Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: maintenance?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default maintenance?

I've only been out a few times and everytime it seems something comes loose. So I thought I'd start a checklist for what to tighten. Occasionally I'll try to check everything, but I'd like a list of common things to check each time I go.

So far the driveshaft grub screws and wheel nuts have loosened up. So those are on the list. What other screws tend to loosen up?
Hardline is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2011, 02:14 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

loctite and nylock nuts are your best friend.
I use nylock nuts on everything that has enough room for them to fit and as for everything else use blue loctite. I try to let the screws with loctite on them sit at least 12 hours before i go out and beat on my rig.
Goatsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:28 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I recently too, have been fighting my driveshaft set screws that keep coming loose. Here's what I did, I took apart the transmission and pulled out the output gear and drilled a hole clean through it. I thought my AX10 had steel outputs, but it actually had hard-coated aluminum ones. When they break I'm gonna replace it with a Robinson unit.

Loctite is bad on plastics as it is petroleum based, which could weaken the plastic. I'm sure it's been talked about, but a drop of CA works wonders for screws that thread into plastic.

If the Blue doesn't work, try a lil of the Red, just remember to hit it with a soldering iron to help break the chemical bond.
Devil Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:11 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

All good info, thanks. But not what I asked. I'm looking for a short-list of things to lash down every time I use the rig. Up till now I've been identifying them the hard way. Maybe wheels and driveshafts are the only things that regularly work themselves loose?

And yes, I do use blue loctite. And I've drilled little depressions under where the grub screws hit. AFAIK I've solved the driveshaft issue, but I still tighten it regularly. And sometimes the damn things move a little. Go figure. The wheels seem okay without improvements as long as I tighten them EVERY time. Just wondering if anyone had similar concerns on other hardware. I think I'll add the servo horn spline screw to the list. Never had a problem, but I've found it a bit loose. So far everything else seems to have stayed tight, but I've never dug into any internals.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:01 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

mostly steering parts. links, Chubs, knuckles, etc. I have had some issue with the wheels coming loose but replaced the nuts with new locking ones and there good. Blue lock tight works wonders. You have a chance of anything coming loose but not as common as your talking that seems kinda odd. Bead lock rings, hubs, if you have any, I normally do a good once over every few outings just to be sure. Try the locktight the night before you go and leave it over night and you should be good. unless anythings stripped out?? Have you checked that yet?
xjcritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:42 PM   #6
Proverbial threadkiller

Haven't checked the driveshafts since Loc-Titing them.

Took the stock servo saver off, put on a straight arm from one of the parts bags, haven't needed to check that since.

Never had an issue with the wheel nuts.

The only other screws I've regularly had a problem with has been the ones that mount the upper and lower arms on the chassis (esp. the lowers), and the body mounts.

Everything else has been fine, really.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:44 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubble View Post
Haven't checked the driveshafts since Loc-Titing them.

Took the stock servo saver off, put on a straight arm from one of the parts bags, haven't needed to check that since.

Never had an issue with the wheel nuts.

The only other screws I've regularly had a problem with has been the ones that mount the upper and lower arms on the chassis (esp. the lowers), and the body mounts.

Everything else has been fine, really.
Sama here with the servo arm... but even the newer straight arm comes loose,ever know and then...

West Cork Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:24 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I made some progress on the steering arm. Got the clamping style from the guy who sells them on RCC And found a source for socket head cap screws to replace the phillips head on the servo shaft bolt. Nothing else on the steering seems to have loosened. My suspension links have never loosened, although I do check them frequently because they're so easy to check.

The wheels continue to loosen. Not enough to cause problems as long as I tighten each day. I guess I could try loctite or nyloc nuts on the wheels.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:21 PM   #9
Keep it real

Blue loctite on the wheel-nuts too, nice big drop right in the middle of the nut, then wipe off the excess after tightening
Something to keep in mind, when you do loctite stuff, make sure it's clean before hand, especially of old loctite and grime. Once you loctite properly, you should be able to forget that part until you loosen it to take it apart
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote