Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: On the fence, how big of a pain is it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2020, 08:38 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default On the fence, how big of a pain is it?

I am trying to decide on my next comp build, and I am looking at the Capra and the Gatekeeper.

The Capra has a couple of features I like that the Gatekeeper does not. I really like the dig, I like the portals, and that most people say that it is a better crawling rig, requiring less real tuning.

With that, I REALLY hate having to disassemble the chassis to get to the electronics. This is the one key area that the Gatekeeper has over the Capra. How big of a pain is it getting in to geek and tweak on it? Where are the normal spots to mount the electronics?

If it helps, I am planning on running a Mamba-X.

Thanks!
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2020, 10:27 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: On the fence, how big of a pain is it?

I left the interior out of my Capra to keep the electronics accessible. RX (6ch Radiolink) and ESC (Mamba Micro X) are mounted to the "dashboard" (directly behind the A pillar, below the bottom of the windshield) and my BEC is on the passenger side "floorboard." You could fit most of that stuff in the fuel cell if you wanted it to look tidier. Dig servo is accessible from overhead too. Getting the transmission out is still a bit of a pain compared to a c-channel chassis, so if you regularly feel the need to swap motors out (or change pinion gears) that could get annoying, but it's still not too bad. The battery compartment is snug and won't accept gargantuan stick packs either. My 2200mah 3s's wouldn't even fit due to their shape so I just run 1500's, but there are other options in the 3-4000mah range that will fit if you need super long run times. If the extra width of the Capra axles doesn't steer you away, I'd vote Capra all the way.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 12:25 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

My $.02

I'm really enjoying my Gatekeeper. I've owned 2 Senderos, a Trailwalker, and now the Gatekeeper. I initially bought it to design panels to sell, but I was pleasantly surprised by how well it drove.

The Capra is a good rig too, but it is a PITA to do major internal work on, the transmission gearing sucks, and the bullshit move of trying to push you into buying their servo in order to get the servo saver was really annoying IMO.

Properly setup, the Capra is probably the more capable rig, but I just really like the Gatekeeper better, lol.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
JSterrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 01:09 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I absolutely love my Capra, but there have been weeks that it sat on the shelf because I didn't want the hassle of getting into it. I have never had anything so hard to work on.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 02:41 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Thingyverse has a file to print out a rear bulkhead to seal off the back but it's a great place to mount your electronics using double sided tape, etc.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4257461
Kingmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 03:01 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Capra is very small space and tough to work on. Given the constraints, it would be tough to fit a Mamba X in there.

My first electronics setup on my Capra was a Tekin FXR. I’m now running a Holmes BRXL which is much bigger than the Tekin. The BRXL is much smaller than the Mamba X. I run the Mamba X in my Gatekeeper and it would be really hard to fit it in the Capra.

Both are good rigs, but in different ways. Capra is a better crawler, while the Gatekeeper is a better overall rig.
nielsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 03:14 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielsm View Post
Given the constraints, it would be tough to fit a Mamba X in there.
I have a Mamba X in mine. It's attached to the plate in the back of the cab area just in front of the fuel cell.
Old 11-15-2020, 03:28 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I loved my Capra, but it was a pain to work on. So I built it into an vs4-10 chassis and it was every bit of capable but the suspension just didn’t quite work correctly. Since then I’ve built it into a lcg chassis and I’m super happy with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 06:46 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Yes, it's more work to get into to the Capra to work on it but it's such a great crawler, I'd say it's absolutely worth it.

Actually once you take it apart two times or so, you get use to what screws you need to take out and which one's you don't. It's really not that big of a deal.
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 07:27 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Honestly, 8 screws will drop the shocks and skid with the trans/motor. If you don't like working on a Capra stay away from a 2.2 wraith!!! I've not driven a Gatekeeper but have an Enduro and have had less issues out of my Capra than my Enduro.
Lashlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 03:41 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lashlee View Post
If you don't like working on a Capra stay away from a 2.2 wraith!!!
I have a 550 motor and a sidewinder 4 inside of my 2.2 Wraith with room to spare. The inside of my Capra is a whole other story.
Old 11-17-2020, 07:08 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

My understanding is that you must split the cage from the skid, to remove the trans, to remove the gear cover, to change gearing or swap motors. Does this sound correct? I assume even with no interior that the trans won't fit out the window openings? Leaving the interiors out of my Wraith and Bomber has made them much more tolerable to work on, but they have larger cages with window openings my hands actually fit through.

I see adapter plates offered to put the good'ol 3 gear trans into the Capra, but they look to only use 3 out of 4 mounting bolts. My OCD will not tolerate that. Does anyone offer a skid, or adapter plate, that uses all 4 mounting holes? I'm guessing the "missing" bolt wants to occupy the same space as a link end, or something like that?
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 07:46 AM   #13
RCC Addict

I left the interior out of my girls Capra, and you can snake the trans out the window. That’s with a 540 trailmaster motor attached to it. With the interior out, it’s much easier to work on, connect the battery, etc

Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 09:15 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

to do anything with the trans you will need to removeit with motor attached. after the first couple of times, i find its not that big of a deal. especially if you plan your wiring with that in mind. i put in an extension for my steering servo, so to drop the skid I unplug both servos and motor, remove the top shock bolts and the 4 skid bolts and the cage just lifts off. it helps to grease the bolts that attach the skid to the chassis. i stripped two trying to remove the skid the first time.
splyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 02:06 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I have a system for working on mine. I take the middle of the roof off and leave it attached to the hood and remove the two rear screw to the interior. That only takes a minute or two and you can access anything in there to include the transmission. I never drop the skid.

frdtrkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 05:47 PM   #16
Hal
Quarry Creeper

I don't get that working on the Capra is difficult. 4 screws and the whole bellypan drops right out, transmission and all. 4 more and the shocks are off. It makes it easier to work on I think. No need to remove driveshaft or links. If I am tearing it down to work on to tweak my setup it's nice to have it all come out together. I am not a fan of the gearing, it's way too high for a crawler unless you upgrade transmission so you can run 9 tooth pinion. I swapped in a different transmission with lower gearing and overdrive in the transmission instead of the axle/portal. I am very happy with it.
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote

On the fence, how big of a pain is it? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
On The Fence charvel74 Newbie General 12 01-10-2017 06:58 AM
Help to knock me off the fence gdhknives Team Losi Comp Crawler 5 05-02-2010 09:39 PM
on the fence, what to get next 2500hdon37s Chit Chat 4 04-27-2010 06:33 PM
So I am on the fence... BoostEEd Axial AX-10 Scorpion 23 03-26-2009 12:28 PM
on the fence desision cammok5 Chit Chat 5 09-18-2007 08:42 PM