Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: WaterProof Setup?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2007, 07:10 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default WaterProof Setup?

Hey guys ive got a ax-10 scorpion ordered. for my eletronics...what electronics would be great for this rig that are completely waterproof like the esc... i know i can plasti-dip the servos, but what motor/esc combo that would be waterproof could i use? i liove climbing around on obstacles around the yard and such thats about all the places i get to go so this guys wont be a serious crawler just a waterproofed climber for around my house....anyone have suggestions on esc,motor,battery,servos. Thanks!!
MaxxCrawler02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2007, 10:10 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

no one knows? :(
Old 10-10-2007, 10:24 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

All brushed motors work under water just fine.

As for a completely waterproof ESC...hmmm can't say I know of one. I know ones that are water resistant, not waterproof.

You'll be going through alot of bearings...they don't like water at all.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:37 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

A LRP Runner Esc is Waterproof about $50 at a lhs or $40 from me
fathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:16 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

there's some threads and stickies on this with way more info than we can repeat. Try searching for them.
LRP, mtronics, and some others make waterproof esc... as in drive under a pond and climb back out.
brushed motors are fine.
bearings might be replaced with bushings.
servos can be packed with a special grease (some leave them with nothing).
receivers usually need some kind of box or a sealed baloon.

All of these are covered extensively by many more knowledgable than I... just gotta search ;)
chevy42083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 01:58 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

yeh.. ive searched and got a lot of good info...i guess what im asking is i want alot of download torque im not lookin for top speed at all ...so should i put a 55turn lathe in it?

and as for the battery? since im not gonna hardcore crawl since i have no where to do it where im at lol im guessing just a goood 7cell or something correct?
Old 10-10-2007, 06:45 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxCrawler02 View Post
yeh.. ive searched and got a lot of good info...i guess what im asking is i want alot of download torque im not lookin for top speed at all ...so should i put a 55turn lathe in it?

and as for the battery? since im not gonna hardcore crawl since i have no where to do it where im at lol im guessing just a goood 7cell or something correct?
55t's are good. I run a 65t. a little less wheel speed, a little more torque. The battery cell count depends on what esc you will run since some esc's can handle more volts than others. Look at the specs of what esc you are planning on running and go from there. Don't forget to waterproof your battery and connectors. Remember that if you run in water that you must tear your rig down and lube the bearings. Im not aware of bushings for the ax10 yet.
grapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:52 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

yeh, im actually probbaly going to use that one you stated in another thread the Mtroniks Viper eco20. it looks like it would do good for me. what motor do you think i should use and what battery can i use?..i want to use one that has good power and long run times. thanks for your help.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:03 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

the lrp is $40 from tower.
countryboy4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 07:17 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

yeh i was thinkin maybe like a 35t lathe motor something thats not super slow like 2 miles and how but something that had good torque that i could still climb stuff with.and battery...do you know how high i can go on the battery with that esc you recommended?