Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: digged out scorpion (r2)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2007, 12:29 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default digged out scorpion (r2)

Seeing how many people already run the r2 with dig in their scorpion and how you like it. Will probably be buying one this week when I get some free time and will add my own review of it with pictures if no one else does.

Only negative I can think of is extra weight in middle of chassy and its not as compact.
flomofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2007, 12:35 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by flomofo View Post
Seeing how many people already run the r2 with dig in their scorpion and how you like it. Will probably be buying one this week when I get some free time and will add my own review of it with pictures if no one else does.

Only negative I can think of is extra weight in middle of chassy and its not as compact.
it measures 16x70x38 so so bit taller but should be good one to replace.. looking one to do mine too..

people say axial tranny is pretty good which I agree but I need new tranny for TLT so I been thinking about is really hard. R2 single, R2 disconnect.. either one

http://gallery.mac.com/xtremeracingt...&bgcolor=black
jmizoguchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 01:31 PM   #3

I'd appretiate a pictorial review if you would. (in a scorpion)
Cheers
glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:58 PM   #4

ya i got the r2 in my ax-10. it works great. was a challange to get in there but it fits. here are some pics.

fatcash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 05:04 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Default goat

Just picked mine up and I'm running the goat too, any specific problems you had with it when trying to get it to fit? I'm waiting on the ckrc mount for the servo now as I didnt hear good things about the rc4wd version.

Anybody wanna buy ax-10 tranny...

Last edited by flomofo; 10-30-2007 at 05:28 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:37 PM   #6

It was a little hard. What I did was that I had to cut two of the center rod link holes to have it flat on the tray. I also had to tack the green spacers off and run the y link to the frame. To fit the r2 and the goat between the frame. There not a lot of room. As you will find out. I also had to make new holes on the tray to mount the r2. For the servo i used a hitec hs-65mg because it real small. I zip tide it on the frame for now but the zip ties work ok for now. Till I make some aluminum bars latter. Here is some pic on it the y link set up that I did.

fatcash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:00 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

looks pretty tight install..I'm thinking about widen the chassis when I get my R2 sometime.. been on my list to do next..
Old 10-31-2007, 12:29 AM   #8
I joined the Band!

we have done several r2 disconnects in the ax10. no need to widen the chassis. its not that bad of a fit. the upper links do need the 6x6 spacers removed like the ckrc stage 2 kit does.

installing the tranny is as simple as drilling 4 new holes and grinding down 4 small areas on the skid plate to fit the tranny in flat. i will try to get some pics up next week when we return from the socal event.

Also imo the r2 works great after a little tuning. i also tried the smaller servos, but went with a 645mg servo and one of our r2 servo mounts. the small ones did not have the torque need to get it locked in and out immediately for comps.
KING BLING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 07:43 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

You right on it will fit on existing skid plate. Measurement on R2 are within the existing skid plate.

It was a thought to up to widen 30mm and lower link inside as well.

But any way, how is your upper link vs to your shock articulation? I noticed on mine I used traxxas bore and mine very close to touching the spring.

http://gallery.mac.com/xtremeracingt...&bgcolor=black
Old 10-31-2007, 09:50 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Default plate

I might have to wait for those picures then, not sure whether I need to mount tranny in middle or offset it to make it work with the servo plate.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:40 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I just mounted my R2D in my AX-10 and it was a breeze. It only took like 15minutes. I don't see the problem. Take out the stock tranny. I centered the R2d in the middle of the stock skid and took a pen and outlined the R2D on the stock skid. Then took a piece of paper to make a template of the bottom of the R2D to find the placement of the holes and drilled the skid. Mounts real easy.

I then mounted my shifting servo to the underneath of the battery tray. Just mounted it with some good double sided tape and works great. I will post some pics of my install today. Bottom line is an R2D fits perfect in a AX-10. I am just working on gearing now.
Xtreme RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 09:02 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Here is a picture of my install. I did cut off the right ear off the servo to get it closer to the ESC. Works good. The traxxas servo isn't that great but i have a 645 on the way.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:47 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme RC View Post
You seem to be missing something important, like a screw in the servo to hold the servo horn on.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 03:48 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Yes, but the servo still sucks. Plus i just figured out i have a tooth striped inside it. So that is the real problem i'm sure. Either way i will be replacing it as soon as my 645mg comes in.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:13 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Default heres some picture of where I am right now

This is where im at right now, need to find some of way of doing the linkage and then if I can figure that out, its time to seeif the goat will fit.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:15 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Default pics

If you cant tell, ya I like the brushed look.

also some pics of the "I need a cvd now i guess" knuckles that ckrc gave me.

Last edited by flomofo; 11-05-2007 at 05:18 PM.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:19 PM   #17
I joined the Band!

the high angle knuckles will require a cvd later. use the radio epa for know. i will try and get some pics up in the morning of the linkage.
KING BLING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 05:24 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Default cvd

it all looks pretty good to me now though, not sure how much more steering I will want, nice looking lockouts you guys make for the rear too.