Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Why is the AX-10 better than Wraith?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2015, 07:48 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Why is the AX-10 better than Wraith?

Why is the AX-10 consistently claimed as the better crawler than the Wraith? Been watching a lot of videos and I have yet to find an impressive Wraith video crawling. I can find several with the AX-10 (most seem to be upgraded heavily).
Drm31078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2015, 09:17 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Why is the AX-10 better than Wraith?

the wraith isnt really marketed as a "crawler" and is somewhat limited due to its sliver of "scale performance", compared to an ax10 that is marketed as a crawler and has more engineering aimed at doing it.

both can do it, the big difference is what you want to do and how you want to do it.
onebullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 09:54 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

AX10 is narrow axles, Wraith is wide axles. I find wide axles and big tires boring, it makes crawling too easy. You can spend way too much on any RC, research and spend wisely.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 09:56 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

What makes it more engineered to be a crawler compared to the wraith? I want to have the ability to crawl technical stuff with a lot of control. I don't want to just spin te tires to get up stuff. Don't need something fast but still want to do some trail riding. I guess I want something that can do everything but willing to sacrifice speed for more crawling capability.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:04 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

I thought ax10 had same wide axles as wraith?
Old 12-23-2015, 10:23 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drm31078 View Post
What makes it more engineered to be a crawler compared to the wraith? I want to have the ability to crawl technical stuff with a lot of control. I don't want to just spin te tires to get up stuff. Don't need something fast but still want to do some trail riding. I guess I want something that can do everything but willing to sacrifice speed for more crawling capability.
th ax10 has more "travel" and less in the way of the axles moving up and down. Scale looks takes a back seat

Quote:
I thought ax10 had same wide axles as wraith?

the newest version of the ax10 has the same axles which is halfway to being exactly the same as the wraith.

You can put new diffs in the wraith and slow it down a bit, if you still arent happy with it you can replace pretty much everything on it to get what you want. You are mostly just buying it for the axles and the skid plate. You can take it in any directison (scaler, u4, comp)
Old 12-23-2015, 11:23 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Good information one Bullet. The Pont is you can crawl with either the ax10 is designed to crawl. The wraith is a dual purpose rock racer and crawler. That being said there are drivers like Winnerone23 (probably others as well) who could drive a wraith to places where I can't get my ax10. Depending upon how technical a crawler you want. Do you need more scale looks or performance. No matter what you buy Holmes Hobbies is where you need to go for the electronics or teem brood.
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 11:27 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Sound like wraith is more versatile and can be made into what I want. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:43 AM   #9
RCC Addict

I had a rediculously built wraith with sensored brushless and 4 wheel steering and it couldnt follow a built scx10 on 1.9s everywhere. The weight placement and the huuge wraith skidplate were its downfalls. Ended up selling the wraith and sticking with the little trucks. Think about where you are going to run your truck, if its super rocky/steep/jagged technical type terrain, a wraith wont be much good, they are alot more fun on dirt hills and more mild stuff, especially brushless on 3s lipo.
dittohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 12:55 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Your difference in the Wraith and the New AX-10 is the wheelbase and chassis. Wraith is basically 14" and the AX-10 is 12", both have the same shocks (so one does not have more travel than the other) and axles. Wraith chassis is more of a scale thing and the AX-10 chassis is more geared to comp crawling. Properly set up the wraith can go pretty much anywhere you want just like the AX-10.
Stuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 02:17 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck View Post
Your difference in the Wraith and the New AX-10 is the wheelbase and chassis. Wraith is basically 14" and the AX-10 is 12", both have the same shocks (so one does not have more travel than the other) and axles. Wraith chassis is more of a scale thing and the AX-10 chassis is more geared to comp crawling. Properly set up the wraith can go pretty much anywhere you want just like the AX-10.

I thought the ax-10 deadbolt (not scx-10 deadbolt) had same wheel base width as wraith?
Old 12-23-2015, 02:23 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I thought the ax-10 deadbolt (not scx-10 deadbolt) had same wheel base width as wraith?

Yes you are correct. They are both 11" wide (side to side). BUT the wheelbase is different (front to back)
Old 12-23-2015, 02:34 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

I want to do this but also trail ride it (doesn't have to be fast). Possible?

http://youtu.be/ESIxjPE8Lzc
Old 12-23-2015, 03:10 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I want to do this but also trail ride it (doesn't have to be fast). Possible?

http://youtu.be/ESIxjPE8Lzc

Well that video is of MOA rigs and unless you can really drive and have a nicely set up sporty/shafty it is hard to pull lines like that. properly set up the AX-10 dead bolt will get you where you want to be for comp and trail. the motor you decide to install will make it as slow or as fast as you want. Our club has tried to start a entry comp class using stock AX-10 deadbolt, so they are actually somewhat capable out of the box.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:13 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the reality check. But ax10 better suited for this kinda stuff rather than wraith?
Old 12-23-2015, 03:54 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dittohead View Post
I had a rediculously built wraith with sensored brushless and 4 wheel steering and it couldnt follow a built scx10 on 1.9s everywhere. The weight placement and the huuge wraith skidplate were its downfalls. Ended up selling the wraith and sticking with the little trucks. Think about where you are going to run your truck, if its super rocky/steep/jagged technical type terrain, a wraith wont be much good, they are alot more fun on dirt hills and more mild stuff, especially brushless on 3s lipo.
experiences and skills may vary
Old 12-23-2015, 03:55 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
But ax10 better suited for this kinda stuff rather than wraith?

Correct.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:01 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Is this going to be your first RC Crawler? If so I would get the Deadbolt AX10 and a Castle BEC.
RCHuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 04:03 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

if you search the forum you will find this topic covered in every way, shape and form from all angles and then run around in circles and debated again. Here is a recent thread

What type of R/C car should I be looking for?