Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Hobbes 2.0

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2011, 01:04 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Cool Hobbes 2.0

So after the success of my first build thread {} I took my car to Florida with me and pulled a few rod ends, blew a few driveshafts, had a blast and figured out a few things to change on the car when I got back home... so here we go with the upgrade.

If your wondering why the car is called "Hobbes", Calvin got older and traded his tiger in for an AX10

Before Florida:

In Florida

Last known pic before the car got torn apart

Planned changes are:
Prototype Rocker chassis that is SLANTED like an MOA chassis to improve breakover

new BLACK Delrin rims with adjustable offset {same ones Duuude is running on his Fastback}

Narrower rims for the Sedonas

Losi shocs with modified caps, spring cups and RC18T blue "front" springs

Improved electronics, Sidewinder V2 with crawler programing... holy drag brake on a worn out Novak 55T motor

Clocked front knuckles with axle tubes

anything else that is evil that I want to put on it
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2011, 03:21 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Sorry for cell pics, ill get some better ones later with my real camera

Some dying later {first timer so feel free to bash it }

Some assembly later and were running 3.2" front and 3.8" rear... something tells me that something is SLIGHTLY wrong with this picture... just slightly
Old 04-30-2011, 05:04 PM   #3

Nice I like the orange color! The shocks look good let me know how they work with the new set up.
CRAZYD64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:24 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Thanks, its Rit "Tangerine" and I really like it!!! It is even more killer in person Notice a slight resemblance

As for the caps, they work amazing! I drove the car some before I tore it apart and I was pleased with the spring rate {45WT inside} and they are staying up front, the rears are staying big for now... time to lower this high-rider

Till I get the body-less upper made, the slant wont be so extreme, I am keeping it as is. I decided to throw it into a poser for the heck of it. I do like having the slanted skid, it is something simple but should help with breakovers...

Feel free to keep the comments coming, CAD drawings of the parts I intend to add later
Old 04-30-2011, 05:59 PM   #5
Suck it up!

Very nice.

I made a chassis with a slanted skid a while back. Its a great idea that no one has really latched onto in the shafty world. Good to see someone giving it a go.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:40 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Very nice.

I made a chassis with a slanted skid a while back. Its a great idea that no one has really latched onto in the shafty world. Good to see someone giving it a go.
Thanks, I have seen one, from a LONG TIME AGO that used a slanted skid. I said "why not give it a try." Funny part is it is the Rocker chassis MOA first proto that didn't work out so my friend shipped it back to me.

More work later, I got to deal with some binding on the front plate, and/or get my ground clearance in check, its still way to high. I am aiming for about 2.625-2.75 front and maybe near 3" rear, well see. I don't think a DIG would work well since it would put the driveshafts at even more of an extreme angle but if I have time I will mock it up with the Eritix dig I now have
Old 04-30-2011, 07:13 PM   #7
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawling Calvin View Post
Losi shocs with modified caps, spring cups and RC18T blue "front" springs
What shock caps are those?
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:33 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
What shock caps are those?
CW Crawlers {my own.} I made them as low-pro as I could, it is Black Delrin. So far they are holding amazing! The lower spring cups are also mine
Old 04-30-2011, 11:48 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Red face

So cool as the slant chassis is... for now its being taken off. Late Monday night or early Tuesday morning the car has to be on a UPS truck to Florida and I still need to finish my rims up and a few other things for it but fear not when I get home and life settles down I will give it another try. I may re-mill another one with less of a slant for a try. This chassis was originally designed for an MOA so it was extra steep on purpose!

Tomorrow I get to break out the dying equipment again to dye up an original Rocker chassis in white Delrin. Then Monday I will have my bodyless upper made, the car hopefully finished rocking the new rims and were good to go. I will say in the little bit of testing, with almost no front articulation, that having a slanted chassis is very interesting indeed! I think it would work with some refinement...
Old 05-01-2011, 11:23 PM   #10
RCC Addict

So some dying later... and I present to you the Orange Rocker

{before you say anything I know it is slanted back... more on that later}

While the chassis was soaking in the dye tank I turned into "Dr. Chassistein" and hacked up 2 poor "scrap" rockers {they had major machining flaws that made them unacceptable for sale.} I was mocking up how my uppers would mount for the bodyless upper I plan to mill Monday. So far this is what I came up with and I like the fact that I can easily prototype out a few different uppers super easy... hmmm

After some assembly I figured out one... MAJOR problem! The front shocks {running blue springs and 45 wt oil} are way stiffer than the rear whites and 45 wt oil... so to fix this will require switching back to white springs up front... not what I "wanted" to do but it will all work out in the end. I think I need to track down some softer front springs, and I will bring the gear to Florida with me to change between Losi springs and any soft ones I can find there for testing... in the meantime its a mad dash to finish up what needs to be done and work on getting the car on a truck to Florida!

As for the slant chassis if I have time I will mill one up and bring it with me. The major difference is the slant will NOT be as extreme. Between the two tranny mounts, 1.5" of travel, the whole mass moved up .5" which made for a REALLY steep slant. Great for the MOA prototype it is... BAD for a shafty I still think a pre-slanted chassis would be really nice so you don't have to mess with crazy shock angles, hmm food for thought
Old 05-01-2011, 11:33 PM   #11
Try to Bend it

Angled skid, and I am sure I am not the first maybe not as severe but angled none the less.

Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:33 PM   #12
Suck it up!

For reference, here's a shot of my slanted chassis. I thought I had a better pic, but I can't find it at the moment.

There isn't much rise, but its still noticable when looking straight on from the side. I sent this one to Manning to test for a while, and he seemed to like it. I never really ran it in its aluminum form, but the plastic proto I built seemed to really benifit from the slanted skid.

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 05-01-2011 at 11:35 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:35 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Highlucks: I meant the slant was "machined into" the skid like all the MOA chassis seem to have...

Duuuuuude: WOOO SHINY! That aside that seems familiar... someone made a chassis for the AX10 that used springless front shocks, sprung rears and was pretty much a 60/40 setup, that was interesting, is that the same as the one pictured?

I am starting to debate a tapered skid also, hmm maybe well have the Pretzel chassis next
Old 05-01-2011, 11:41 PM   #14
Suck it up!

This?

Old 05-01-2011, 11:43 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
This?

Yeah I think so. Didn't you re-make it in aluminum from the original in aluminum?

Man those are some LAID DOWN SHOCKS... torque twist an issue
Old 05-01-2011, 11:46 PM   #16
Suck it up!

Quote:
Yeah I think so. Didn't you re-make it in aluminum from the original in aluminum?

Man those are some LAID DOWN SHOCKS... torque twist an issue
I remade it in aluminum the way I wanted it to be, using the original delrin chassis as a base design. The original wouldn't handle a Puller motor.

TT wasn't too bad. Its all in the tuning.

Here's the original Creeping Death chassis with drooped Revo shocks.

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 05-01-2011 at 11:48 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:48 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
I remade it in aluminum the way I wanted it to be, using the original delrin chassis as a base design. The original wouldn't handle a Puller motor.

TT wasn't too bad. Its all in the tuning.
Right right... well I did a quick googling and it "seems like" the only chassis that have any kind of pre-slant are MOA... well it won't be the first time I have broken the mold I know i can't go to wacky but I think at least .25" rise should be better than none!
Old 05-01-2011, 11:52 PM   #18
Suck it up!

Quote:
Right right... well I did a quick googling and it "seems like" the only chassis that have any kind of pre-slant are MOA... well it won't be the first time I have broken the mold
I edited my previous post with a shot of the Creeping Death, which has a kicked up skid and has been around for a while. There was one other that I have seen that has it, but I forget its name. I want to say Reign made it, but I'm not sure.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:55 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
I edited my previous post with a shot of the Creeping Death, which has a kicked up skid and has been around for a while. There was one other that I have seen that has it, but I forget its name. I want to say Reign made it, but I'm not sure.
Got it... it is still a cool design for those who like droop rigs... as for me I love spring rigs. If time lets me I want to see if the "circle shock mounts" on the Rocker is really the best vs. the usual designs... this should be fun
Old 05-02-2011, 12:30 AM   #20
Try to Bend it

Semantic I know, but the slingshot has an angled skid from the machining. Angled front and rear, but still angled. As posted on the BWD web site it was the first chassis (or production chassis) to have a curved skid.
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote