Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: AX10 Glitchy and Runs Out of Steam (also posted in Electronics)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2011, 05:27 AM   #1

Default AX10 Glitchy and Runs Out of Steam (also posted in Electronics)

Hey guys,
I'm a newb to the crawling world. I bought an older used AX10 RTC that functioned fine until I changed the stock 55t motor out for an axial 27t. I ended up putting the 27t in my son's ax10 and switched the old 55t back into mine. Now my truck is really touchy going into reverse. This truck has the old ESC that forces you to hit reverse twice before it will go backwards. I have to really tweak the throttle trim to get reverse at all. It still glitches from time to time and the run time has been reduced. It is slower and it has lost significant power. Under WOT the motor sounds like the rpms fluctuate a little. After about 15 minutes it can barely pull itself around. Nothing is getting hot to the touch. I bought a new 6 cell 5000mah nimh stick pack because I thought it might be the old 6 cell split saddle packs going bad but that didn't fix. I'm completely stock. Old AX1 transmitter (not the new 2.4g) and stock ESC and RX. What gives? Any ideas? If I were to replace the ESC and RX with upgraded parts, what should I use and will they work with the old transmitter? I would just buy another motor because that's obvioulsy the cheapest thing to replace but I'm not sure that's my problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! I posted this in electronics as well just to cover my bases. Sorry if that offends!

Hey, what about timing. Could I have got the motor timing out of whack? If so, how do you set?

Last edited by roadstr6; 11-16-2011 at 05:49 AM.
roadstr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2011, 12:31 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Well if the motor runs strong then it starts losin it, then to me its not the motor. Your batteries in your tx goin bad can cause glitiching. Your rx goin out since its old can cause gliting. The esc taking a dump can cause it. Hit up rpphobby.com and look in the salvage section. You can find the 2.4g radio and what not for $30 or so and the new esc with drag brake for around the same price. They are new parts. All they do is take the axial kits and part them out. That your cheapest bet and the classifieds on here would be a good place to look. You just really need to upgrade .
muddinscx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:24 AM   #3

Thanks for the advice. I'll look for a new ESC first. I would like the drag brake. Maybe I can find a AE-2 or a Rooster used for cheap. If that doesn't fix it I'll do the TX/RX.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:43 AM   #4
Suck it up!

Go to Hobbypartz.com and check out the GT3B. About the same price as a junky rtr radio, but way better. You can also buy them from Losikid at Overkillrc.com.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #5

Duuuuuuuude, Got a line on a cheap AE-2 (or other) ESC? I want to ditch the AE-1 that's in my rig. My son has the newer RTR with the AE-2 and I really like it. Drag brake FTW!
Old 12-07-2011, 08:37 PM   #6
Suck it up!

No, not really. Check out the FS section here, or ebay, or sometimes RPP will have one on their salvage page.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:01 AM   #7

Okay, I picked up an AE-2 ESC on fleabay yesterday for $45. I'm going to swap out the old AE-1 and if that doesn't cure my woes I'm seriously considering the GT3B tx/rx. I see that overkill sells the hacked units. Everywhere I look I see people are hacking these things. What, exactly does the hack gain you? Is the stock GT3B radio okay as is or do I need to do the hack? I'm not running a dig yet and I've been fine so far with the stock rtr AXIAL 2 ch junk radio. I have a feeling that the stock GT3B will be worlds better than what I've been using.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:47 AM   #8
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadstr6 View Post
Okay, I picked up an AE-2 ESC on fleabay yesterday for $45. I'm going to swap out the old AE-1 and if that doesn't cure my woes I'm seriously considering the GT3B tx/rx. I see that overkill sells the hacked units. Everywhere I look I see people are hacking these things. What, exactly does the hack gain you? Is the stock GT3B radio okay as is or do I need to do the hack? I'm not running a dig yet and I've been fine so far with the stock rtr AXIAL 2 ch junk radio. I have a feeling that the stock GT3B will be worlds better than what I've been using.
The hack gives you more channels, expands some parameters, and a bunch of other stuff that I can't remember.

I bought an unhacked GT3B last week and love it just the way it is. I will eventually hack it, but don't need to right now.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:53 AM   #9

10-4. Thanks for the info. You've been really helpful Duuuuuuuude!
Old 12-14-2011, 07:22 AM   #10

Okay. So Last night I ripped out the old AE-1 ESC and replaced it with a brand new AE-2 unit hoping to solve my intermittent throttle speed problem. Well, it didn't help. I had been wanting an ESC with drag brake and the AE-2 seems good enough for me right now so no big loss. It was $45.00 Not the end of the world. I then turned my focus to the tx and rx looking for the problem. After a bit of trial and error I discovered my problem. The throttle trigger on my old Axial factory transmitter has a good bit of slop in it and it affects the throttle speed. If I push the trigger to the side as I pull it back it does fine. Anybody got a fix for that? Based on Duuuuuuuude's recommendation I went ahead and ordered the Flysky GT3B tx/rx from hobbypartz.com. For $34.95 it seems like a no-brainer. I would still like to try to fix the old tx throttle just to have it as a back-up. If anybody has a solution let me know.