Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Springs on the Ax10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2007, 11:05 AM   #1

Default Springs on the Ax10

Hey,
I am totally new to this whole scene. I have been wheelin 1:1 for years, and built many, but this is my first RC Crawler. I almost have my AX10 put together, I plan to have it done by tomorrow. I had a quick question. First, the foam seems way too stiff. It almost seems that having none in at all will give me the tire "bulge" that I need. When I wheel normally, I run like 5 pounds on bead locks. Can I run these tires without foam? Also, the springs seem way too stiff, I know that too much articulation can be bad, but for a coiled rig, it seems like this should flex way more. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Rekless
ReklessOffRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2007, 12:04 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Yes...you need foam. Maybe not all of the foam (it can be cut), maybe not the stock foam (you can buy other foam)...but yes, you need foam. The sidewalls are a bit too floppy to run no foam at all. I'd suggest hitting the tire and wheel tech section for specific ideas...there should be pics there of foam mods and such as well. Personally, I'm actually not running the Axial tires on my Axial truck because I have prior experience with them...and...well...on UT rocks they suck. But...if you are sticking with them for now (hard to complain about free tires, especially when you can just unbolt them from the rims), you might try the Trinity foam setup. I run Trinity Bomb One truck foams in the rear tires, and Bomb One buggy foams in the front tires. The smaller front foam is intended to create more room for the BB's I use as weight. If you want to use wheel mounted weight, I'd probably suggest truck foam front and rear. If you don't want to order foam...just start cutting the stock foams a bit to get a little more flex.

As for the springs...I haven't tried it...but I'd imagine that with the box stock setup...stick pack mounted up high and all, the stock springs are pretty dialed, but for a lighter rig, not so much. I run a Thunder Power 2070 LiPo in my rig so it's a lot ligther than their suggested setup. I'm still searching for a good setup on my suspension, so I can't really give you any specific suggestions yet...but maybe some of the build threads on here will have more info?

Last edited by metalry101; 08-24-2007 at 12:12 PM.
metalry101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 01:30 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I just got mine put together, I put the full foams in, they are very soft, they seem to hook up nicely. As for the springs, I thought they were stiff when I was building the truck, but once you get them in there they are very soft, almost to soft. Yeah, both things surprized me alot. There was alot of good planing that went into this rig.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 01:38 PM   #4
I joined the Band!

X2^ springs seem to stiff, but once you got it together you will be scrounging for more spring preload spacers to eliminate the torque twist from the soft springs!!

as for foams, search the tire and wheel sections.. theres a ton of info in there... my personal recommendation for the setup with the version 1 lizards and the beadlocks is this.. star cut foams ( 12 points small cutouts, not 6 point large cutouts) 4-4.5 oz stickon weights in front and 1.5-2 oz. weight in rears..

enjoy
mattrichter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 04:22 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I'm running no foam with 4.5 oz of airsoft bb's in them. they fill the tire about 3/4 of the way, so you still get side wall support, seems to work well considering the ut rocks and stock tires
screaminsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 01:52 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Running no foams, nothing in them but air right now, and single 7/32 hole in each wheel, works awesome, great hook, good grab on allmost all surfaces, has minimal squat... Of course I am running a 2/3A 6 cell and mounted my electronics on the rear axle... Only motor went in the stock place...

As for Shocks, they are WAY too long to be competitive.... I put on some Losi buggy shocks, they are a bit too short at 3.8" I think T-Maxx Shocks are going to be the perfect length.

In stock form it is too tall, and with the Losi's it drags too much.

I also had to move the links to the center hole position instead of the outside ones.
Rob92k1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 08:57 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob92k1500 View Post
Running no foams, nothing in them but air right now, and single 7/32 hole in each wheel, works awesome, great hook, good grab on allmost all surfaces, has minimal squat... Of course I am running a 2/3A 6 cell and mounted my electronics on the rear axle... Only motor went in the stock place...

As for Shocks, they are WAY too long to be competitive.... I put on some Losi buggy shocks, they are a bit too short at 3.8" I think T-Maxx Shocks are going to be the perfect length.

In stock form it is too tall, and with the Losi's it drags too much.

I also had to move the links to the center hole position instead of the outside ones.
i was thinking MAXX shocks as well
Crispychiknhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 11:39 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Just an update, Added about 8oz of weight to each front, and 6oz to each rear tire..... WOW... What a difference, still rocking the stock shocks... Had to glue them together to keep the tops from popping off, but wow, what a different machine...

I am going to add the rear disconnect tomorrow, it is a VERY capable truck with not many mods, still not quite there with my comp 2.2 TLT, but it would have no problem finishing top 10 at most local comps with the right driver once the dig is in.

Overall, I am pretty impressed and am going to keep it mainly stock.
Rob92k1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 03:02 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

i say the spring are to soft personally..

the torque twist is nasty without a ton of spacers..

IMO these shocks just suck..:-(

i got some piggy backs from a maxx i'm gonna try instead..

any other shocks workin good for anybody???????
crawls2thewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 03:48 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I'm running mt2's, they work good for me
screaminsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 03:35 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I am running maxx big bore shocks white losis all corners except for lr that is a stock maxx red . Full foams with losi rock claws ran an 8cell sub cveryn good handling.I also ran a 11.1 volt lipo seems better with the lighter battery.No weight in tires at all. Batteries mounted on upper links
sloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 02:15 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

i've now added a little over a 1/2 inch of fuel tube inside the shocks on the shafts to limit shock length..

imo, it helped the spring rate a ton..

also added 8oz to each front tire and 5oz to each rear..

made a ridiculous difference for sidehilling and climbing traction..

now i only have one thick preload spacer in the left rear and right front shocks..

this thing gets better everyday!!!!!
crawls2thewalls is offline   Reply With Quote