Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: School me on the drag brake or what does Axial use for "roll control"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2011, 08:53 PM   #1

Default School me on the drag brake or what does Axial use for "roll control"

Some of you may have seen my thread in the newbie general area asking to compare the AX-10 to the Losi Nightcrawler. At this point, the biggest thing I like about the Losi over the AX is that the worm gear setup in the axle means that it simply won't roll when you let off the throttle on any incline, which I've personally experienced. My question is, what does Axial offer as "roll control"? How does the drag brake in the ESC work? What happens when you let off the throttle on an incline? I'm looking to purchase an AX-10 RTC, so I would be using whatever comes with it for now. I really like the axial, but for some reason I'm hooked on the staying power of the Losi.
LowLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2011, 09:03 PM   #2
RCC Addict

My understanding is that the ESC controls the power going to the engine. With this it actually creates a electro magnetic brake on the motor itself. I find it more to real life than a worm drive system.
I understand there is a huge following for the Losi worm drive. I personally find them effective in the Micro platform. But, I prefer ring gears on the 1/10th scale. Too each there own. As far as the RTC, Eventually you will more than likely will upgrade the ESC.
DRV KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:50 AM   #3

Yes, in the AX you need an electro-magnetic brake (hill brake, hand brake) controlled from the esc.

As with everything, worm gears do not only have advantages:
They have more friction, thus more wear, you have to shim them carefully, gearing and finding the right motor/esc-combo is more demanding...

Yours,
Martin
ernie28ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:02 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Drag brake is (as far as i know) actually achieved by shorting the motor to stop the rotation
DioptricStraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:17 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

with the ax10 rtc i use the novak rooster and as far as the brake go's it is a magnetic brake just like DioptricStraw says which I agree to is that the esc shorts the motor giving power to both left and right magnetics
9700trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:20 AM   #6
Suck it up!

If you want to be a hot dog and get lots of "oooo's" and "aaaaah" when you come to a dead stop on an 80* incline, then get the Losi.

Otherwise, if Axials drag brake was that bad, don't you think we'd all be driving something different?
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:57 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Make sure the ESC you use has a drag brake, and make sure it's turned all the way up. Then pick a motor with the strongest magnets you can find. That combo will give you the strongest hill-holding power possible short of the Losi's worm driven axles.

My combo is a Rooster Crawler and a Mag Mayhem motor(22t single with a bigger can/bigger magnets than most lathe motors).
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:01 PM   #8
RCC Addict

LowLock, have you driven a Losi? When you let off the throttle, you stop. I mean right now. Like instantly. Like hitting an immovable wall. I almost bought a Losi comp crawler when they first hit and were the best thing since sliced bread, now I'm glad I didn't.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:04 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Make sure you purchase the RTC with the new AE-2 esc, then you can tune drag brake with a castle link.

The better of a driver you become, the less you will need to rely on stuff like this anyway. IMO

i can hang a box stock RTC with an AE-1 on a rock with my throttle finger.
16hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:37 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16hp View Post
i can hang a box stock RTC with an AE-1 on a rock with my throttle finger.
Where the AE-1 killed me was downhill, coasting down a technical section was near imposible. Lovin' my Sidewinder!
GRIMGREG is offline   Reply With Quote