Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: I really want an E-locker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 09:30 PM   #1

Default I really want an E-locker

My truck is brushless and I go like to go fast. I have an extra channel on my Dx3 and would love an elocker of some sort. How/where??? I know I can do a dig setup but would really like to keep the front open in 4x4 to haul and lock it to crawl!!! Ive searched everywhere and can't come up with any info. I have experience and I'm not afraid to to some heavy modding. Summit parts maybe? Haven't really checked out how the e locker set up works on one.
Thanks
robbieshobbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2012, 04:02 AM   #2
TSK
Shelf queen

Default Re: I really want an E-locker

What you want are some Venom Creeper axles.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:51 PM   #3

Pretty much looks to good to be true. Ive been hearing alot of people talk about venom creepers lately, just dont know much abut them nobody i know has one. How strong are these venoms compared to axials? I know there are a ton of weak, but cool looking axles out there, I need strong axles, I am very hard on my crawler. that venom cable servo locking system looks sick!!
Old 03-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieshobbies View Post
Pretty much looks to good to be true. Ive been hearing alot of people talk about venom creepers lately, just dont know much abut them nobody i know has one. How strong are these venoms compared to axials? I know there are a ton of weak, but cool looking axles out there, I need strong axles, I am very hard on my crawler. that venom cable servo locking system looks sick!!
I have no idea about them actually. Go peep the Creeper forum.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:12 PM   #5
RCC Addict

The axles are very weak if you will be as hard on them as you say. And the cable locking system sucks majorly. It has a tendancy to fail. And I am speaking from expierience. But it sounds like you don't have too much choice if thats the way you want to go.
ScaleFreak93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:15 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Can't you just put a freewheeling dig on the front? I bought a super cheap 3 racing dig for my AX-10, had it on for a while. It had a freewheel mode. Since my AX had RWS, I ran it once, motor reversed, as a RWD with what was basically a locking front. Flipped the shell, put my 35T in and hit the trails. it was actually quite fun.

Nothing more fun then bombing into some mud... going to the limit, getting stuck, then flipping the switch and driving right out.

Last edited by Arctic Fire; 03-11-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Arctic Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:23 PM   #7
RCC Addict

He's saying he still wants the front powered. A free wheeling dig on the front would defeat that purpose plus it would still be locked, so in a turn one side couldn't move any faster than the other.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:26 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fire View Post
Can't you just put a freewheeling dig on the front?

You can, I've tried it, it sucks.

Any crawler setup for crawling is going to have at least 60% weight bias up front.

In real life, in a real car, you have much more tactile feedback in modulating the throttle, so a rear wheel drive car with even a front weight bias can work, though most 4x4's are 50/50.

RWD obviously works in R/C, but look at the weight bias of the vehicles: motor is behind the rear axle and the battery is shifted toward the back of the vehicle just in front of the rear axle.

There are even some mid-engine, rear drive vehicles, but they really only work well on super high-bite surfaces.

This is an intriguing idea, I'm not saying it can't work, but for a crawler, you would have to give up some steep crawling ability in order to be able to have a RWD that doesn't fish-tail with any vigorous application of the throttle.
K.O.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:46 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.M. View Post
most 4x4's are 50/50.
This is a completely false statement. Most vehicles have a 64/36 weght bias front to rear and a 55/45 weight bias side to side.

And as for the rest of your statement did you even read the thread? Because what you're saying has absolutely nothing to do with this thread.

Last edited by ScaleFreak93; 03-11-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:53 PM   #10

Damn I was just about to buy a pair of venom creeper axles on eBay, good thing I checked back here before I clicked that button.

I had recently lost a cv pin and loved then way it steered. I definitely want to keep the front end open, i do not want it rear wheel drive only, I just want to be able to lock it to do some crawling. I have rear steer now but I'm getting rid of it (doesn't work well for my driving style) so I'll have the extra channel.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:05 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleFreak93 View Post
And as for the rest of your statement did you even read the thread? Because what you're saying has absolutely nothing to do with this thread.
He was just replying to my statement, which he quoted. Now my statement actually had nothing to do with the topic, I misread it. My mistake.

I read
Quote:
I know I can do a dig setup but would really like to keep the front open in 4x4 to haul and lock it to crawl!!!
and thought open was refering to an "open" dig, but he clearly meant an open Diff.

What about a front oneway like on my drifter? would that do anything at all for you? it's only open when not under power of course, but you would notice better turning off the throttle... just a thought

Last edited by Arctic Fire; 03-11-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Arctic Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

One idea might be to run an open diff up front with heavy weight oil in it. We used to do that in 1/8 nitro cars on dirt track and anything above 70000 weight oil was locked at slow speeds.

Scalefreak93 I'd like to see some numbers on you 64/46 front /rear bias. Especaily the 110% weight

Jk
greencrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:56 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencrawler View Post
Scalefreak93 I'd like to see some numbers on you 64/46 front /rear bias. Especaily the 110% weight

Jk
Thanks for pointing that out LOL I didn't even notice that I had hit the 4 instead of the 3 All fixed now though
Old 03-11-2012, 10:40 PM   #14

Greencrawler- that's a pretty good cheap alternative that I'll try, I would still love to have the real thing.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:18 AM   #15
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Greencrawler- that's a pretty good cheap alternative that I'll try, I would still love to have the real thing.
The AX diff isn't sealed sufficiently for diff oils. Your best bet is run it open with the heaviest grease you can find.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:20 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleFreak93 View Post
This is a completely false statement. Most vehicles have a 64/36 weght bias front to rear and a 55/45 weight bias side to side.
Maybe I should have qualified my statement: excluding pickup trucks

64/36 applies mostly to pickup trucks and...pickup trucks. Even front-wheel drive cars are 60/40 front/rear. I've autocrossed lots of them, I know. Wranglers? 50/50 Cherokees? 54/46 Broncos? darn near 50/50 Land Rovers/Range Rovers/Grand Cherokees? 54/46 or 49/51 depending on the model. Dude, I can keep going...
K.O.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:36 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.M. View Post
Maybe I should have qualified my statement: excluding pickup trucks

64/36 applies mostly to pickup trucks and...pickup trucks. Even front-wheel drive cars are 60/40 front/rear. I've autocrossed lots of them, I know. Wranglers? 50/50 Cherokees? 54/46 Broncos? darn near 50/50 Land Rovers/Range Rovers/Grand Cherokees? 54/46 or 49/51 depending on the model. Dude, I can keep going...
Thank you for the qualification LOL No issues man
Old 03-13-2012, 11:44 PM   #18

So uh guys, anything more sweet ideas on this whole electric locker or what?
Old 03-14-2012, 01:14 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Well you could try creeper axles or run an open front diff with some really, really thick grease.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:12 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

I had good luck with the creepers.. The cable locker was junk, but a direct linkage with micro servo worked great.. the locker mechanism never missed a beat setup like that..

Personally I dont really think the venom axle is really any weaker then other options on the market.. it just has the least support.. I have actually broke my axial based rigs more often..
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote

I really want an E-locker - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
locker? Ace138 Tamiya TLT Crawlers 6 02-27-2012 02:05 PM
Locker Tyler Kadlec New Mexico 0 05-20-2010 10:12 PM
locker hodges996 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 7 02-18-2009 01:36 AM
Best locker RockCrawlingKid HPI Wheely King 17 02-01-2008 03:04 PM
Need a locker or 2 Golfcrawler General Crawlers 1 01-26-2007 08:27 AM