Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: best full-length frame for the AX10?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2007, 04:28 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default best full-length frame for the AX10?

I'm looking to get some AX10 axles and an AX10 trans for christmas and build up a scaler from them, and I'd like to use the TCS Xtrail, but the fact that it's set up for droop only has me making second thoughts because I want to put enough motor/battery in this thing to give me some acceptable wheelspeed and good bashability, not just crawling/trailing, and I can't imagine that a full-droop setup would do too well on the landing from a jump no matter what size. I'm thinking the next best option would be a Reign K2-3L but I'm not sure. if there is a way to run a 1/2 droop or less setup on a Xtrail without many ill-effects as far as crawlability goes I'd be very pleased, but if not what would be a good alternative, considering my useage for the rig?

also, is there any way to get the tires all the way under the fenders of a bronco or landy or rubicon body using AX10 axles? I understand the whole wider is better for stability thing but having half or more of the tire sticking out from the fenders isn't a look I like, if nothing else than for the potential for tire-rub while flexing or landing off of a jump, and I don't want to trim the wheel wells any further than the cut line
Slyp Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2007, 04:46 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

You dont HAVE to do droop with it im sure you can find another shock that will work...they are both nice chassis and either would be great choices..
k9popo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:51 PM   #3
MODERATOR™

Yeah, I don't know what the fully collapsed length of a stock shock is, but if you can get that, then just find a shock that's about the same length and you're out of droop land with the X Trail.

What size wheels are you going to use?
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 05:01 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

this is the X-TRAIL with tlt-1 shocks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,no droopy....have a cookie......james

xxkalladorxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 05:12 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

ah, so it looks like I'ma be a xtrail owner after december 25th!
Old 12-06-2007, 05:51 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

hey tom, you deciding to build a scaler now? i got my wk, but cant drive it untill december 18th or 19th.:-(

Last edited by bigblazerboy; 12-06-2007 at 05:56 PM.
bigblazerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 06:41 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

yup. I'm still trying to work out the finer details of it but I know it's going to have a bronco body, xtrail chassis, TCS link mount/servo mount on the front axle, tcs boomerang rear link mount, rear lockouts and straight axles, RC4WD X10 black external reservoir shocks, either narrowed black rockster beadlocks (from xtreme rc hobbies) or black RPM revolver narrow wheelbase crawler (narrow rims with 0.69" of backspacing for a narrower track width. RPM just named them funky) and probably either 2.2 moab type Bs or narrowed dirt works depending on how extreme I want it to look. undecided on the power source

Last edited by Slyp Dawg; 12-06-2007 at 07:01 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:10 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

tom, maybe we can gtg when we finish our rigs. i cant start till christmas time so should be a good winter project. but mine will be kinda slow. im going to get a chassis llike that for the wk.the cx trail chassis by cralerx.net, but the site doesnt work any more, but look similar with servo mount on the chassis in the front. it would be interestin to see who rig perfoms better when there done, mine wont have any fancy elecs or anything, you know why.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:23 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

you might want to look into the xtrail with an axial trans. another thing. if you end up busting axle internals, AX10 parts are a direct drop-in. get one of the axial lockers, axle shafts, and HD ring/pinion and you shouldn't have any problems with busting axle guts
Old 12-07-2007, 01:48 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

the diffs might work but the shafts would be to short. i know the locker will but like the rcguy one but if hobbytown has it then ill get it