springs on the rear of my GC3A and found them a bit stiff. The Duratrax white (soft) springs I had on the front were pretty good though.
cagedcbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:03 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I can't wait too!
cornsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:06 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I've used the Evader shocks on two builds. I did end up converting to internal springs, but thyey work well.
jagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:18 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

The plate in the bottom of the picture in font of the chassis look interesting, is that for the axle and has that other plate for electronics mounting?

I've never used the Evader shocks just the springs, I got the springs off of some broken shocks my hobby shop owner had laying around. But I did take a second look at the shocks and other than the diferent front and rear lengths I thought they looked nice.
cagedcbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:33 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Thanks everyone. The springs will definitely change as I get a feel for it. I need to do a shock cap mod to them as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagedcbr View Post
The plate in the bottom of the picture in font of the chassis look interesting, is that for the axle and has that other plate for electronics mounting?
Yep-I have it upside down in the pic though. Battery tray/servo mount/4 point. The smaller tray I've seen used for RXs on other builds.

Side note-I hate taking bearings out of alu carriers. Got em in the freezer now-the larger ones on the carriers don't give me any way to press them out.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:48 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

That's a nice pile-o-parts ya' got goin' there Ox...should be a nice little rig
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:31 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepyCrawl View Post
That's a nice pile-o-parts ya' got goin' there Ox...should be a nice little rig

Thanks-I need to pick up a couple misc screws I forgot about but should be rolling tonight.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:15 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Got some time tonight to play with it. Got the links/shocks/tranny/motor mounted. Went to replace the steering knuckle bearings-larger ones are pretty f'n stuck. In the freezer for now so hopefully they'll push out easier in the am.

Stock AX10 in the background.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:03 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

sweet
gatecreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:58 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

This and other RC's have been sitting on my tables for a while-work took a hell of a busy turn. Even missed a few comps that I signed up for to have this built (including one today). Worked on it today along with cleaning off the poker table for games and organizing the 7 RC's I have (2 crawlers, 2 pedes built (probably 2+ more in parts), 1/16 slash vxl, Ofna Hyper 10SC, Savage Flux HP).

Still need to clean some things up and decide on an ESC. With the Goat I couldn't fit the RX in beside it and not hit the ESC under flex. So the RX for now is in an interesting spot while I get the truck sorted. Just a quick run around the house and crawling over all the other RC's was impressive. I also wasn't able to pull the larger bearings out of the aluminum knuckles-gonna try some better penetrating oil before tossing them-both bearings are toast from my attempts.

Onto the pics:

Still haven't swapped over from the stock axial rims to the berg rims but will be doing that soon. Loving the Cow RC mats and products as well having just got them in the past couple weeks.

Hopefully quicker updates and action pics soon.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:06 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I love the UGC sticker! Rig looks DoPe!
cornsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:52 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Your gonna love it, my AX has never run so well.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:28 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Your gonna love it, my AX has never run so well.
Just playing with it around the house was a hell of difference. Granted all I've messed with is a stock AX10 and SCX10 but it was a great difference. Still need to dial it in and decide on the servo (7950 may be overkill lol) and final ESC but for now it's rocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnake View Post

I love the UGC sticker! Rig looks DoPe!
Thanks man! I've been checking out yours and stormins along with a few other moonbuggy builds. Definitely a sweet setup for sure.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:14 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Dude that thing is beefcake! those chassis are freakin sweet!

so what speed control are you thinking about replacing the rooster with?

also is there a such thing as overkill on steering strength? i ordered that same servo for my AX PD.
Mr. crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:44 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. crawl View Post
Dude that thing is beefcake! those chassis are freakin sweet!

so what speed control are you thinking about replacing the rooster with?

also is there a such thing as overkill on steering strength? i ordered that same servo for my AX PD.

Thanks! Not sure on the ESC but I'm thinking about taking my MMP and putting it into my Stampede and using the Sidewinder from that in this rig for a lower profile ESC and 3S capability. Decisions decisions.

Not sure on the steering strength-I've seen some threads but nothing too concrete. I got a great deal on it so figured why not. I'm planning on running it at 6V if I do use it.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:53 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Ox, I'm running the old school Mamba Max my MB, I love it's smoothness at start ups and the brakes are great since the software was changed. I bought a Mamba Micro Pro it's tiny weighs nothing. I haven't installed it yet, but if it's as smooth as it's grandfather with great brakes I'll be in heaven.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:36 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Ox, I'm running the old school Mamba Max my MB, I love it's smoothness at start ups and the brakes are great since the software was changed. I bought a Mamba Micro Pro it's tiny weighs nothing. I haven't installed it yet, but if it's as smooth as it's grandfather with great brakes I'll be in heaven.

Good to know. I sold the MMP but may get the micro.

Today a buddy came over with his SCX and a just finished last night XR10. One of my other hobbies is reef aquariums and I happened to have some dry base rock. Being short on time we tossed the rock on the back deck (98 or so degrees here today) and commenced to scratching our new rigs.

Couple quick pics-I need to upload the video of me running around. Loving this crawler-great to drive. Wasn't anything it couldn't do. Looking forward to more challenging obstacles.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:56 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Looks good OX you've got the right spring set up. You might want to give the lowest upper link holes on the chassis a try. When I went there the truck got real good. On the front axle link mount, I'm on the under side with my links using those lower link holes on the chassis. I think you'll like the set-up.

Last edited by Stormin2u; 07-14-2011 at 07:00 AM.