Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: The Violators Low Buck Villian

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 06:29 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default The Violators Low Buck Villian

From the Urban dictionary

1. Villian : To be notorious for being better than everyone. to always be in the top to of something they have accomplished.

In use:

Hey, you know "mr.x" just won first place again, i'm startin to really hate that villian.

I have enjoyed building crawlers, but not driving them. I did like driving my mini, but that thing broke every single time I used it. I am hoping this will have the fun of the mini with the flat out durability of my Berg. That said I watched Krawl drive his and I have one word. DAMN. His shafty ran the lines like the best 2.2 pros. I hope mine comes close to his. So with the performance of that in mind, I am trying to emulate his build, but without the unlimited time and effort he put into his.

I started with AR-60 axles. I had intended to leave them stock width. Krawl fought with me to the end, and one trip to the restroom and I come back to an axle cut in half. DICK.

So now I am the proud owner of a pair of narrowed AR-60 axles. Of course he broke 3 mill bits in the process ( I kind of think that what he gets for making me do something I did not want to do). In order to keep the costs low, I ordered up a set of Asiatees gears, lockers, knuckles and chubs. The locker and gears are steel. And tight like a young...never mind. No slop what so ever. The knuckle are OK. The chubs fit a little loose, but once the axles were narrowed it was OK.

Pre narrowed pics

After with the Y-Town Axle plates and Rowdy Racing truss adapters. Big shout out to Rowdy. More high end parts from a great vendor.

Once assembled I needed some screws to hold on the diff covers. I found these at the LHS and thought other people might be interested in them. 2mm Ti screws. They were in the Mini Z racing section if that helps. The screws themselves were much better than the RC4WD Ti screws I have had in the past. Just an FYI.

Next came a Tranny. In keeping with the budget build I put up a want add and it was answered by BuckImod. Great tranny that was well built (BDW motor plate, Hot Racing gears) for dirt cheap. I modded it with a Y-Town slipper eliminator kit. This thing is pure beef, and makes packaging the tranny in a tight chassis no issue. I was in possession of the coveted Y-Town CF motor plate, but it was victim to my not taking my time in doing something else. Oh well, I hope to get another one, but for now this is what I have.

Next comes the custom TI links and Aluminum links. They should allow for light weight and hold up to the abuse I am known for.

Also in keeping with the low budget I needed a set of wheels. At one favorite local hobby warehouse ( Krawls house ) I found a lightly used set of Y-Town CF wheels. I am not sure if he has found out they are missing, but if he did not know, he will now. I also added a set of Sedonas I sanded (very poorly I might add). I also had a set of CI foams that went into the tires.

All I am lacking at this point is shocks and a good motor. Pictured is an old Integy 45t motor that should get me by until I order something from Brood. This chassis was designed for a 3-3.5" shock. I should have shocks and springs by the end of the week. I also ordered up a body that should be here by the end of the week. I need to paint it. I have an idea for it, but I am not sure I can carry it out. We will see. More to follow.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: The Violators Low Buck Villian

Looking good so far...these 2.2 shafty rigs sure are fun to drive and like you said...with all of the new products available for them they are pulling lines right along with 2.2 pro rigs
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:39 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Looking awesome! Three thumbs up!

P.S. I still like your style.
isyeskeert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:50 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Looks good, never heard of that asiatees stuff, hey as long as it gets the job done, right.

Must be nice to live so close to YTC headquarters and have access to all that awesomeness.

If you need help with that paint job, hit up BC Paints!
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:03 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Great looking build!
BuckImod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:05 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I like your style, too..... and your build so far. Why the servo is mount this way??

As for the missing motor.... you might found some at you "local crawler warehouse" too....

For those who have not heard of Asistees. The parts are actually made by TopCAD, a HK manufacturer who make "cheap" hopup parts. Most of their stuff are cheap, some are not, like the Wraith link mount is almost the cost of VP. Of course I know which one to get. I used their Wraith Chub for my spm and wraith and they are ok.

I am not related to AsiaTees, but when you are browesing there, make sure you check out those small parts. I pick up some aluminium hollow balls and those cone spacer (for space the hollow ball) for a song.

Also if you want Ti screw, 3Racing website sell a lot of them....at very reasonable price too. Top pick would be the button head M2.6x6mm screw to secure the horn on Hitec servo.
Colgout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:19 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Lots of cf sexy there, lookin good. If your mini was your favorite, this will definitely take its place as favorite and be reliable.
joshsmith512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:54 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

You should have called it the The VILLIANATOR..
Looking pretty sick.
I hope my shafty is half as nice.
How does the average citizen get a set of those 4 link plates and mounting brackets.
Hoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:51 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colgout View Post
Why the servo is mount this way??

As for the missing motor.... you might found some at you "local crawler warehouse" too....

The servo mount is offset to allow a little more throw while keeping the tie rod straight. It also has holes to mount it straight.

I looked at the hobby store, the only motors "in stock" are custom built for him, and I am sure if one of them came up missing he would notice and not be happy (although his happiness is not a driving force behind 99% of my actions) even I have rules. I will not stare at your wife even if she is really hot ( girlfriends are OK, but not wives) I will not make fun of your kids even if they are "special" and I will not "borrow" stuff other people made you for specifically.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:05 PM   #10
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Violator View Post
I looked at the hobby store, the only motors "in stock" are custom built for him, and I am sure if one of them came up missing he would notice and not be happy (although his happiness is not a driving force behind 99% of my actions) even I have rules. I will not stare at your wife even if she is really hot ( girlfriends are OK, but not wives) I will not make fun of your kids even if they are "special" and I will not "borrow" stuff other people made you for specifically.
The Violator has morals? Blasphemy!

You are starting to let me down Ted.

All kidding aside, that's a sharp looking project.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:55 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I also ordered up a body that should be here by the end of the week. I need to paint it. I have an idea for it, but I am not sure I can carry it out. We will see. More to follow.
Let me guess........EVH's guitar theme?
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:57 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Let me guess........EVH's guitar theme?
i am guessing veins
krawlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawlfreak View Post
i am guessing veins

It was supposed to be a surprise. BUT, if any painters are interested in doing a bug body all pink with veins, drop me a PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:27 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Are you going to trim circumcise the hood?
This is the funniest thing I've seen all day.
Hoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:27 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
It was supposed to be a surprise. BUT, if any painters are interested in doing a bug body all pink with veins, drop me a PM.
So now you'll get to show it to EVERYBODY! Oh wait....too late.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:48 PM   #16
D-Wray 4 Prez!

New meaning to the "Shafty" class.
No BTA on this setup?
Frankenwheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:53 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenwheely View Post
New meaning to the "Shafty" class.
No BTA on this setup?

EXACTLY.

At this point no BTA steering. I have some VP knuckles I could use, but I was really hoping to keep it on the simple side. I have never had much luck with BTA steering trying to fish everything around everything else.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:05 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I'd don't know how I feel about pm'ing you about a pink, veiny hog themed body........kinda dirty and ashamed I guess

Last edited by Bc Paints; 01-30-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Bc Paints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:10 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
You know BC paints is all over that Looks sick Ted. You still have to be one of the most hilarious fellas I have ever met!!! Keep it up!
Later,
Farmer
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:11 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Wow, i like this chassis! I like all these awesome parts
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote

The Violators Low Buck Villian - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The low buck, comp winner jetboat Venom Creeper 2 12-18-2012 09:46 PM
BigBlackCummins' Low/No buck Sporty Build BigBlackCummins Axial AX-10 Scorpion 40 09-09-2012 12:31 AM
Low Buck Super joesbruiser Superclass Crawlers 23 02-23-2010 12:53 PM
builden low buck berg.. motors?? fanto57 EnRoute Berg 9 01-31-2010 05:19 AM
low-buck TLT... Big Mike Tamiya TLT Crawlers 21 03-07-2007 12:17 PM