Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: how do you shorten the shocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2007, 02:22 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default how do you shorten the shocks

how do you shorten the shocks and which springs work the best? Just wondering if anyone has mod there shocks. The stock shocks feel to stiff..
Azcats1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2007, 05:24 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

once their mounted they dont actually feel that stiff anymore their is loads of flex, but to shoten them you can put some fuel tubing under the piston inside the shock.
balang_479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 05:58 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

ditto on the tubing. you can also use the small nylon/plastic washers found in just about any kit. Or, you can use some inner springs (pen springs) under the piston to have varied shortness.
sharpe351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 06:35 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Well just shortening the shocks only makes the spring "stiffer". As eveyone has said fuel tube or washers, some use the plastic spare ball links on the let over plastic tree parts.

But taking a long shock with long spring and shortening it and using the same spring basically gives to massive preload. Even stiffer.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 10:54 AM   #5

Increasing preload will technically only make a spring stiffer if it is a progressive spring, not when its a linear spring.
dc2drifterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 11:01 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

one inch fuel tubing under the piston
BEAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 02:38 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

1 inch is waaaaaay to much..

i did less than a half inch and love it..preload and all it almost killed the torque twist completely..

still flexes no problem..
crawls2thewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 02:48 PM   #8
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc2drifterx View Post
Increasing preload will technically only make a spring stiffer if it is a progressive spring, not when its a linear spring.
That is correct. Putting preload on a spring wont make the spring stiffer, it will just increase the threshold for initial compression.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 04:28 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

spare ball links on the let over plastic tree parts. is the way to go 2 inside ea. shock works good. thats what i did xtm X-C springs. but going to use hpi mt springs their 80x14mm.
tapped-out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 05:52 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawls2thewalls View Post
1 inch is waaaaaay to much..

i did less than a half inch and love it..preload and all it almost killed the torque twist completely..

still flexes no problem..
1" may be too much for you. But maybe some of us dont like our rigs to unload going up steep inclines or really off camber situations. And the lower ride height just looks better.

I also used a 1" spacer in my stock shocks. It works very well and gets the ride height down to a comp worthy status. I have no torque twist and a reasonable amount of flex but a truck that is very planted on any surface.

Sean
hackster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:11 PM   #11
RCC Addict

1/2" tubing inside works extremly well!!!
Attached Images

The Real Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:14 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

use the spacer it came with to put on the out side and move it under the piston then use hpi mt2 springs (yellow works but might be a little too soft)
i know king bling is running that set up and i think the Axial guys ran that and NATs

Last edited by doctorducttape; 09-17-2007 at 09:21 PM.
doctorducttape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:13 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

I played around with shortening the stock shocks for a while but ultimately I decided to replace them. I didnt want to run a shock that wasnt right for my setup and just rig it to make it work. I wanted the right shock length so I could tune it from there. I took my scorpion to the LHS and had them grab me just about every shock they carried even down to the Losi MiniT shocks. After lining them up to see what was the best length to the geometry I was looking for I bought a set of Duratrax Evader shocks which are aluminum bodied with full thread for pre-load adjustment. The set cost me $34.99 and my LHS has high prices. After installing the new shocks my rig crawls better than ever. The suspension outperforms the stock Rock Lizards now and the only thing stopping me from walking straight up or sidehilling a 70º+ angle is the crappy tires not gripping. I cant praise the Evader shocks enough. They are great on these rigs....
ElChupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote