Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: What weight are you running your Axial crawler?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2011, 11:32 PM   #1

Cool What weight are you running your Axial crawler?

So I've been reading alot on guys shredding weight on their crawlers. Then some guys who are not so worried about the weight of their crawler. I'm running a all aluminum AX10 and its weighing with wheels and battery 7lbs even. What are you running? I have no probems with traction, but still in the testing phases to see if running heavy has its benifits.

So what are you running for weight?
Attached Images

CRAZYD64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2011, 11:34 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Last I weighed my rig, right around 4.5-5 lbs. Reason why i am giving a range is the car alone was to heavy for the scale and it has been changed slightly. I try and aim for a lighter rig all around since it is easier for me to crawl and I notice it really crawls better. I am running zero wheel weights, custom milled Delrin rims and standard electronics so it is what it is.

7 lbs means traction isn't an issue due to weight, the lighter you go on a rig, the more cautious you need to be with setups in the suspension to keep your traction
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:45 PM   #3

Yeah I can see that with the lighter rigs and suspension. I'm going to make two more crawlers. So just throwing around the low weight with carbon fiber and delrin etc. Was thinking of doing the same thing with no wheel weights on one of the crawlers using some VP wheels. Get as light as I can get it with the weight evenly distributed. Of course might have to put a tad in the front. But we will see. I was going to do all carbon fiber truck, with all light weight gears, and even carbon fiber upper links with lower high clearance delrin or titanium links. And every thing minus the skid plate and axles carbon fiber. Be something cool to try.
CRAZYD64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:31 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAZYD64 View Post
Yeah I can see that with the lighter rigs and suspension. I'm going to make two more crawlers. So just throwing around the low weight with carbon fiber and delrin etc. Was thinking of doing the same thing with no wheel weights on one of the crawlers using some VP wheels. Get as light as I can get it with the weight evenly distributed. Of course might have to put a tad in the front. But we will see. I was going to do all carbon fiber truck, with all light weight gears, and even carbon fiber upper links with lower high clearance delrin or titanium links. And every thing minus the skid plate and axles carbon fiber. Be something cool to try.
For me to keep the weight where I want it, I throw all the electronics up front and leave it there . I have to say that Delrin is very nice but a little flexy. I have some aluminum chassis plates that are pretty light but in Delrin they feel like they could float away. Carbon is cool but somewhat difficult to work in, I would personally stick with heavily pocketed aluminum or Delrin

Other trick to a light rig is electronics, run the lightest stuff you can, that's going to make a huge difference
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:08 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

"the lighter you go on a rig, the more cautious you need to be with setups in the suspension to keep your traction"

Could you give a little more detail about the setup needed for a lighter-weight rig? Do you soften the spring pre-load, softer or harder springs, etc.
waltgpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:38 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

You have to tune your suspension in to get more traction. Also cutting tires(siping) helps. Any thing you can do to aid in getting the traction back because it WILL go away when you go light. I just took a whole pound out of my tires... down to 3oz in front and 0 in the rears. I have problems with the rig staying on lines and traction. NOW where there is traction it is crazy good. It will pull itself around/up anything that has traction(i mean crazy verts it would not do before), but slip on some easy stuff with a smooth face. Everything you do to your rig is a give and take. Light weight is not for everyone, and not for every terrain. Im still testing mine where I crawl the most. I would recommend everyone try it out.

O and your real question lol the weight of my rig was 6.6lbs rtr now it is 5.6lbs rtr (both weights with a small 800mah lipo)

Last edited by 92LILREDYJ; 04-29-2011 at 07:42 AM. Reason: weight
92LILREDYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:46 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Lots of AX-10 owners I know are now running 5.5 - 6 pounds. My truck is 5.5 RTR ( link below ). For suspension you can use light springs and oil. Every effort to get the GOG lower is important especially if you run in the open 2.2 class with MOAs. The dig and servo adds weight in a high position in the rig.

There are many things you can do to lower your comp trucks weight. Like eliminate heavy or extra wiring, big long running batteries and all those super HD all steel redundant replacement parts can be lightened up, they might add reliability in the long run but will defiantly add lots of weight to your truck. You need the lightest equipment made and over weighting those wheels will jack up the total weight of a rig very quickly.

All of these things can add as much as a pound to a truck, Granted your driving style needs to be adjusted slightly to compensate because a light truck doesn't drive or feel like driving a fat rig. Plus those HD parts are replaced with less durable ones. But for those who want to use the AX-10 to compete against MOAs in the open class it's a must. They will need to get serious about putting their rig on a diet and lose some weight it usually results in a less bullet proof machine.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:57 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I used to run a heavy Axial, back in the day...2008, 2009. I had to run heavier springs, and more weight in the wheels to keep things planted. The rig itself was close to 7lb rtr and I have about 7oz added to each front wheel plus 3 oz added to each rear wheel.

Now, I run an AX10 as a sportsman truck, and it is in the 5 to 5 1/2 lb range rtr. Now, I run VP SLW wheels w/ no weight added to the rear and 4 1/2 oz added to each front. I'm also able to run Losi Gold springs all around on this rig.

This thing climbs, descends, and sidehills far better than I would have thought possible back then. With less weight, it climbs far steeper rocks than the heavier rigs as you're not fighting to try to get all that weight going.

I took it to ECC to play with after I was done with my courses and I was able to make climbs with my no-dig Axial that several people were struggling to make with their Bergs.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:00 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I agree Twin, I've run some pretty heavy rigs in the past to. Making the moving into lighter trucks for most AX-10 owners has been a forced evolution to just stay some what competitive against the Bergs, Bullies, Losi and now you can add the XR-10 to the list of vehicles that in many ways are superior mechanical advantages. All of which makes no difference unless you like running in the 2.2 open class.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:03 PM   #10
Suck it up!

Mine runs 5.4 lbs ready to go. I may add just a tad bit more to the front, but otherwise I like it.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:33 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

I was at 5lbs with a stick pack, 5 oz in the front wheels, 1.75oz in the rear wheels (each). I have since gone Lipo and added DIG, and haven't re-weighed since, but would guess I'm about the same. I don't think overall weight matters as much as where the weight is on the crawler, get it as low and towards the front as possible seems to be the best.
GRIMGREG is offline   Reply With Quote