Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: A couple AX-10 / Novak Goat Questions...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2007, 08:26 PM   #1

Default A couple AX-10 / Novak Goat Questions...

I am running the Goat system in the AX-10, and am curious about a couple things (This being my first Crawler)....

1. What does everyone recommend for gearing? I had the stock 14/87 gearing, but the sxial gear stripped where the grub screw goes in. The only replacement gear I could find was 15t. Seems to get a LOT of torque, with added wheel speed...

2. I am currently running a 7.2v, 3900 Mah Sub C stick pack (Split in half and lowered on the chassis). I was thinking about using 2/3A size batteries, 3 on either side of the steering servo. The 2/3A's are 1100 Mah. What kind of runtime could I expect with the 2/3A''s with the Goat system?

It crawls great now, but if cutting the weight, and bringing it lower in the chassis will work better, I'm all for it.
thenewguy821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2007, 12:47 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Good to see ya here dude! Somebody help please?
bubbaracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 07:23 AM   #3
'08 2.2 National Champ

Here's my recommendation:

Gear way down. I found the smallest tooth pinion I could, I think it was 10t. Better low end torque and still plenty of wheels speed. I would also suggest a pretty tight gear mesh to give you more drag so that it doesn't get away down steep descents at low speeds. This has worked really well for me.

Batteries, go with some Elite 1500 2/3 sub A split packs and mount them on thr front axle. Cheepbatterypacks.com can make them for you for a pretty good price. I bolted down a couple of pieces of lexan I cut out and put velcro on them. The Crawler Store also just came out with some plates that intended to do the same thing. Pretty good price too

Hope this helps
Just Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 03:53 PM   #4

Cool, Thanks for the tips...

I know the 2/3A's (either 1100 Mah or 1500 Mah) will give less runtime than the 3900 Mah Sub C's that are on there now. I am wondering about what runtime to expect... If it will drop runtime to <30 min, I will stick with the current setup.
thenewguy821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 04:18 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by justgiveereh View Post
I would also suggest a pretty tight gear mesh to give you more drag so that it doesn't get away down steep descents at low speeds.
Hold up a second... If you make the pinion/spur mesh tight, the pinion will "eat" your spur gear. Am I wrong?
NinJato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 04:27 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinJato View Post
Hold up a second... If you make the pinion/spur mesh tight, the pinion will "eat" your spur gear. Am I wrong?
generally yes but the way the GOAT is set up it helps the steep declines...I have mine close to what Justgiveerah said...And your more likely to eat them when the mesh is too loose with the GOAT...
k9popo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:19 AM   #7
I joined the Band!

Default ax10

if you have drag brakes why would you need to make the gear mesh tight in order to help on steep inclines.i have no problems on hill up or down my drag brakes are awesome and my radio will allow me to increase my brakes up to 125%.drag brakes rule,rolling is for fools.
colonelangus is offline   Reply With Quote