Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Torsion or sprung chassis?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2012, 05:50 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Torsion or sprung chassis?

Hey guys. Looking around for a chassis for my ax10 build and I dont know what the advantages of a sprung chassis over a torsion chassis' are.

I'm looking at something like a TCS eclipse or an SSS-r...
Abrown83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Torsion or sprung chassis?

If you intend to compete, I'd recommend a modern fully sprung aftermarket chassis. But if you just want to drive for fun -- it's all fun. Go with what appeals to you.
Hardline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #3
TSK
Shelf queen

TCS Eclipse or sss-R... Hard decision

I have run both, and love both. The Eclipse however is basically a fancy stock chasis, and is not on par with the performance of current comp setups.

The sss-R is an awesome design, are very tunable for a torsion chassis. This is the chassis I currently run on my sportsman. Big advantage of the sss0R is that it is a complete kit and has all the links and hardware you need to cnvert. It may take a little time to break in and tune, but they can be made to crawl very very well. Biggest drawback to it, is that it does not have the high breakover that alot of current sprung setups offer. The sss-R is fairly easy to tune as it's only a matter of changing the torsion link locations to get different handling traits. No need to rebuild shocks and mess with oils and spring weights. Once in the ball park of how you like it, add on weights (like knuckle wiehgts) can fine tune it even further.

Sprung setups offer breakk breakover, and offer a wider scope of suspension tuning, which can be a double edgedsword. Sprung setups seem more sensitive to link geometry and tuning the shocks take alot more time than the simple repositioning of the sss-R's torsion links. Besides break over, the big advantage of a sprung setup is that there is actual shock compression, so when coming off a ledge the suspension willa absorb alot of the impact. the sss-R will typically bounce around a bit and that can get you into some trouble.

Both setups can be setup with low RTR weights.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Thanks scorpion king that was a huge help!

I would love to compete however I don't think there are any comps in my area to do so. So I'll be left to just larking around really. You say you have used the SSS-r.. Can you tell me what dig will fit?

Last edited by Abrown83; 08-13-2012 at 10:40 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:07 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I run the VP dig in my SSS-R with a custom servo mount and Hitec Micro servo. The servo is pretty tight in the chassis, but still clears with everything flexed up.
LAY80N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:32 PM   #6
TSK
Shelf queen

I randisco'd Eritex HRD dig in my old OG sss. You can't really find them anymore. The VP is the most popular dig on the market now though.

The Eritex also fit in the Eclipse, but not sure where you would package your electronics in the Eclipse if you tried stuffing a VP dig into it (that is if it even fit at all)
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Yeah I looked at the eritex but no one has them anymore.

Are there any other chassis' that I could be looking at? I like the torsion idea and quite keen to test one out.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:34 PM   #8
Try to Bend it

Hey bud, I ran an SSS-R for a while and really enjoyed it. It is not to difficult to fit a VP dig unit with a mini servo. you just need to bend the servo plate a little to get it to clear the chassis brace bolts.

There are competitions in Victoria, but they are more scale based. Though with the new interest in 2.2 down there sportsman and pro comps will be popping up soon.

BTW welcome to RCC
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote

Torsion or sprung chassis? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
leaf sprung steel chassis Cole82 2.2 Scale Rigs 55 04-22-2009 06:07 PM
Video of Axial Scorpion with Edge chassis running sprung shocks toecutter Videos! 0 08-13-2008 11:20 PM