Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Best way to spend 200 bucks..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2011, 06:06 PM   #1

Smile Best way to spend 200 bucks..

OK got a spare 200 dollars no put in my truck.
Current set up:
Frogger chassis
Axial electronics
Ae-2
Radio
Servo
Receiver
Motor 55t
6 cell pack on front axail
Vp four link plates front and rear
Home built links
Rovers
Axail bead locks
Intergy drive shafts
Vp shock razors
traxis big bore shocks with red springs and cap mod

What im thinking about, radio, servo, wheels, lipos, charger, dig and motor.
I know cant do it all but thinking servo and lipos for know...
Which way would you go?
Help me spend it. No I wont send to you... I know its coming.
Mr Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2011, 06:18 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Definately get you a nice 3 channel radio set-up.
It usually runs fine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:22 PM   #3

Was kind thinking the new dx3c. Retails 130.00.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:24 PM   #4
RCC Addict

A good 35t br00d motor, 3s or 4s lipo, holmes brlx esc or w/e it's called.
shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:26 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
OK got a spare 200 dollars no put in my truck.
Current set up:
Frogger chassis
Axial electronics
Ae-2
Radio
Servo - High Torque servo like- Hi-Tec HS-7950, 7954, or 7955
Receiver
Motor 55t - I'd get 35 Turn Holmes or Brood
6 cell pack on front axail - LIPO LIPO LIPO
Vp four link plates front and rear
Home built links
Rovers
Axail bead locks
Intergy drive shafts
Vp shock razors
traxis big bore shocks with red springs and cap mod

What im thinking about, radio, servo, wheels, lipos, charger, dig and motor.
I know cant do it all but thinking servo and lipos for know...
Which way would you go?
Help me spend it. No I wont send to you... I know its coming.
You're on the right track, Servo and Lipo will be a huge improvement. I think you're good with the new Axial ESC, it's basically a sidewinder with their name on it. For lipo check out www.hobbypartz.com. I'd get the Sky Lipo 3 Cell 1000's with 40c for like $9 bucks ( I buy 3 ) and while you're there grab a Thunder AC6 charger (if you need a lipo charger) for around $50 and it's free shipping. I mentioned what servo i'd get up top, the 7955 is the best price and the 7950 is the best servo....but they are all good. When it's time for a radio and receiver Spektrum has the new DX3C coming out soon that will be a great price and perfect for Crawling. Your wheels are fine but when you want to get some I'd go Vanquish all the way with DH's up front and SLW's in back. I honestly don't think you need dig on the AX10 but if you want one get the Vanquish Dig. I listed the motor up top, I really believe you get what you pay for but if on a budget the Integy's are good enough. Def. get 35 turn. Also get the overdrive gears for the front axle, they really help. A BTA steering kit is nice and when you upgrade your servo you're gonna want to replace the plastic knuckles and c's with aluminum because the high torque servo will break the knuckles immediately, and Vanquish is the best choice again for those parts.
James003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 03:01 AM   #6
Croakin' across the pond!

Save 15 bucks fo some Vanquish Razors - the Frogger needs them and the should be top of the list. Overdrive the front, and if you can push the boat out, underdrive the rear. Lipo's are nice but you only need small ones - 800mAh 2S and you can get these for $15 from cheapbatterypacks. Motor again is nice to have but I'd sort the chassis first. I run a 55T Novak combo and will keep that in the Frogger - it does OK.

If you go motor, esc and battery - say a Torquemaster combo from Holmes, and lipo as above then you'll still have enough left for the Razors and one axle bevel set!
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:29 AM   #7

Dasher I already have razors on rear. What is axle bevel set? Im thinking servo is top of the list right now.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:52 AM   #8
RCC Addict

One of the best improvements will be a beveled gear set front and rear. 43/13 in the rear and 36/14 in the front. Throw in some Beef Toobs front and rear. Dollar for dollar this is your best money spent. By doing this will increase front wheel speed and slow down the rear. Will make all the difference in torque twist. Beef Toobs For strength and weight.

Last edited by DRV KRAWLER; 04-30-2011 at 07:06 AM. Reason: additional info
DRV KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:34 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Default W

Your choices are many, but you need your money to go a long way. I'd suggest once you decide on a upgrade that you run a "Wanted" post in our "Wanted" section. It might be worth your time, you might be able to get more equipment upgrades if you buy used. Just a thought.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:24 AM   #10
Croakin' across the pond!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
Dasher I already have razors on rear. What is axle bevel set? Im thinking servo is top of the list right now.
Drv Krawler's answered the bevel gear question. If you change the servo, which is also well worth doing, and the motor then you will almost certainly have to budget for a BEC - only $20 though. I use pretty cheap 17kg servos - they're branded as "Power HD" but are probably some chinese thing. I've not managed to burn one but they do get a bit sloppy after three or four months hard use. At under $20 though you can afford to replace them occasionally.

If you're not putting a dig unit in it then definitely change at least one of the axles - ie overdrive the front or underdrive the rear - I've done both to my Frogger.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:34 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Arrow

Just a word of advice, if you order lipos from hobbypartz.com then order the "gens ace" batteries they are better than the rest of the lipos that they sell on the website. They are better than the sky lipo. blue lipo, and black lipos they have. I currently have 6 of the gens ace 1300 mAh 3s 25c batteries and they fit perfectly on the front top links (I have the bender SWX chassis if that makes a difference, not sure what kinda clearance you have on your chassis. But the nice thing is they list all the dimensions for the batteries too). But do order the Thunder AC6 charger, I have that one also. Good luck, sounds like you are off to a great start on your build.
CrawlerG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:57 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

I agree on the Thunder AC6, does what most chargers that are 2 or 3 times the price can do. I got the Sky brand Lipos, and no issues after 4 charge/use cycles. Bought the charger and 3 lipos for under $70.
GRIMGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:42 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I say o with a servo and one other part that you can fit into your budget.
SCORPIAN670 is offline   Reply With Quote