Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Bent Links

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2007, 09:51 AM   #1

Default Bent Links

If you bend the stock links on the AX10 does it mess up the handling since they will obviously be a little shorter? Do you bend the front and back links? Is there any neat trick on how to get all of the links bent the same?
Thanks,
MOfroggy
MOfroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2007, 10:30 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

If you bend the stock links yes they will be shorter. I made my own bent links for the front and the rear out of all thread and brake line. The links are very easy to make just measure twice and cut once. If you have a tube bender it's easier. I picked one up for 15 bucks, works like a charm. I heard of some guys filling the tube with sand before bending so your tube doesn't squish. As for bending the links the same, again measure twice, it may help to make a jig to measure your andles.
dinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:47 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I jig? Draw a 30 degree bend on paper using a protracter, or 20 degree or whatever you want.

Bend the link until it matches your drawing.
Barillms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 11:30 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I end up using cutting tube to 106MM and end to 98.5 center to center for tube.

original tube is 98.5 so with both F/R end link I still have same wheelbase

just some my progress photo I have.

http://gallery.mac.com/xtremeracingt...&bgcolor=black
jmizoguchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 11:52 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I put 30 degree bends in my stock links with a brake tube bender, about a half inch from the end. It looks factory & works really well
highhpcummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:49 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

You will end up messing up the pinion angle and possibly the caster. It all depends on the bend you put in and if you want to drill another hole in the chassis much like the CKRC Stage 2 kit does.

I bent the fronts, which were the stock pieces at a minor bend. Had to move the upper links to the inner most hole on the frame to get good pinion angle and caster again. It is not a 30 degree bend.

The rears I bought the Axial 106mm and put 2 bends in them. They are ball-to-ball the same length as the stock units, just well bent.

Front set up:

Rear Set up:
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:07 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Aren't the bends supposed to be near the axle side? that way you get the clearance for the link?
cartronicshn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:48 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

My thoughts exactly was wondering why guys are bending there links iin the middle or as close to the chassis.
dinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:53 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

The ones I posted the fronts are bent closer to the axle. The pic and tire hide the exact bend.

The rears on the pic show 2 bends. I have run it in 1 comp (won it too) and some practice and fun running after the comp. The rears still show no scrapes. The fronts however were used as straight stocks hence all the wear rash.

You bend them for CLEARANCE on edges, not axle clearance.

Drive forward over a rock until the straight link hits. Now imagine the link was high clearanced, the rock wouldn't be touching. If you have 4 wheels touching and no link touching you have full weight and effectively full power to the wheels.

The point of high clearancing a link it to increase clearance for the links, not the axles. I did alot of searching and found the cleanrance the bid dogs use is normally central to closer to the chassis.

Last edited by binaryterror; 10-30-2007 at 08:57 AM. Reason: add more
Old 10-30-2007, 04:26 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

axial has already considered this issue with part #AXI30445 they are pre bent at 30 degrees for $15 dollars
mysharona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 05:18 PM   #11
ghetto fabulous newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysharona View Post
axial has already considered this issue with part #AXI30445 they are pre bent at 30 degrees for $15 dollars
but there not out yet. i wish they were
yotachump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 01:31 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

i notest with the bent links it exposes your drive shaft does this have any negative affect.
jwilli2213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 07:49 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Could pose a problem, but none for me yet. I still am somehow not popping shafts left and right at all. I popped the rear one at the axle only once and now installed a zip tie. Even the comp I got into a place I had to move a rock with the truck with power, nothing popped.

Its also how you pick a line. I try to pick lines that keep the major rocks or ledges to one side or another.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:26 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
Could pose a problem, but none for me yet. I still am somehow not popping shafts left and right at all. I popped the rear one at the axle only once and now installed a zip tie. Even the comp I got into a place I had to move a rock with the truck with power, nothing popped.

Its also how you pick a line. I try to pick lines that keep the major rocks or ledges to one side or another.
stop showing off. hahaha
rcracer is offline   Reply With Quote