Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: swx chassis issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 05:56 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default swx chassis issues

I have the swx chassis and the rod ends on my lower links, connecting to the chassis bind. Slight articulation, the rod end and the side plate of the chassis touch. It can't articulate over 1inch before the chassis starts diggin into the rod end. I used axial curved rod ends and they worked decent but it set my wheel base to a squeek under 13 inches which is too long for me. Any one else have this issue? If so, do you have a fix?
muddinscx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Use shorter links to get it to 12 1/2 inch WB. That way it is comp legal and can flex like it was designed to.

I assume you bought the chassis used or you would have the links that came with the chassis new. If you need to know the length of those links I am sure someone can help you out with that.
calikingcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:55 PM   #3
RCC Addict

The original lowers where 74.5mm and the uppers where 60mm. It's been awhile but if I remember there was some extra space where the links mounted and I used a washer between the tvp and the links. I used axial and traxxas rod ends and never came close to rubbing the chassis. If you still have a problem post a pic so we can look at it. Here is a link to the original parts list - Axial Racing - AX10 Option Parts : AX30506 Benders Customs SWX Chassis Kit
SINister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:10 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Can you clearance the area on the skid were it's binding? A file or Dremel should take care of something like that.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:29 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I bought the chassis kit from ckrc. I ran it for awhile with the 13" wheelbase but its a no go for me that way. The kit doesn't come with rod ends so I used them off some old links that I have and they are axials link ends.

Its not hitting the skid. Its hitting the chassis plates. You really can't grind it because its purty close to where the screw goes in to hold the link on. What rod ends would work better?
Old 12-12-2011, 07:47 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I'm running the SWX on my sporty and encountered the same problem. I fixed it by switching to the Axial bent rod ends. Even after replacing them I'm still at 12.5. I will post a pic if it would help?
d34thw1sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:53 PM   #7
RCC Addict

That's what I was thinking. The chassis kit and links shouldn't put you anywhere near 13". Mine was a hair under 12.5".

Where are ur lower links mounted at the axle? Are they outside the mount were they are supposed to go? Also if they are mounted in the ears put the shock on the outer most and link on the inner most position. May help to.
calikingcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:41 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I had them with the bend rod end, and a what I would call a "droop" axial link (during flex, the link would hit the shock cup and push it up) and the links ran to the outer side but between the ears like directed. It worked perfect with thoughs links but the wheelbase was too long. A pic would help .
Old 12-13-2011, 06:23 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddinscx View Post
I bought the chassis kit from ckrc. I ran it for awhile with the 13" wheelbase but its a no go for me that way. The kit doesn't come with rod ends so I used them off some old links that I have and they are axials link ends.

Its not hitting the skid. Its hitting the chassis plates. You really can't grind it because its purty close to where the screw goes in to hold the link on. What rod ends would work better?
Anyway you could post a picture? I ran the chassis for three years and never had a problem, I just can't visualize the problem.

I ran big fat Revo rod ends with no binding.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:19 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Anyway you could post a picture? I ran the chassis for three years and never had a problem, I just can't visualize the problem.

I ran big fat Revo rod ends with no binding.
Yes ill try to get pics. I just took a dremel to the rod ends to make them thinner and it works better but now the ends are alittle weaker.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:28 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Yeah a picture would be helpful, modifying or finding a rod end that won't bind is your best bet.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:50 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Yeah a picture would be helpful, modifying or finding a rod end that won't bind is your best bet.
Look at the rod ends. They are like touching the chassis and the rod ends have been shaved as much as possible.

And this is a shot of the link placement. Even with the links on the inner side of the links (between the ears) as you can see in the pic above, you can see it hits.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:56 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Thats really weird because i have the exact same set up with shocks on outer and links on inner and mine dont even come close to hitting it almost looks like your side of the chasis are to long.
2006Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:42 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Yea it sucks that I can't run it how its "suppose" to be set up. Oh well, guess you can't win em all.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:00 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

I have my links mounted on the inside of the axle tabs, that may be why mine isn't binding. I will shoot a picture of mine when I get a chance. My SWX was a bit of a pain to get tuned in, but now it is a beast of a sporty!
Old 12-13-2011, 11:04 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Here is a picture of my front lower link placement with my SWX. I have no bind with this configuration. Hope this helps!
Old 12-14-2011, 04:58 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by d34thw1sh View Post

Here is a picture of my front lower link placement with my SWX. I have no bind with this configuration. Hope this helps!
I thought about doin that too. I just need to tinker with it more.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:34 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I'd just clearance the inside of the skid and put a washer on the outside and your done. Don't change your link position on the axle it's good where it is.