Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Brushless Motor, ESC, and Cell-Count Recommendations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2007, 08:43 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Brushless Motor, ESC, and Cell-Count Recommendations

I'm planning to purchase an AX-10 as my first foray into rock crawling. I' hope to get a brushless motor and ESC to put in it, since I am quite a fan of brushless technology. I'd like to ask those members of the forum who are more knowledgeable on this topic---in other words, all members of this forum---a few questions:
  • Can you suggest a good brushless motor for the AX-10?
  • Can you suggest a good ESC to go with that motor?
  • I have several 2s LiPo batteries---I use them in series to make 4s batteries for my brushless 8IGHT---but I notice that several people are running 3s LiPos. Do you think 2s would suffice, I should I break down and order a 3s battery?
  • What capacity (mAh rating) do you recommend for this size of crawler?

Thank you for your attention. I look forward to hearing from you.

Last edited by skeeler; 08-24-2007 at 01:06 PM.
skeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2007, 09:24 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I'm not going to speak on the battery situation, because I don't currently use LiPo myself - although I will confess to being a power junky.

I'm using a Scorpion 3014 from holmeshobbies.com and running from a quark33 - I've heard people talk about this setup and compare the quark and mamba max, so I figured I'd try it, since I have a MM already. I view my AX-10 as being more of a precision instrument, compared to my WK, which is more like a sledgehammer. The MM in that is pushing a crawlermaster running 14.4 volts and it'll break parts on demand.
cotharyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:47 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Thanks for your reply.

Any more motor/ESC suggestions?
skeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 05:24 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I am looking at the same thing for my ax10. I think that I am gunna get Holme's budget combo and order a stronger motor later. I only wondered about the strngth of the trans. I think it should be fine though unless I go overkill as usuall with a huge motor.
cembom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 07:30 PM   #5

I'm looking at a couple lower-cost brushless setups. I'm wondering about the mamba25 with the GWS-12 motor from HH, or the BM9 from TCS. Then run a 6 or maybe 8 cell pack, the latter since the GWS is described in other threads as needing a bit more voltage to wake up (3s lipo, for example). Either of these motors with a mamba25 runs about $100.

The GWS-12 is described as being good for lighter 2.2 rigs. Does the AX-10 fall into that category?
Halfshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:17 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Novak brushless crawler system.
grapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:32 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

A bm-9 with a quark 33 would be sweet, not to much power but would still break a few things, also a 3 cell lipo is a good idea.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 09:52 AM   #8
MODERATOR™

Finally got around to putting mine together.

I'm using the BM9 and a Mamba 25, along with an Elite 1500 2/3A pack. I also have a couple of Thunder Power 1320 mah 2 cells Lipos, and feel that they're better than the Elite pack. But the Elite pack has more weight to it, so I'm going to run with it for a while. The Scorpoin is so light on it's own, that I figured this is a good way to add some weight up front.

The BM9 works nicely with this set up, as the truck is rather light, and the motor has decent power anyways. There's a 12 tooth pinion on the motor, and it's still fast enough for me.

EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 10:10 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Thanks EeePee. I now know where to put my elite 8cell pack. Does anyone know when that servo mount and battery tray will be available? It shows the picture in the manual listed under optional parts. Thanks.
Tyler
tsaun987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 03:42 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

would a hitec 925mg be too fast for these trucks? or should i get the gears to change it to a 945. Right now its 110oz @ .08sec
TKG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 03:46 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

It won't be that fast with the tires on the ground, if it turns them at all.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:21 PM   #12
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeler View Post
  • Can you suggest a good brushless motor for the AX-10?
  • Can you suggest a good ESC to go with that motor?
  • I have several 2s LiPo batteries---I use them in series to make 4s batteries for my brushless 8IGHT---but I notice that several people are running 3s LiPos. Do you think 2s would suffice, I should I break down and order a 3s battery?
  • What capacity (mAh rating) do you recommend for this size of crawler?

Thank you for your attention. I look forward to hearing from you.

For a good brushless motor, I would either recommend the Novak crawler system or a decent size outrunner. For the easiest tuning a 3.5 ounce outrunner is best. The Crawlmaster or Revolver black fits the bill nicely. Smaller motors need more voltage, larger motors break parts. It sounds like you want to run 2s, so that is my basis for the recommendations. As for capacity, 1300 mah 15C packs would be the minimum IMO. Larger is always safer.

As for the ESC, the Quark ESCs are the smoothest right now. The Castle ESCs are certainly easier to program though, and still usable and crawlable. The nice thing about a mamba max is that it will run brushed motors. The Novak crawler system also runs brushed motors, but not sensorless brushless.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 04:40 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Skeeler
If you pick up the latest copy of RC Driver, there is an article Jason wrote on the Novak Crawler system that he installed in Ralph.
lesannatrevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 05:20 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
It won't be that fast with the tires on the ground, if it turns them at all.

So converting it to 945 with a gear swap would be idea then.. IT will bump it to 180oz and be a touch slower...

What is considered the minimum torque needed for a crawler with lizard/moab sized tires anyway?
TKG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 06:21 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Dont jack the thread bud lol. What is it going in though? For an Axial, I am scared of going 200oz because the knuckles look delicate. In a 2.2 around 200oz should be cool. I figure 300oz are just gunna be alu knuckle benders lol.

Back to the Brushless. I am gunna use a quark ESC, not sure on the motor but I am trying to get a medium one like the crawler master. We will see.
cembom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 06:22 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I have a tp945 in mine, seems adequate.