Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: New to ax10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2016, 12:19 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default New to ax10

Ive been interested in crawling for a while and finally took the chance on picking up a used ax10. It's pretty beat up and needs gone through from end to end. I don't plan on comp crawling with it, but willing to go the distance to make it a worthy weekend crawler.

When I picked it up, it was all original other than the warthog chassis. Nimh battery and all.
Ive tinkered around with it just enough to realize the warthog chassis is not the direction I want to go with it. Can't quite put my finger on it being I'm not familiar with all the terms yet but it just doesn't have the right geometry.

Slowly but surely I'll get it where I want it. For now as it sits Ive thrown on a 3s, 1350mah 75c lipo mounted over axle, ae5 esc, CC bec, body panels and a 3ch tactic controller for now along with wheel weights and a couple maintenance items but I plan on taking it in another direction. For now, I have ordered a underground crawler fastback chassis and that should start me in the right direction. A lot of good info on here. I'll pick what I can from everyone's builds, searching and see what I can do with it with what I have. Looking forward to being around here for a while.

Take a good look at it, wont be long and it gets a new wardrobe and facelift.

TraskRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2016, 06:46 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: New to ax10

When you can get the delux links that go with that chassis it will help you get your geometry set up correctly and pm or email the guy who makes your chassis and ask him what length shocks he recommends. He can also give you a good starting setup ie which chassis holes to start with and you can tune from there. That will help you get off to a good start.

149 r/c worx team driver

Last edited by snapon boy; 06-11-2016 at 08:01 AM.
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 11:43 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

i think he is talking about ti link from dluxfab
onebullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 12:16 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

welcome to the addiction that is rc crawling. I don't think the warthog chassis is made any longer so most likely your not going to find out much info on it, but do some searches see if you can find some old builds. weirdly enough I saw this on tv.The warthog was featured somewhere near the end the episode.
Remote Control Rock Crawler Build! | Xtreme 4x4 | PowerBlockTV - Full Episodes

Anyway when you get you new chassis your going to want to get some new shocks (traxxas bigbores or scx10 shocks). Also, what electronic are you running? I also agree with the others and get some ti links from dlux fab. you have to pm Dlux and I think he make you a custom set of links or you can make your own out aluminum pipe or rod. there is a thread somewhere on here that explains how to do it.
Dezertdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 12:23 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Yes delux fab makes the links for that chassis there on his Web site.

149 r/c worx team driver

Last edited by snapon boy; 06-11-2016 at 12:29 PM.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:04 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Took some time getting it running.
UC fastback
axial clockable c hubs
xxl big bores with losi mini T springs
Novak 55T
AE-5 esc
CC bec
3s 1350mah lipo 75c
2.2 proline chisels, star cut memory foam with 6oz each up front and 30z each in rear
Overdrive gears up front

Ive tinkered around with links a bit and had to change the front shock mount locations because of length (no cap mod yet). Right now it has some old axial uppers 4 linked in the rear just into the servo plate, custom bent lowers in the rear, straights in the front and 3 link uppers up front for now.

It has been a fun transition. I'm able to get up lines I was no where near making with the warthog chassis, and with ease. 100% more capable right now and more link/shock tuning to be done. Otherwise I'm more than pleased with it. No binding or rubbing of any links, nice smooth articulation.

Last edited by TraskRiver; 06-22-2016 at 08:08 PM.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:22 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Look into a distroy front plate!

149 r/c worx team driver
Old 06-22-2016, 10:23 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

looks good. Before looking into the destroy plate, it isn't necessary for what your running, look into underdrive gears for the rear. You will notice a huge difference with ud gears in the rear.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:07 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezertdirt View Post
looks good. Before looking into the destroy plate, it isn't necessary for what your running, look into underdrive gears for the rear. You will notice a huge difference with ud gears in the rear.
I have over drives in the front since I'm running a 55t motor.
Should I under drive the rear to? From what I searched, if you have a slower turn motor it's best to over drive the front. If you have a faster (35t) you should under drive the rear. But there are also people installing both under drive and over drive. I plan on running a vp dig later down the road.

I still need a high torque servo. When I do get one, how do I go about programming how much voltage to give it? Is that through the esc or the CC bec?

Last edited by THX_138; 06-15-2017 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-25-2016, 12:13 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Trust me do the underdrive in the rear. I ran a vp dig for a while before and after I did the under/over and my rig performed worse with the dig. I found that I wasn't using the dig once I got the under/over, and it just became weight up high,which raises cg.

It is through the cc bec, you will need a castle link to do that.

As for high torque servo I highly recommend the hitec 7950 or the holmes hobbies servo

Last edited by Dezertdirt; 06-25-2016 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-25-2016, 03:05 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I don't think you will need the dig but under drive and over drive will help. You will need eventually a solid one pice out drive Holmes Hobbies or hot racing your call. The over and under drive can break the screws in the stock outdrives.

149 r/c worx team driver

Last edited by snapon boy; 06-28-2016 at 01:37 PM.

New to ax10 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
***Axial AX10 Trannys shipping *** PLUS AX10 Straight Axle Giveaway*** Rockpiledriver RCP Crawlers 142 12-19-2007 03:57 PM