Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Motor plate flex?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2007, 12:47 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Motor plate flex?

Let me start by saying what a sweet kit this is, right out of the box this thing wheels better than the custom TLT based rig I've been dialing-in for 8 to 9mo's. The AX10 if very well thought out and very well engineered, many props to axial and its engineers for a job very well done!

But uh, any one else noted the motor plate flex? It dosn't seen to affect the drivability but still trips me out a bit. I also noted some rotational play in the axle assembly due to the single upper link mount (will be worsened with time and wear of this joint). Man I hate to nit pick but there is also a ton of play in the axle drive-train (wheels spin freely 5-7 degrees).

Please note I am an engineer so I tend to analize things to death as its my job to do so on an every day basis, but again killer kit and for the first production crawler ever, this thing rocks!!!!
Mad4Rnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2007, 07:45 AM   #2
MODERATOR™

I'm running a brushless motor in mine, and haven't had the pinion gear skip yet, so I don't think the motor plate flex is a problem. But I admit I haven't looked at it and tried to flex it. But if the gears don't skip, it's not a problem.

All the gears have their small amount of gear lash. Add them all up and it equals a small amount of free movement. Add the tire diameter and it's amplified, and you get your 7 degrees of tire rotation. The worst truck I've had that does this also is the Tamiya TXT. Big huge 32 pitch gears. I think I can roll it forward half a tire circumference before everything catches up.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 06:28 PM   #3
RCC Addict

just yanked on mine.... No flex
dirk379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:31 PM   #4
RCC Addict

looks like the flex is not in the plate but in the plastic transmission housing. it would be sweet if axial made a NC'd aluminum housing, oh and maybe a metal gear set, it would make an already bullet proof tranny absolutly bomb proof
Mad4Rnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 06:31 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Default Motor plate flex?

If "flex" is an issue for you, could the Hot Racing motor plate be a good solution for this since it has the extra mounting screw that attaches to the skid plate?

I have an aluminum transmission housing on my Scorp and I wonder if this motor plate would be good companion for it to eliminate any chance of flex.

The Visionary Fabrication motor plate very nice too. It's twice as thick as the HR plate but it doesn't have the extra mounting screw to attach it to the skid. It also costs over twice as much. Not sure which plate would be the better solution though.

Any thoughts/comments?
BeeRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 06:38 PM   #6
MWRCA'er

Made my own plate from 1/8 aluminum.

Was having issues with the plate bending under that heavy motor. Might be able to bolt two plates together.

Last edited by Mnster; 05-26-2008 at 06:40 PM.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 06:46 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Mnster - link to that ^?
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 06:54 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I noticed some with mine using my bm9. if you bind up the axle or cause stress on the drive line, I noticed mine flex and caused me to strip a spur gear and take a repair.

I ended up bracing mine after that with a piece of L angle aluminum. too cheap to pay $30 for a plate
yukon635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:27 PM   #9
ghetto fabulous newbie

The newer Axial motor mounts are thicker to reduce the flexing
yotachump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:52 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I had a spur gear munched by the flexxy motor plate. I just used an extra motor plate and some longer hardware. So far so good.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:58 PM   #11

So implementing the alum motor mount would remove this flex, but the next question is just like my 1:1 make something stronger and this will only point out what is weaker next. then KABOOOOM...

i believe that it would be the plastic tranny housing and gears so that may be one of my next purchases!
jmdave69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 08:37 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotachump View Post

So what are the differences looks wise? i bought my kit a month ago and the options plate in the manual is the one I got in my kit. Is that the new one?
O.C.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:30 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Default Moor plate flex

Part# for the new Axial plate that is thicker......?
BeeRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:41 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

I had issues with flex there as well. Turned out on mine, I had gotten bound up and it had stripped out two of the screws on the motor side. Caused my motor to wobble around when it was driving. I did not have a better one at the comp so I used a stock one that somebody else had. When I put it back together I used locktight and did not tighten then up quite as much. Also backed off the mesh a bit. So far so go but a stronger plate is going on soon.
ElkySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:12 PM   #15
RCC Addict

I went though two 87 tooth spur gears in two day over the weekend. After looking closely it was like "WOW" I can't believe how much it flexes. That is definitly a most upgrade.
JUSTGOINGSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:19 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotachump View Post
Good to hear, hope they aren't all cut out around the mounting screws cause that necked down area allows more flex too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdave69 View Post
So implementing the alum motor mount would remove this flex, but the next question is just like my 1:1 make something stronger and this will only point out what is weaker next. then KABOOOOM...

i believe that it would be the plastic tranny housing and gears so that may be one of my next purchases!
\

Just like 1:1...if it brreaks upgrade it....simple. And the motor plate needs an upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeRC View Post
...The Visionary Fabrication motor plate very nice too. It's twice as thick as the HR plate but it doesn't have the extra mounting screw to attach it to the skid. It also costs over twice as much. Not sure which plate would be the better solution though...
Extra mounting screw not needed...besides you're going to attach it to the flexy plastic skidplate? That doesn't sound like a great idea. Just get a beefier plate made out of better quality aluminum....like the Visionary Fabrication plate.

Last edited by Natedog; 05-27-2008 at 11:28 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:14 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

VF makes a very nice 1/8" replacement with great adjust ability.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:38 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Stormin, VF does make one of the best motor plates out there, a whole lot beefier then stock.
JUSTGOINGSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote