Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: mounting the tires

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2007, 07:30 AM   #1

Default mounting the tires

Whats the best way to do this? Every time they pop out of the bead lock. Do I use some glue then screw them in?
25-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2007, 07:43 AM   #2

I would make sure you are getting the tire completely between the ring and the wheel.

old11208 posted a pretty good video on youtube on how to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePXLxpdb2LE

If everything is seated properly I would make sure your screws are tight and not stripped. I can pull on my tires pretty good and they don't come out of the bead lock.

Hope this helps.
deadbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 07:56 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Hmmm his video is good...I kinda do it like that.

So hard to explain though...I can do a full wheel in under 10 minutes now.

Definately buy a good 1.5mm Hex driver, DO NOT use a L allen key. I trust the Dynamite ones, very good handles and I've had the best luck with their tips, even sold a set of Losi's since they didn't perform as well.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:06 AM   #4

I second the good 1.5mm hex driver is a must. I use Dynamite drivers too, which are great quality with out the extra price.
deadbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:23 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

I found a nice set at harbor freight hex drivers at Harbor freight for like $5. I also picked up black and decker cordess drill. Works so well on the 30+ little screws
THnCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:05 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I think the Axial Beadlocks are a poor design. The rock ring needs a lip to help push the tire bead into the rim. All the alloy rims I have and have seen have this and the bead stays put. I can't keep the beads in no matter how I assemble them. I have always assembled the wheels like the video old11208 did. I have a new set if anyone that really likes the AX beadlocks for cheap.
Neil E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:12 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Narrowing my stock ax10 foams 1/2" helped tremendously in both mounting and performance.
dr drae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:29 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I think the Axials are great...once the bead is properly seated I can't pull mine out...though yes my $90 set of aluminum Ericksons hold probably better, the price difference kinda makes it have to be better.

I still use my Axials...have another set of tires for testing on them. Added some weights to even clone the weight of the aluminums.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:37 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Put the wheel on your knee, roll the bead into the rim as you push down on the outer edge of the tire. This will hold it as you lay the ring on and get a screw or two started.
Cheatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:47 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

I had no problems with mounting up both sets of tires I have on axial wheels, I did it close to what the video showed
CHEEZBURGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 11:57 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

take a spray paint cap and set the wheel on top of it. this lets the tire droop down while keeping the rim in place. when you push down to put the screws in the tire doesn't work against you and want to pop the bead out of the rim.
derwood21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:11 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

I got the screws started on mine then finished pushing the bead into place with a small flat bladed screw driver. A 1.5mm allen key in a cordless drill with the torque setting at minimum is ideal as well, Just make sure that you don't go all the way in with the screws and then finish them by hand.

I didn't put foams in mine, I didn't see the need for them, the rubber is stiff enough to support the weight of the truck.

Brad
Udlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:07 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

You gotta be careful NOT to stretch the tire too much. If you do happen to stretch it and it wont sit properly in the bead groove.... put it in the freezer for 20 minutes, this will shrink the rubber up and make stay in place while you crank the allens down.

The Axial beadlock allens are way too small and suck butthole.
Barillms is offline   Reply With Quote