Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Electronic help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2011, 04:30 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Electronic help.

Hi guys recently I bought a used Axial AX10 Scorpion, came with a metal gear servo brand unknown no sticker. Duratrax 8t racing speed controller 55t axial motor. Well sometimes its fine and other times its not. Every now and then it when turning right the servo tweaks and make a funny sound causing everything not to function. Throttle and reverse don't respond. This rig has seen better days.

Can the servos cause this? I think the speed controller is fine not the best but fine for now. I've purchased a 2.4ghz Losi Spektrum ready radio for it witch I thought the old FM radio that came with it could be the problem. But it's not both radios are working fine.

Here's a little video, sorry i'm feeling a little under the weather note my excitement.
Future upgrades will be a Tekin FXR w/55t motor jk body and a few other goodies, and possibly a new servo asap.

http://youtu.be/v0gpCS7Fl-Y

Last edited by RCBreeze; 10-09-2011 at 05:05 PM.
RCBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2011, 05:07 PM   #2

I have had similar probs and yes it was my servo. i opened my servo up and found that the little brushed motor in it thay were shorting out so i just got a new one and it is fine.
Slimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:10 PM   #3
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBreeze View Post
......came with a metal gear servo brand unknown no sticker.
Went downstairs and checked my 'box-o-spare-stuff' because I thought it might have been a Hitec servo, but all my Futabas have that bump on top where your tag has fallen off.

Quote:
Every now and then it when turning right the servo tweaks and make a funny sound causing everything not to function. Throttle and reverse don't respond. Can the servos cause this?
Yes. Would need to know if the ESC was getting hotter than one would think it should be. Very well might be the motor or control board inside the servo shorts, overdraws and overheats the ESC's internal BEC, causing it to 'thermal' or shut down. Even if the servo wasn't bad, digital servos are notorious for having rather heavy amp draws when they start moving, and at least capable of causing very similar symptoms. I don't have enough experience with servo innards to be able to identify a digital or analog servo visually.

Quote:
Duratrax 8t racing speed controller 55t axial motor. I think the speed controller is fine not the best but fine for now.
Is there solder under the black vinyl tape? In something like a low amp draw 55 turn crawler motor it might not be as critical, but on some of my other go-fast R/C's, just twisting wires together wouldn't cut it.

Quote:
Future upgrades will be ..... and possibly a new servo asap.
Not a bad idea. Maybe a Castle Creations 10 amp BEC, too?
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:24 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

9 times out of 10 this means that you need an external bec on your truck to provide enough amps to run your esc and servo while turning. Basically your esc is probaly trying to reset while turning because of the amp pull of the servo. This has happened to me on every truck i have ever messed with
PowerCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:24 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerCrazy View Post
9 times out of 10 this means that you need an external bec on your truck to provide enough amps to run your esc and servo while turning. Basically your esc is probaly trying to reset while turning because of the amp pull of the servo. This has happened to me on every truck i have ever messed with
I've order a Castle Creations BEC, I'll install when it arrives and let you know. Thanks for that, sometimes it hurts being a newbie.
RCBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote