Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX10 2nd-gen

Notices

Thread: Best of both worlds Ridgecrest!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Best of both worlds Ridgecrest!

Axial Ridgecrest 4000KV brushless system! - YouTube

I have started heavily modifying my Ridgecrest! I have a fully programmable ESC with drag brake and a 4000KV motor system on my AX10 Ridgecrest. It crawls on 2s and bashes on 3s! HPI Sedonas on weighted Axial bead locks. I ditched the bumpers, trimmed the body, and have added a mystery power plant to the mix!
isyeskeert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2012, 06:50 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Best of both worlds Ridgecrest!

Let's see some pics or vids of build.
Kmmac1705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:12 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

There is a video link in my original post. Sorry for the toddler and his piggy fun, but I thought it was awesome. Pics will come later, when I finally break down and get me a new camera!
Old 09-26-2012, 07:16 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-26-2012, 07:17 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Old 09-26-2012, 07:32 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

As you can see, I trimmed the body, like everyone else. There is WAY too much plastic there. I have found that when it rolls, it is hard to correct.

The stock R.I.P.saws weigh in at 5.7 ounces and offer very little grip. I now have Axial beadlocks and HB Sedonas in the white (soft formula), fronts weighing 13.2 ounces and rears at 8.5. I love the extra width that the Axials offer, but am looking for a set of wheels that are more positive offset, to make it narrower.

I have ditched the stock esc and motor, while they were still good. I am saving them for a build for my son. I have added a 4000kv brushless system that is 2s and 3s capable, fully programmable, and has a drag brake. The truck offers up wheelies on demand, yet, it still crawls managably.

I have added a STRC steering linkage, which helped the steering response tremendously, yet it shows the downfalls of the stock servo. The weight of the front tires and the rigidity of the linkage strip the servo horn frequently. I am currently looking for a new servo, preferrably a brushless servo. Then, I will add an aluminum servo horn.

So far, I am impressed with the platform that Axial has engineered. The truck has the capability of being very flexible, while handling TREMENDOUS power. There is more than enough anti-squat in the suspension, while being pliable to irregular surfaces.

Stay tuned for the future upgrades!
Old 09-26-2012, 07:40 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Got flex?
Old 09-27-2012, 05:23 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Nice I like what you've done so far! Keep updating.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:14 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Default Savox SC-0251MG

This servo was highly recommended by a buddy and then confirmed at the local hobby shop. 222.2 oz-in. @6.0V and under $40. I was told to save my money, that I would be happy with it! I took my chances, seeing as my sons have a crawler a piece and are not as picky as I am! I could put it on one of their Scorpions, no loss there. I will update on its performance, after a few batteries!
Old 09-28-2012, 06:26 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Where did you get it at? Let us kno how it does cause I looking for a good servo around that price.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:24 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Savox SC-0251MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by isyeskeert View Post

This servo was highly recommended by a buddy and then confirmed at the local hobby shop. 222.2 oz-in. @6.0V and under $40. I was told to save my money, that I would be happy with it! I took my chances, seeing as my sons have a crawler a piece and are not as picky as I am! I could put it on one of their Scorpions, no loss there. I will update on its performance, after a few batteries!
From experience. Your gonna wish you had went with at minimum a 350oz servo. Better towards the 400oz range. I have the savox 1268mg at 368oz and in tight situations its almost not enough torque. But I'm loving those sedonas on there
donhd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:57 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Yeah, I have got you on the stronger servo. I like this one for a basher, which is half of the intended build here. The servo was stronger, smoother, and felt better than the stock Axial servo, but, I was wishing for a little more beef. I am building a basher/crawler (hence best of both worlds) and this servo serves well in the yard, but slacked a bit on my rock course. But, for $40, this is A DANG FINE SERVO! I will be putting this on my son's Scorpion and buying a better one for my Ridgecrest. The servo is a SC0251MG and I like it. Just for grins, I weighed it. It was 3/4 oz heavier than the factory servo. That is just like getting a little extra weight on the front axle. It isn't a massive amount of weight, but it helps with the front bias.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:03 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

The current steering setup! I am getting a clamping, aluminum servo horn in the mail soon. This one has not stripped yet and it was a $6.99 el cheapo from the local Hobbytown, it too, will go on my son's Scorpion. Now, those shocks, they have got to go! I am researching a longer travel shock that will work nicely.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:46 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

B17 Betty body on my Ridgecrest. Slid it all the way back and bobbed the bed at the rear axle. Plain, simple, and white!
Old 10-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Finally! An action shot!
Old 10-05-2012, 09:48 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Wraith Stage 1 aluminum links kit! More aluminum to come, soon. I am loving this truck!
Old 10-11-2012, 08:05 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Cool progress, but why are all your pictures mirrored?
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:48 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Sorry about being away for a while. My laptop has been on the blink, it is also the reason that my pics are mirrored. I have been using my webcam for the pics.

The ridgecrest has been a lot of fun. I have purchased a set of HB Rovers on another set of Axial beadlocks. It got a set of aluminum shocks from duratrax, part no. DTXC9004. They are a lot smoother than the factory shocks. I put longer rod ends on them to get my ride height back. Of course, I did not use the stiff yellow springs that came with them, I put the factory red springs back on them. They are working well in high speed and crawling.

I have another set of wheels on the way. Swinging pendulum weighted bead locks. I do not expect them to work well at speed, but they may wind up on the tuber that I am reworking.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:57 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

nice build, do you recommend the ridgecrest for a first crawler or should I be looking at something else? I don't plan on modding mine too much at first. want to see more of this though. thumbs up
benster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:26 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Why not get one for your first crawler? This thing is FUN! You will have to change a few things pretty quickly, like the screws in the front axle, but, overall I love mine. When I go to drive one of the other crawlers (2 AX10s, TCS Eclipse, Losi MRC) they feel slow and do not turn as sharply. The Ridgecrest will climb a mud hill that only my Eclipse will climb, but, the Eclipse is a dedicated build. It is purely a crawler, and does not go fast. The Ridgecrest can do both, crawl and bash! Highly recommended!

Best of both worlds Ridgecrest! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XJ Ridgecrest Countryhandyman Axial AX10 2nd-gen 6 07-30-2012 06:12 PM
Here's my take on the Ridgecrest... jaxandjokers Axial AX10 2nd-gen 8 07-08-2012 07:27 PM
Who is going to worlds? The Violator Arizona 8 07-25-2009 06:50 PM