Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: quality issues with axle center link mount?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2007, 06:00 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Unhappy quality issues with axle center link mount?

(yes its me, and yes i finall got another truck to drive over rocks with)

Ok here is the issue, while placing the pivot ball in the upper center axle link mount i saw a small crack start. I thought that it was just that individual link mount but as i did the other side the same thing happened. now they are not cracked all the way through but time will tell. If this is happening to everyone then it is a manufacturing issue that needs to be addressed. Anyone else with this problem? have any broken all the way through?
jtothec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2007, 04:54 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepo View Post
Dude! Don't scare me. Im still waiting for mine to arrive.
x2 man, mine should be delivered today.
Makes me think...
soak the axle case in hot water before pushing in the pivot ball, maybe that will soften it enough to avoid the problem.
500swmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:35 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

you could try tapping the hole first. that is what i do before assembly.
sharpe351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:06 AM   #4

I believe the portion jtothec was referring to is the pivot ball that gets pressed into the mount. I could easily be wrong though. This part you wouldn't tap. FYI, mine didn't crack.
MickeyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:29 AM   #5

mine didnt crack but to put the flange ball in the links i took my cross wrench the biggest hole and put the flange ball on the table. Then i set the link on top of the flange ball and used the cross wrench to push down so that it could go through the hole of the link and wrench
Dirt Trak Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:41 AM   #6

I did the same as dirt trak racer and had no problems. These are great rigs, I love it you can't beat the price.
Liquidcourage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:12 AM   #7

Mine didn't do that at all when I was pressing it in.

I did however have a problem with one of my axles though. I went to slide on one of the bearings and it wouldn't get past the first section because the metal wasn't completely shaved down. Had to get out the 'ol dremel tool and grind it down slightly. No biggy but first time out of 16 kits (just any kit including the axial) i've built that i've ever had a problem like that.
Xaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:49 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

That was the one thing i kept wondering about last night when I was looking over these threads looking at the axles. I would like to use them in my next build maybe but the lower link mounts scare me. Atleast with the tlt mounts, if they break you can just bolt on some new ones. With these being plastic and having the forces of the suspension links and shocks being put on them and also drug over rocks, how long will they last? And if they break are you screwed or is there enough clearence to drill the case to accept tlt link mounts?
Everything else about the axle seems to be up to par with the tlt axle or better which is great. The internals or no big deal because I'm sure RCP and the rest of the venders are already working on cvds and other upgrades. It's just the plastic link mounts that worry me.
TxCruzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:22 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Is there any room to drill a couple holes to mount on an aluminum channel piece to make new mounts? some flat head screws from inside out and then bolt the angle piece on. Just a thought. I havent seen the axles up close.

Last edited by spiderxx; 08-23-2007 at 03:32 PM.
spiderxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:43 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

The lower link mounts are molded into the axle case??? So if you break one, that's that? Hmmmm...
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:04 PM   #11

i got mine yesterday and im pretty much done with it im waiting for my rooster crawler esc before i can finish it all i have to do is install my esc and reciever and my battery plate on top so i can put on my electronics
Dirt Trak Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:12 PM   #12
PapaGriz Yo

Welcome back J. Missed ya.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:04 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

well the mounts have the same problem as the wheelie king, if you break the wk lower link mounts you need to order a parts tree that includes axle cases. its a $10 fix on the wk, unless you know of somewhere that just sells the lower link mounts. Has anyone actually ever broken a link mount on any other truck, or just the rod?
firestorm450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:25 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Well, if it means anything I've broken just about everything but the lower link mounts on a WK - I don't think it'll be a problem unless you drive one off a cliff, and even then, it's apt to be the last thing to break.
cotharyus is offline   Reply With Quote