Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: anyone else?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2007, 08:13 PM   #1

Default anyone else?

anyone else run into the problem where when you followed the instructions for the kit that when you installed the pinion gear by the instructions the set screw stuck out so much that you couldnt use it that way? it may be how you are originally been made to work with big end out, but in the instructions it shows it with the little end out touching the spur... anyone else have this or can you use the small end? which would be better?
yenrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2007, 08:21 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

mine barely fits , but its just like the manual shows
crawls2thewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:25 PM   #3
Debunking old stereotypes

It shouldn't really matter which way you run the pinion, just keep the set screw away from the spur gear.
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:35 PM   #4

yeah i didnt think it mattered, but i didnt know which way would work better... my set screw sticks our at least 1 or 2 mm out of the pinion so i couldnt use it with the small end...
yenrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:51 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

The larger side of the pinion gear is the side that should be against the spur gear.
derwood21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:09 PM   #6
I joined the Band!

Default i agree with derwood

its the large side .its the only way it works properly.to have the small end in contact would mean the set screw is going to hit the teeth as it turns so there is only one way this goes together and that is according to directions,its that book with pictures and words that came with the kit.
colonelangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:29 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

The set screw (or grub screw) sticking out of low tooth count pinions is a pretty common "problem". I've especially found Robinson pinions guilty of this. As long as there's enough driveshaft sticking out of the motor, you should be able to slide the pinion along far enough that the grub screw won't hit your spur gear. You can also look for shorter grub screws.
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:29 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I think the instructions show this wrong. The common RC stadium truck and buggy you now mount the pinion so the gear side (the side not with the set screw) sits closest to the motor as shown in the manual. The way I found it to work the best is slide the pinion on so the set screw side is closest to the motor and motor plate.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:59 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Due to all the different motor choices available you can't really specify one way or the other. You will have to adjust it so that larger part of the pinion gear is in contact with the spur gear.

You definately do not want the side with the set screw in contact with the spur gear, it will cause damage to the spur gear. Most motors will allow some movement forward or back to have the proper mesh.

Thanks,
Axial
Matt.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 05:00 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I turned the pinion gear around and faced it so the set screw was on the inside.. so the pinion gear perfectly match up with the spur and the set screw is out of harms way.
balang_479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:27 PM   #11
I joined the Band!

set screw is closest to motor so set screw does not hit spur.....
colonelangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:42 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

You can put it on either way as long as the large side is lined up with the spur gear. Different motors have different length shafts. Short ones you may only be able to put it on with the set screw towards the motor and longer one you would have enough room to put it either way as long as the set screw is on the shaft. Doesn't matter.
derwood21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:58 PM   #13
MWRCA'er

Just as everyone said doesn't matter there is no right or wrong way to do it. However, inboard is generally better as the grub screw has more bite on the motor shaft. Also the pinion is further stabilized as it is further on the motor shaft.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote