Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Axle Steer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2007, 09:11 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Axle Steer

Ok, so upon building my Xtrail scorpion with the internal springs originally ontop of the plunger I got major axle steer where the left rear tire would suck in towards the right front and vice versa.. So I put the springs under the plunger now and still get axle steer at full flex.. I still need to put on my tcs upper link mounts to see if that helps.. But does anyone else have any suggestions or run into the same issues?
BCCrawlerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2007, 09:16 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Mine does the sasme even with the TSC upper mounts. Im going to try different shocks next to see if it helps or not.
Ax-10Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 09:23 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Hmmmm that is crazy... I Sure like how low the cog is though now with the internal springs below the plunger.. Sits super low.. and with 1.9s this baby will be a hard one to roll or flip I think!
Old 12-09-2007, 11:19 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

It doesn't matter what shocks you put in. Axle steer has to do with link geometry. The lowers are parallel to the frame and that's causing your axle steer. If you can triangulate your lower links that will cure it (mount your lower links in the center of the frame)...but you run into driveshaft clearance problems.
miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:39 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

the shorter upper links contribute to the axle steer alot
try some longer uppers ( same length as the lower links)
also try to make sure that they are parallel to each other .
yoda316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:43 PM   #6
MODERHATER™

I limited the travel of the shocks and lowered it all in one, fixed that.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:06 AM   #7
RCC Addict

The CKRC Axial Stage 2 kit will fix that problem. There's a link on the front page on how to do it.
Skeeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:03 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

So the stage 2 kit will work even on the xtrail chassis? And solve my problem, do you have any pics of it being used on this chassis or do I build it the same as the stock chassis... Would the bent link kit be better or just the regular...
Old 12-10-2007, 10:05 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeno View Post
The CKRC Axial Stage 2 kit will fix that problem. There's a link on the front page on how to do it.
Stage 2 is for the stock Chassis, not for the Xtrail series.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:52 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

No silly, the stage two kit will not work with the trail chassis. however, you can easily replicate the concept. the short upper links mostly contribute to the axle steer, so you need to lengthen them. The problem is that there are only so man holes that you can run the links in, so in order to lengthen the links, you must mount the lower links as far out as possible. Then head to your LHS and pick up some tubing, 4-40 rod, traxxas rod ends and make some longer links that will mount to the INBOARD holes. This should help alot. Also, double check and make sure that the screws that hold the links to the chassis are nice and snug.
mysharona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:54 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Short upper links have nothing to do with the axle steer. Again, it's the lowers that are parallel to the frame rails. Inboard them on the frame end and your axle steer will go away.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:58 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

So when you say inboard the lower links you mean mount them on the inside of the chassis, not the outside correct..
Old 12-11-2007, 12:05 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Yup so it becomes a dual triangulated set up. The closer together you can get them the better. Putting them on the inside of the frame rails will help but if you can get them to the middle of the frame that is ideal. The upper links are triangulated already, you want to make your lower links triangulate opposite to your upper links.

The reason the lower links cause axle steer is because with the links parallel to the frame rails the arc that the links move on is parallel to the frame. This means that as your links move in an arc from horizontal they become shorter and pull the axle towards the front of the truck. If they both move in exact oposite or exact same direction then there is no axle steer...which rarely happens. If one link is fixed and the other side moves up or down it moves closer to the front of the truck twisting the axle and giving you axle steer. This is really easy to see if you hold it in your hands and cycle the axle.

If your lower links are triangulated then the arc that the links move on is perpendicular to the framerails. This would be like spinning a compass, the pencil end and point end (left and right tires) will always be the same distance away from where you are spinning it with your fingers (inboarded lower link mounts on the frame side).

Good luck
Old 12-11-2007, 03:55 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

seems to me that it's the upper Y link that causes axle steer as much as anything else..

Last edited by stanbro; 12-11-2007 at 04:02 AM.
stanbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 07:44 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Ok, so I guess what I need to do then is notch out the skid plate on the 4 corners to be able to mount the links on the inside... out comes the dremel tool... Ill give that a go tonight and see what happens.. Let you guys know!
Old 12-12-2007, 09:53 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

After re-positioning the lower links to the outside of the axle mount and the shocks to the inside.. along with the front and rear shocks to the outside of the chassis I was able to elimanate the axle steer issue.. I also extended the upper links using the stock green spacers, and using TCS link mounts.. Problem solved... Also running internal springs under the plunger instead of above it.. Now just need to get my 72 Chev C10 body and this baby is 1.9 scale!!! Yay!