Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Stock Rock Lizards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2011, 04:43 AM   #1

Default Stock Rock Lizards

So I'm getting a Scorpion AX10 later today and I was wondering what would be the best simple mod to the stock tires. I've seen people cut off every other lug, weights, drill holes, etc. I'm a newbie and this is my first crawler. Thanks for any advice.
red08yota is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2011, 05:34 AM   #2

I cooked them for nearly an hour or so and they will be softer, then I cut them. Important is to cut the inlet of the tires. The foam wont be so good - its to big. PB and holes in the tires is standard.

I hope my englsish wasgood enough - I am german.

CU
Ralf
petterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:26 AM   #3
No idea what I'm doing

Experiment all you want...there's not much you can do to make stock Rock Lizards any worse. As you get more time on your truck though, you'll definitely want to look into some upgraded tires.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:14 AM   #4

Yeah I'm planning on just using them for a couple of weeks until I can upgrade them. What would be a good upgrade tire for the money? Not planning on any comps just messin around the house on some wood and bricks. Maybe a little indoors around the house.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:42 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

HB Rovers are prolly your best tire for the money.
Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:30 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Dependind on what rocks are the majority in your area I would go with either 2.2 Rock Beast Pitbulls or Boss Claws. Rovers and sedonas are WAY too common here at rcc IMO
EEM-CrawlinMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:41 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

the rock lizards make good tires for a Slash MT conversion.
Not much use for a crawler.

Watch the for sale section. You can usually pick up decent tires cheap from the guys who like to experiment with whatever is latest and greatest.
Mud Puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:52 AM   #8
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEM-CrawlinMachine View Post
Rovers and sedonas are WAY too common here at rcc IMO
That may be true, but there's a good reason why. You can often pick up a set of white dot Rovers for $12 a pair, and bang for the buck that's tough to beat.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:55 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
That may be true, but there's a good reason why. You can often pick up a set of white dot Rovers for $12 a pair, and bang for the buck that's tough to beat.
X2 and they work. Can't beat that.
Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:13 PM   #10

yeah just mess around with them and when u upgrade go sedonas or hb rovers they are the best out there IMO
lil' losi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:21 PM   #11
WAM
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Dependind on what rocks are the majority in your area I would go with either 2.2 Rock Beast Pitbulls or Boss Claws. Rovers and sedonas are WAY too common here at rcc IMO
Went shopping for red Boss Claws. Wound up buying white Rovers. You can't buy what they don't have.
WAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:49 PM   #12

Think I'm going to start out with some rovers then experiment with others later on when I save up some cash.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:02 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by red08yota View Post
Think I'm going to start out with some rovers then experiment with others later on when I save up some cash.
I have driven both rovers and sedonas in my car and nothing really against sedonas but on my rig I love rovers! Plus TCS still has a good deal on them!
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:31 PM   #14

Being that I've never driven a crawler, how much better are aftermarket tires than stock. Like what couldn't you climb before or is there a before and after vid anywhere?
Old 07-01-2011, 09:54 PM   #15
cherry bomb

Quote:
Being that I've never driven a crawler, how much better are aftermarket tires than stock. Like what couldn't you climb before or is there a before and after vid anywhere?
if you didn't NEED to upgrade, there wouldn't be as many aftermarket options as there are. also rock lizzards are the worst crawler tire around and everyone know's that, and the majority of people on this forum have had them and not a single person still runs them. go read some build threads, you may be suprised as to how many people are still using the tires that came with their crawler (slim to none)

crawl with the crawler as it comes, like you said its your first you will have a ton of fun, and probably think the tires are decent, but once you can get your hands on a set of aftermarket tires you will think those lisards are junk (you wont even be able to sell them, many have tried, i've thrown away a couple sets )
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:09 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

rock lizards are way too stiff,but i was using mine recently and they did surprisingly well but then bolted up some loaner mayhems weighted with rovers and it was such a jump in the amount or terrain the rovers opened up for me.

didn't go with em tho,got some modded panther cougars and khaos/rovers for some comp status. The panthers do remarkably awesome too!! was told it was due to them being well used tho.

either way get some rovers or sadonas,both are decently priced and work 100% better than the lizards.
Mr. crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:33 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Like CHUD already said. There is an extremely good reason why. Those two tires are the best tires money can buy.
shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:40 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

i think chisel are good tires.i like them very much and they are not so expensive.other than chisel i would think at Boss Claws
Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 05:47 PM   #19
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Here is what you can do... Run the stock Lizards for a while, try a few of the mods and see if they improve.. Then as time and money allows, upgrade to one of the many recommended comp tires of today and you WILL notice a BIG difference in the traction, I promise.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:53 PM   #20
WAM
Rock Crawler

Quote:
As a matter of fact there is. The video is in this thread, but you'll want to pay attention to the whole thread.

K.O.M.'s Newbie Comp Build

Here's the lowest I've seen for Rover/whites:
http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/67772-ho...ft-p-1323.html

But lotsa sites have decent prices on them and it may come down to shipping charges to see who actually has the best deal.
WAM is offline   Reply With Quote