Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: How do I reduce the foward and backwards roll??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2007, 05:57 AM   #1

Default How do I reduce the foward and backwards roll??

Hello,

Not sure of the proper terminolgy but when my Scorpion is standing still I am able to roll it forward or backwards a couple of inches by hand before the drive train locks into place. I assume this is normal but is there anyway of reducing the amount of roll or even better eliminating it all together? My Scorpion is in stock form.

Thanks.
The ROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2007, 06:13 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

mine does the same... if you really go piece by piece each thing has a little play just so everything can roll smoothly but when you add it all up on the entire truck it turns into alot ..not sure of a fix but check your motors alignment if theres to much play in the pinion and the drive gear that would cause a great amount of it..
firstumustcrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 06:42 AM   #3

Mine does the same thing, but I don't seem to notice it when I'm crawling. I saw a post somewhere on here where someone mentioned a few ways to tighten it up. I haven't been able to find the link. Since it didn't seem to make a difference when I was running mine, I have just left it alone.
steven9026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 07:08 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Check for slop thats what the problem is.

If you search this forum there are many tips and ideas to fix the problem. Try searching for Drivetrain play or slop.

The main piece of the puzzle is the Ring/Pinion of the stock kit. The upgraded one might help solve this issue as it is machined out of superior metal. The other issue is the Axle to locker slop. This can be solved by either shimming the fit with tin foil or buying the RC4WD Tracgear set up (which I believe also helps fit the Ring/Pinion fit without buying the upgraded Ring/Pinion from Axial).
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:47 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

I would say the only place you don’t want drive train backlash would be where the dogbone plugs into the aluminum spool/locker. I put red locktite on the flat spots before sliding the dogbone into the spool. The locktite will harden, fill any gaps and you’ll still be able to yank them out for maintenance.
Thad Garner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 10:08 AM   #6
ghetto fabulous newbie

ring and pinion slop, is a lot of it. if you buy the HD ring and pinion set it will reduce the slop.
yotachump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 10:09 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Alot of the slop can be removed by upgrading the drive train. Staight axles in the rear helps alot(ton of slop in dog-bone set-up) The new HD ring and pinion will help alot as well, it eliminates the floating locker. I'm still waitin on CVD for the front witch will eliminate a bunch more. But with just those changes yould be amazed how much is eliminated. Good luck...
cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:23 PM   #8

Thanks for the advice and the terminolgy "slop or drivetrain play" is what I was looking for.

Cheers.
The ROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:46 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cato View Post
I'm still waitin on CVD for the front witch will eliminate a bunch more.
RC4WD already has the "XVD" available

http://rc4wdstore.com/product_info.p...roducts_id=715

Currently sold out, but Ill bet they will get more in stock soon.
RivBlueNoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:00 PM   #10

Actually the XVD for the Axial has a design flaw and they are going back to the drawing boards, see the thread in the vendor's market.

I've yet to find a place where the slop has caused me trouble or points in a comp. Most of it is in the dogbone outdrives and the stock alum axle locker.
Anthony.L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 02:22 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

has anyone tried shiming the ring gear or pinion...(maybe w traxxas .5m teflon shims..from pede xmn pn 1985) i saw thead where someone had a clicking from axle turned out that pinion brng wasnt seated so pinion might not be a good idea maybe ring gear would be the place to start...if u really cant deal with it...sorry dont know of larger shims..
gadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 02:27 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony.L View Post
Actually the XVD for the Axial has a design flaw and they are going back to the drawing boards, see the thread in the vendor's market.
Well thats great, I just bought a set on monday.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:35 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

you don't want a play in the drive train but you do want it to move freely. tomuch slop will cause premature wear but if it's to tight the you'll end up scrubing some thing else.... one step at a time....
roninwarrior555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 02:50 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Riv: where'ld you find them? Every time I look, they're "out of stock"
cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:10 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Found them on rc4wd's site. They didnt show out of stock on monday so I ordered a set. By tuesday they showed being out of stock.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:29 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

If you put a small washer behind the pinion it will mesh the R&P gears better and reduces the front to back slop. If you wrap the ends of your axle shafts with a little tin foil before sliding the axle into the locker it reduces side to side slop. This has been discussed a few times before. SEARCH!
grapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote