Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: dna dig no 4wd

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2011, 06:15 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default dna dig no 4wd

I purchased a dna dig with steel internals just under a year ago but have been using it half that time. (It's worked perfectly until today!) Plus my truck didn't see much usage in the winter. I run 8.4 volts and a moderateley geared 45t so it's not a real torque monster either.

So here it is, every thing seemed fine when during some very light testing today 4wd stopped working. Prior to this it gave no signs of slippage, also I tried resetting my epa's to know avail. Dig and free wheel work fine. Just wanted advice before I pulled it apart.

Also how often is inspecting and replacing parts on a dna dig with the steel internals recomended. And finally what kind of service should I do to keep it trouble free in the future. I appreciate everyones help. Thanks.
Bukwylde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2011, 06:36 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Check the small collar on the engagement shaft at the back og the dig.
Mine was slightly loose and would engage 4wd until slight pressure was applied then it would disengage
day215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:35 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by day215 View Post
Check the small collar on the engagement shaft at the back og the dig.
Mine was slightly loose and would engage 4wd until slight pressure was applied then it would disengage
The collar is tight. Even when I push in on the shaft with my finger it still doesn't engage.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:26 PM   #4
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

Set screw loose on the front dog piece, tranny output will turn, but the dog doesn't? Does the front axle have power?
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:58 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

x2...can you turn the rear wheels by hand without the fronts moving when in 4wd?

-
TOMCAT18T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:08 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnar View Post
Set screw loose on the front dog piece, tranny output will turn, but the dog doesn't? Does the front axle have power?
Yes the front axle has power. I did install the dig myself but I'm not sure what you mean by the "dog piece".

For a bit more info, I disconnected the servo horn, held in the actuator shaft in by hand and manually turned the rear wheels by hand. Still free wheeling with only an occasiopnal catch.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:22 PM   #7
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

The DNA has a special rear output that bolts onto the lower gear on the tranny. Then a round gear with teeth (dogs) slips onto that and the set screw is tightened. If the setscrew/gear comes loose, the front will have power, the rear will just spin(or hang up).
Old 04-08-2011, 09:26 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

happen to have a camera handy...

Seperate the dig from the trans via the 3 (or 4?) screws...this is what the drive dog looks like(please note in this pic the dog is attached to the rear trans outdrive not installed in trans)...It should be attached to the outdrive via set screw. That outdrive will have a flat side...make sure you tighten the screw there.

Hope it helps...

-

Last edited by TOMCAT18T; 04-08-2011 at 09:32 PM.
TOMCAT18T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:31 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnar View Post
The DNA has a special rear output that bolts onto the lower gear on the tranny. Then a round gear with teeth (dogs) slips onto that and the set screw is tightened. If the setscrew/gear comes loose, the front will have power, the rear will just spin(or hang up).
This sounds like it, (I hope) First comp of the season is on sunday and I doubt I'll be able to get parts before then. But I really don't think it was anything catostrophic because I truly was driving lightly, it seemed to be working, fine then it took a 6-8 inch roll then voila no more rear power.

I'm going to start working on it first thing in the morning. I'll let you know how I made out. Thanks
Old 04-08-2011, 09:34 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Thanks Tomcat! Your pic really helps also. You guys are friggin awsome!
Old 04-09-2011, 08:28 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Gunnar and tomcat I just wanted to thank you both it was the set screw. Easy fix, I'll be putting it all back together as soon as I'm done here. I really appreciate the quick responce and all the info. I'll be able to make the comp tomorrow where I'll probably strip some gears because I'm going to 3s and a cobalt puller 500 with 89t spur gear and 12t pinion. I have steel internals but I'm trying to save weight so I have'nt installed them yet. Whats your opinion on the aluminum tranny gears while I have your attention. Thanks a million guys!
Old 04-09-2011, 08:46 AM   #12
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

Robinson Racing makes a hardened aluminium bottom gear and a steel idler gear for your transmission.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:36 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

yeah that set screw came loose and my rig did the same thing loc-tite is your best friend right there .......bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:37 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1961 View Post
yeah that set screw came loose and my rig did the same thing loc-tite is your best friend right there .......bob

Yeah I used loctite when I assembled it, but only the stock blue stuff. I put the red on now! I probably won't ever be able to get it off again, but it certainly won't happen at the comp tomorrow thats for sure!
Old 04-10-2011, 08:37 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

while the questions are being answered in regards to the DNA dig, im currently running mine as 4wd only, have the selector ziptied to the servo plate while I work out a standard size servo mount and linkage..

Question is.. I click.. im unsure if its the Dig, the 55Turn novak or even possibly the pinion screw hitting the spur, but is there anything internally on the dig unit that may cause a click!? i'll strip the pinion off the motor tonight in an attempt to track it down, and will get pics/vid of it if its not the pinion.. but just while at the PC figured id ask...

sp33d
Foolsp33d is offline   Reply With Quote