Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX10 2nd-gen

Notices

Thread: Project AX-10 "Scaler"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2017, 10:28 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Project AX-10 "Scaler"

Ever since I got my AX-10 crawler several years back, I've wanted to try and give it a more "scale" appearance. I ended up building up a Wraith and the old AX-10 kinda took a back seat.

So, yesterday I started mocking some things up and playing around with the idea again. I had a Team Raffe metal Wraith roll cage/chassis I figured I could incorporate. I also had a TrailFinder "Yota" body that I scored real cheap on E-Bay.

I ended up cutting the front end off the metal Wraith chassis and fitting up the cockpit and rear section to the AX-10 by drilling some new holes in the lower area where the Wraith skid would mount up. I was then able to bolt the unit as a whole to the AX-10 Chassis using the link mount area. Everything clears real well and allows for full articulation and flex. (best of all, I think I might be able to use the shock mount area on the Wraith chassis for additional shock positioning.)

After getting all that mocked up, I then took the chopped front end section and was able to cut it up a bit more and utilize the stinger front bumper and winch mount. I mounted this directly to the "Yota" body and gave it enough offset so that I can actually mount a winch if I want.

I've still got to hack on the Yota body around the front fenders to provide better clearance for flex, but so far i'm real pleased with the way things are progressing. (anyone know the best/cleanest way to cut these hard bodies? I did some dremel cuts on it and it seems to melt about as much as cut!)

In the back cage area I'm going to fab up a piece of aluminum to make a bed for it to secure some scale goods, etc.

I'll keep posting pics as this project progresses. This forum always inspires me to work on my rigs and come up with new stuff, so I hope my post inspires someone as well!
Attached Images

mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2017, 03:24 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Project AX-10 "Scaler"

Made up a nice little bed out of some under-layment. The only issue was I had to do it in two, mirrored halves. The cage is just too tight to get it in there in one piece. Turned out solid when mounted though. I'm either going to just paint it black, or get some of that plastic diamond plate stuff with the sticky back.
Attached Images

Old 10-16-2017, 03:04 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

So I made some more progress last night on Project AX-10 "scaler". I got all the points where I cut the tube chassis down filed down and smooth, then I primed it. I also got the fender wells trimmed out and smoothed up. I may need to take a little bit more, but I figure it's better to take a little bit at a time then too much all at once. I also headed a different direction on the bed. I had done the wood unit with flooring under-layment, but the 2 piece design was kind of bothering me, even though it was sturdy when installed. I ended up doing a new one with this sturdy, 1/8" plastic/vinyl material I had laying around. I definitely like it better as it's got just enough flex for me to fit it through the cage as a 1 piece design. I think i'm also going to order a scale bed-box to mount over the ESC area to hide and protect it. I have to do some searching tonight and see what catches my eye. Anyway, that's the updated progress so far.
Attached Images

Old 10-17-2017, 03:09 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Got the cage painted, filled holes and primed the cab. Gonna do a low key tan color and then distress it with a black wash. Ordered up the bed box last night. My idea is to cut and notch the backside of it out so it can sit back over the ESC. I'm also going to pick up a new receiver with additional aux channels for lighting, winch and other accesories.

The DuraTrax Showdowns are huge on this thing. I just put them on for mock up. Still plan on running the BFG's which are a good half inch shorter.
Attached Images

Old 10-17-2017, 03:10 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Idk why the photos post sideways when I post directly from my phone vs computer. Sorry.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:58 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

cool progress. I wouldn't have thought of that, but it's turning out pretty nice. I'll be anxious to see a good side on view once its done and see how well the motor and trans tuck up inside. Kinda miss the ax10 I built first.
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:20 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeMinnix View Post
cool progress. I wouldn't have thought of that, but it's turning out pretty nice. I'll be anxious to see a good side on view once its done and see how well the motor and trans tuck up inside. Kinda miss the ax10 I built first.
Thanks - it's turning out pretty well so far. I agree on the AX-10. Mine was just kind of sitting around gathering dust. It was a shame because they crawl great when they're sorted out. As far as the motor and trans clearence, it will remain the same as the AX-10. I just grafted the metal wraith cage on to the AX-10 chassis like an exo-cage. The bottom the metal cage actually sits about 3/4" higher than the bottom of the wraith skid.
Attached Images

Old 10-17-2017, 07:22 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I meant AX-10 skid in the last part of the above post. Primer and paint fumes got me loopy! :0
Old 10-19-2017, 01:56 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Ok - So I've got Project AX-10 "Scaler" pretty well wrapped up. I had a great time building this thing, mocking things up and basically making everything work. It has definitely renewed my interest in the 'ol AX-10 and breathed new life in to it. Still need to work a couple little things out, but I took it out this afternoon on my little backyard course and I forgot how well I had this thing sorted for crawling. I'm going to add a few more scale accessories like a winch, lights, some gas cans, tie downs, to really try and finalize the more "scale" look. (BTW - I've been putting the word scale in quotes when referring to this rig because I realize this is not a true scaler and never will be) But, I think it looks pretty bad ass now and much more realistic than the other body options I've tried. It might even become my go-to Trail Rig!
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2017, 03:19 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Thing looks like loads of fun
Crazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 03:20 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Default Flex: Project AX-10 "Scaler"

Quick little Flex Shot
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2017, 03:22 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazed View Post
Thing looks like loads of fun
Thanks! I had a blast building it up and figuring everything out!
Old 10-19-2017, 06:49 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Looks real good,
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 11:04 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

So I picked up a lexan scale interior today from my LHS and their closeout bin. Not sure what it's from, but it appears to be wide wnough and depp enough for me to mate it up to the metal wraith cage for a finished interior look. Still need to hack it up and do some fitment and check battery clearences. I'll post a pic when I get to that point.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:16 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Still working on the interior deal for this rig. Lots of trimming and fitment to get it to fit in the cab, and around the roll cage inside. Then I still have to paint it up, which is not my strong suit!

Anyway, I got sick and tired of trying to get the C-Hubs to tighten down on the old, stock plastic AR-60's. Even with the beef tubes they would constantly loosen and just not fully snug down. I didn't want to spend a whole lotta money on this thing at this point since it's been all about seeing what I could do on a budget build on an existing rig that I hadn't really been using. I ended up buying some metal Xtra Speed AR60 axle housings on FleaBay for $43.00 shipped for the set. They arrived yesterday and overall I was impressed with the quality. The finish looked pretty good (silver), and the heft and increased weight will be nice to have. (They weighed about 20% more than the plastics with Beeftubes). I put everything together last night and it went very smoothly. STRC C-HUBS and Knuckles mated right up, and more importantly, they locked down firmly! I ended up using stainless hardware and added a washer to the bolts that secure the C-Hub and liberally coated the threads with blue threadlock. I'm about 99% sure I'll no longer be dealing with loosening C-Hubs at this point! I think for $43 a set, these were a perfect fit for the scope of this project in terms of both budget and quality. I would recommend then to anyone who is experiencing the same issue and who can't or does not want to spend the premium on other brands. Don't get me wrong, brands like Vanquish are unparalleled in terms of quality, fit and finish. I just built up a loaded set of Currie F9's from them for a new, custom Truggy project I've got going. But again, the cost of those units would not be appropriate for this rig.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:40 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Here's a quick couple shots of the new axle housings, and also a shot of some of the additional accessories I added.
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2017, 06:48 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Those housings look real good, might have to invest in a pair
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 07:09 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flea View Post
Those housings look real good, might have to invest in a pair
I tell ya Mike, they are hard to go wrong with for the $. Nice weight and heft to them, good finish on them, although they could easily be scuffed/sanded and sprayed any color you would desire. Heck, new AXIAl plastic AR60 housings cost as much. It was real nice to finally be able to get the C-Hubs clamped down good and firm as well!

Project AX-10 "Scaler" - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project "Extreme Rubicon" JK Scaler 51WillysJeep 2.2 Scale Rigs 5 05-30-2010 01:58 PM
Power Wagon Scaler... or project "MOPAR Mayhem" 500swmag 2.2 Scale Rigs 61 02-15-2009 12:29 AM
Project "Extreme Trail" Toyota Scaler 51WillysJeep 1.9 Scale Rigs 4 02-09-2008 07:40 PM