Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Shock cap problem... or not?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2007, 03:21 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Shock cap problem... or not?

I've read of many people having trouble with their shock caps popping off, as well as issues with leaky shocks. The shock caps popping could probably be attributed mostly to too much oil - too much rebound at full compression is just too much for the plastic caps (and bodies) to handle.
As far as the leaking issue is concerned - and I may be wrong here - it appears that many of the complaining owner's trucks have the o-ring installed improperly. Unlike Associated shocks, the Axials appear to be designed for the o-ring to be installed INSIDE the caps, not at the base of the threads on the body. I assembled mine the way I'd been building Associated shocks for years, and noticed that the shock cap didn't provide enough pressure for the cap to seal well against the stretched o-ring. I pulled the cap off and viewed a channel inside the cap that looked as though it was designed to retain the o-ring. BINGO! My caps haven't leaked (or popped off) since building the truck.
85V8XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2007, 07:00 PM   #2
I joined the Band!

Default shock cap

they are to be installed inside the cap .mine is fine .had no problems
colonelangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 07:16 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Yeah I read the instructions right...the O-ring is shown going into the cap...

My leak is from the bottom, the 2 o-rings just sit in there not even tightly...weird design. I have stuffed in a traxxas thin white spacer and its holding oil longer...it'll do for now. Got a FatDoggie tuber on order then I'm off to Losi shocks.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 12:19 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I think the main problem is people not building them right. I initially didn't do my oring the correct way in the cap and it stripped out my threads a bit, not sure if the oring was the original problem but with the oring in the cap and super glued closed they've been great lol.

I think if they are built right they work fine .
miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:53 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

No problems with shock caps yet. Broke a front knuckle...swapped with a rear for now. Waiting on aluminum parts...

Front knuckle drilled and moved to rear for fix:
krikir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 01:51 PM   #6

Well, I have to admit, I installed the o-rings wrong (over the threads on the shock body). Now the o-ring is stretched out too far to sit inside the cap.

Other than getting new o-rings, any ideas? I guess I'll try to find some that do fit inside the cap. Maybe a local hardware store or something. I've heard of stretching o-rings to fit something, but not shrinking them to fit something!

RPS52
RPS52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 02:02 PM   #7

yea the O-rings are jsut part of a big problem on the design... FIRST OFF the shock caps hits the frame, giving the shocks enough stress that it will almost rip the cap off( if u got oil leaks on top its a sign). second the ti-nitride shafts flexes around 2-4 degrees which causes oil leaks in the bottom of the shock. i think its the piston which is a little loose or small.
kave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 06:06 PM   #8

Well, a quick trip to the local hardware store and I was able to find some new o-rings that fit nicely inside the caps. I haven't put them in yet, but took one of the shock caps with me for a test fit.

Anyway, though this was not a huge issue, I think they should have a brief sentence about this in the instructions (for morons like me:-P). That way there's no room for guessing whether the o-ring goes over the shock body threads, or in the cap. Looking back at the instruction manual, all I can see is one small image with what looks like the o-ring inside the cap (side profile).

RPS52
Old 10-11-2007, 08:06 PM   #9
RCC Addict

hey

If you get AE Green Slime, your shocks wil not leak out the bottom.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/554105.asp
renoirbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by renoirbud View Post
hey

If you get AE Green Slime, your shocks wil not leak out the bottom.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/554105.asp
Mine leak out of the bottom, and I used quite a bit of green slime when assembling them.....

RPS52
Old 10-12-2007, 04:30 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

i never had a problem
jdking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 05:34 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS52 View Post
Mine leak out of the bottom, and I used quite a bit of green slime when assembling them.....

RPS52
Yup I tried the same...its the lower 2 o-rings are too loose in that section. I added traxxas thin white washers (I'm sure just about any plastic washers will work depending on thickness) and its way better. Still leaks due to the shaft being able to move at an angle...as mentioned it must be the pistons are narrow or the body is too wide.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:37 PM   #13
I joined the Band!

Default leaky shocks

mine leak out the bottom and i also used lots of green slime , my sons arent as bad he also used green slime.
colonelangus is offline   Reply With Quote