Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: AX-10 Help ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2007, 06:47 AM   #1
dlc

Default AX-10 Help ?

I am ordering an AX-10 from a vender on the forum today . I am a complete newb to rc crawling. With the AX-10 being one of the first complete crawler kits and bringing in a lot of newbs to rc crawling from full-size crawlers I figured I might not be the only person with the questions I have.

Can I get a list of all the additional parts I will need when I receive my Crawler?

Can I get recommendations on a budget setup, mid grade, high end?

What would be a good remote setup that could be used with a rear steer set up in the future? Trigger type or stick type?

I know I want to move the battery lower. What would be a good Battery setup to be able to do this?

Thanks for all the help I have already received from the forum.

Last edited by dlc; 08-17-2007 at 05:00 PM.
dlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2007, 10:53 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I need help with my AX10 scorpion build
Check out this thread
screaminsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 04:20 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

On a side note, with the dark grey background the standard WHITE text is much easier to read than your black text.
RivBlueNoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 05:01 PM   #4
dlc

Sorry, I dont know why it was black. Fixed it.

I have another question. Will the HPI jeep rubicom body fit this with some trimming?
Old 08-17-2007, 06:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlc View Post
Sorry, I dont know why it was black. Fixed it.

I have another question. Will the HPI jeep rubicom body fit this with some trimming?
Good questions dlc. I'm wanting to know some of the same things. There are so many different types of Servos, motors, radios, etc... I'm looking for basic addons, mid to low price range that should work for me to begin with. Specific brand names and model numbers would be nice too for EVERY piece we will need if that isn't asking too much guys!
85roktoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 07:49 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

the answers are everyware
stanbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanbro View Post
Sure, the answers are everywhere but if you don't know what your reading then they don't mean squat!
Old 08-17-2007, 09:55 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Why don't you try being a little more helpful instead of a moronic A-hole. If you know the answers are everywhere why don't you be a little more helpful and give the guy some links.

Sorry I can't be much of a help to your questions.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 09:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun View Post
Why don't you try being a little more helpful instead of a moronic A-hole. If you know the answers are everywhere why don't you be a little more helpful and give the guy some links.

Sorry I can't be much of a help to your questions.
Yeah really!! Thats cool man. There are a lot of helpful people on this website. Someone will chime in.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:59 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

A 3-channel radio will work for rear steer. As far as other set ups go, you really do need to do some research yourself. Thats the fun part of getting into the hobby. Just read, read, and read some more. I just ordered my ax-10. I currently have a wheely king w/ mfm chassis,tekin rebel 2 esc, axiom 60t lathe motor, stock 2-chan radio, rc4wd beadlock rims, moab 2.2's. For my ax-10 I have a mamba max esc and a holmes hobbies crawlmaster motor. For my radio I'm thinking of getting a dx-3. As far as servos go, on my WK i have a hitec hs-645mg, which is ok, but for my ax10 im gonna want more.

As far as cheap to expensive setups, its really up to the customer. You can get a cheap (brushed) lathe motor that will give you very good slow speed control and decent torque. For one of these motors, you will need a esc that is good for Brushed applications. Decent esc's would be novaks rooster, tekin rebel 2, and countless others. Just search!

If you want crazy torque, hit up JRH at holmes hobbies. A good brushless motor will run you up to $60. You will need a esc capable of supporting brushless applications like the Mamba Max, Mamba 25, Novak's new GOAT(which is brushed and brushless) and many others.

I only listed a few motors and esc's, but there are so many other good ones out there that i didnt list. I hope this helps a little bit.

-Tyler
tsaun987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 10:44 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I am a noob to crawling as well but have been scouring this site for months now researching, filling my brain with abbreviations, technical info and so on... I understood what the guy above me is talking about 100% if that tells you anything. Maybe I can relate to you guys a little bit.

For the AX-10 you are going to need the following:

- 1 servo for steering.
http://www.fatlion.com/sailplanes/servochart.html
http://rcpcrawlers.com/servos.html

- 1 Motor of you choice... brushless or brushed (not sure if a pinion comes with the kit... I doubt it, so you will probably need to buy one)
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20761
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showt...d=1#post447270

- 1 Electronic Speed Control... compatible with your motor of choice.
Cheap brushed ESC: Moped ESC

Not-so-cheap: novak crawler or mamba max?

- 1 Radio System of your choice.
The Tq3 seems to be the reasonably priced standard but there are endless options.
http://www.rcpcrawlers.com/radio.html

- 1 battery pack and charger
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34048
http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com

-Plugs, wire, velcro, zipties, tools, a case of beer and maybe a doob (depending).

If anyone else can think of something I forgot please add. This will only get you started. The option and the Newbie Board will be your friend for a while. No one can tell you what is the perfect set-up. These are just the things you need to research and educate yourself about to get started.

It's like school, once you run into a term or aspect of R/C that you don't understand.... , Google.
GreenRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 11:05 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
maybe they are in the dictionary??????????
rocresq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 11:05 AM   #13
dlc

Thanks. You guys are helping out alot. I have found that there are as many options for RC as there is for fullsize crawlers.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:18 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Maybe even more.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 09:30 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenRiver View Post
-Plugs, wire, velcro, zipties, tools, a case of beer and maybe a doob (depending).

If anyone else can think of something I forgot please add. This will only get you started. The option and the Newbie Board will be your friend for a while. No one can tell you what is the perfect set-up. These are just the things you need to research and educate yourself about to get started.

It's like school, once you run into a term or aspect of R/C that you don't understand.... , Google.
2-3 gallons of mt dew
Ive been working on mine, It comes with a 14 tooth pinion, you might want some two sided tape and a good(not the ones that came with your savage) set of tools(hex drivers, pliers, screwdrivers, and such).

And dont make the same mistake I did and try to build it with your kids around

Last edited by screaminsavage; 08-18-2007 at 09:37 PM.
screaminsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:49 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

dlc,I think since you bought a star you at least deserve not to be flamedand a little help.As stated above read all you can and become familiar with the products and terms on this forum.As far as a setup to begin with,

http://www.xtreme-rc-hobbies.net/index.html This link has tower pro servo,moped esc,axiom 55t lathe motor,and tq3 radio and receiver.I however would reccommend ebay for the tq3.This settup will be excellent for someone just starting and will probably be all you'll want.Later you will be able to upgrade areas you think you need to.As far as batteries start with a standard stick pack,if the performance is good enough for you then your done.If not you'll know more about what you want from the experience,such as smaller humps on the axles etc.I hope this helps and it only took me 2 minutes to help not flame you.
cblake187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:08 PM   #17
dlc

^^ THANK YOU !!!!!!

I emailed David at Xtreme about geting me a package for all the electronics. Just waiting on him to email me back and I will order it. I think everything you suggested will be good to get me in the door thin I can decided what I want to upgrade as I learn more about it.

Thanks

Last edited by dlc; 08-20-2007 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:50 PM   #18
dlc

Well thanks for the help guys. The ax-10 kit is 2 days out and got all my electronics ordered today.

Xtreme rc hobbies set me up a package deal for the servo, ESC, TQ3 with rear stear mod, 55t motor. David at xtreme was alot of help and I would recomend him to anyone.

After I get it built I am going to go to a hobby shop and try some diffrent battery setups.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:43 PM   #19
dlc

OK I ordered a Moped ESC and a 55t.

Know I need to find a good battery setup. I went buy my LHS and they were no help. I want to mount in on the front axle ether on the sides on ontop of the servos. What do I need and were do I get it from?
Old 08-25-2007, 02:19 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

I would suggest some 2/3 a's made into a saddle pack on each side of the front servo. There is room for 4 on each side if you make a small plate to set them on.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote