Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: RICrawler's first 2.2s build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2013, 06:20 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default RICrawler's first 2.2s build

Well this will be my first attempt at a shafty build, and first actual build thread! May as well document my process and be able to get advice from the shaft lovers!

It all started when this Ringer chassis showed up in the classifieds and I thought to myself... Self, why not build yourself a shaft driven rig to play with? And so it begins.

Picked up a set of SCX axles with a few upgrade parts to start with, we'll see how long they stay the way they are, as this rig is going to be a for fun kind of build so I can play in more than one class now! I think they'll do for now...

So... As it sits now,

SCX axles with Axial cvd's, aluminum Axial chubs and knuckles, stock rear shafts (came with strc straight axles but were engaging too far into locker which caused some binding at the lockouts), under drive in rear

Delrin Ringer chassis and links

Traxxas Big Bores, mini-t springs, jeepin' Doug's spring retainers

Some Mr. V's wheels I won at Nats, with C.I. foams and VooDoo silvers, and of course Lattice Innovations Shift hubs!

Gonna try this servo setup, so far it seems like its gonna work out great! Obviously inspired by Turbo's old servo setup, but seemed like the best placement to me anyway coming from driving only a Berg setup up until now. Spent an hour yesterday making this mount in poly-carb, and everything fits and clears beautifully. Plenty of room for electronics and battery, just need to get it made in CF and should be good to go.

Steering is lacking, but will do for now. Not trying to spend a fortune on this rig just yet.

So, that's it for now... Nothing revolutionary, just a plain old assembly thread! Hopefully soon will be some work on the tranny and driveshafts, then I just wanna drive it for a bit before it gets too crazy!
RICrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2013, 06:46 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: RICrawler's first 2.2s build

looks good so far man . I really liked my ringer till I got the new ccc boxer.
love the look of the servo placement as well . looks like it will need a bent up arm on it but should work. I love to play with my sporty there isn't the stress of the pro truck that's for sure . I think if you can lurn to drive a sporty good it will make you a better pro driver for sure
slowride1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:12 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I really like the servo setup/front links.

It looks like your tie rod would be happier if your steering arms were behind the axle....drag link bent to clear around front....like a berg.

You may have to go a bit wider with some tubes to make that happen, not sure.

I like the way you turned the servo, vs the way Turbo had his.

Should push your weight a bit more forward.

Also appears to move the horn pivot center further forward giving you better angles to work with.

Very cool setup.
MRCrackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:27 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the input... Looking forward to driving the thing to see how it does, not expecting it to be great but should get the job done. I have a feeling though, that I'll enjoy driving in this class enough that things will not stay this way for too long!
Old 11-15-2013, 07:41 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Off to a good start man. I'll be watching to see where you take it.
AddictedtoRC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:55 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictedtoRC1 View Post
Off to a good start man. I'll be watching to see where you take it.
Thanks Brian! Pretty tame compared to your build so far! I'm sure it'll be nothing like it is now by the time we comp together again!
Old 11-15-2013, 08:06 PM   #7
Stephan Hauser / # 7

Looks good...like the steering way you went
ZZR 1100 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICrawler View Post
Thanks Brian! Pretty tame compared to your build so far! I'm sure it'll be nothing like it is now by the time we comp together again!
You've got like 8 months yet. Plenty of time.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

So that's what the chassis an links look like out of the box, dust knocked off and a drive train mounted to it! :thumbup:

Dam fine job Bob! The way the sporty class is goin, I doubt it will be the same rig for long... steering looks good for it "lacking" lol .. steering setup, is black cherry!
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:46 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

So... Mirrored a trans that I had on hand while I'm waiting on one I found with upgraded gears and such, but the skid on this chassis has the trans pushed too far to the rear, so when turned around the motor was hitting the chassis.
Anyway, got a few extra holes now... Probably wanna make a new one anyway since I didn't like how some of the original holes for the links were done anyway.

Now I was able to put some drive shafts on, and everything seems to jive so far...

Used a Junfac on the front and a Axial WB with double female shafts in the rear. The rear hangs just a little below the links but I'll try try and tune that out a little later... I just wanna drive it at this point! (I get a little impatient some times...lol!)

Also smashed a mamba micro and a cc bec for a neat little package that should fit nicely under the servo/link mount just behind the servo.

That's it for tonight... Time to spend some time with the wife!
Old 11-16-2013, 10:15 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Haha... Hung out with the wife for a min, then back to work!

It lives!!! Tomorrow body mounts and temporary body then off to test and play! More pics tomorrow!
Old 11-17-2013, 07:10 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Nice build so far Bob! Welcome to sporty!
TURBOFEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:16 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Took the rig on its maiden voyage today and snapped a few pics on the rocks, rig does pretty good for the initial setup. No added weights at all yet and wasn't happy with battery placement just yet so for now its on the chassis till I figure that out. Too much tire rub at this width to sit on the axle for my taste...

I can already see how the xr mods are gonna happen soon, but its fun to drive for now! Comes in just under 4 lbs RTR as it is now, and feels pretty stable!
Also really like the voodoos on this rig!
Old 11-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Looking great out on the rocks brother.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:41 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Finally got a few more of the parts needed to start turning this rig into a competitor!

Unfortunately, no time to work on it tonight... But should make some progress tomorrow!
Old 12-02-2013, 04:18 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Looking good so far
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:01 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Cant wait to see this rig at a comp
chris.martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:44 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Nice little pile of parts you got there Bob. Looks like it's coming together quite nice.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the kind words everyone! I can't wait to get it together and start getting some time in on it! I plan on running both rigs in the winter series at RC Madness in Connecticut over the winter months to stay fresh, hopefully I'll be ready to have a shot at both classes this coming season for qualifying this year!

I'll try to update as it comes together, only thing changed so far is switched to all AL traxxas balls and made some new rear lower links. Got a set of DIY wheels I'm working on as well, nothing too special.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Had a little time to work on the rig last night, and all I can say is holy steering!

Got the modded XR shafts from Dlux and they are smooth and the usable steering is definitely impressive. I'm actually gonna have to come up with some stops since I got in a little trouble playing around in the house and shattered a carbon steel Junfac shaft... Guess I'll run another double female WB on the front as well for now.

Was a little frustrated with the fit of the VP chubs and knuckles though, had to shave the chubs a bit to get things to work smoothly. Also got a set of Rcbros knuckle weights, cut some of the full rings in half myself and popped those on today, I'll have to play around and decide how much I really need.

Haven't had time to do the rear yet, and should give a little love to the pro rig before the weekend, but I do plan on running it at the first winter event on Sunday. It'll be the first time competing in the shafty class, Hopefully I'll get a little testing time in before, but most likely not... Wish me luck!

RICrawler's first 2.2s build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jeep scaler build and comp micro crawler build droopmodmrc Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 1 12-25-2012 12:34 PM
~53 Willys 2010 Comp Rig Build~ RC4WD MOA Worminator Build~ 53 willys General Crawlers 108 11-28-2011 12:42 AM
RICrawler's Sabre Berg RICrawler EnRoute Berg 12 11-03-2011 02:55 PM
RcBros LCC Build, Hi-Res pics & More Build!! RcBro Team Losi Comp Crawler 30 06-03-2009 07:26 PM