Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: Dezfan’s Horny Old Goat (HOG)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2019, 09:03 AM   #41
Gold Star Baby!

Default Re: Dezfan’s Horny Old Goat (HOG)

Very cool Dez, love the paint style. It came out great. I like that shade of green you ended up with myself.

Also that bog hog body ain’t looking too bad on the cap!
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2019, 10:05 AM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarsones View Post
Great paint job, digging it!
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
I like the "throwback" paintjob. What color code was the Tamiya green you used?
It was fun, the color is Tamiya PS-8 backed with silver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
Very cool Dez, love the paint style. It came out great. I like that shade of green you ended up with myself.

Also that bog hog body ain’t looking too bad on the cap!
I guess I was just hoping it would be closer to the color of the paint cap?
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 10:22 AM   #43
Rock Crawler

How did you do the slpatter?
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 06:58 PM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Dawg View Post
How did you do the slpatter?
I set up a splatter shield to keep the flying paint off my freshly dry walled and painted garage walls.

I go to the dollar store and get the cheapest tooth brushes I can find.

Apply the paint directly to the bristles and then flip the brush in the general direction of the panels.

To get the finer splatter, I move closer to the panels and run my thumb over the bristles with the bristles pointing downwards toward the panels.

Really no wrong way to do it.

Just let er rip! 😈

As I’m stuck in standby mode waiting on parts, figured I do the “Jato Mod” to my fuel cell/receiver box.

Like Jato says, all fuel cells should be red!👍🏼

Old 10-18-2019, 07:05 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Like Jato says, all fuel cells should be red!

We shall see about that...we shall see...lol

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:24 PM   #46
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
I set up a splatter shield to keep the flying paint off my freshly dry walled and painted garage walls.

I go to the dollar store and get the cheapest tooth brushes I can find.

Apply the paint directly to the bristles and then flip the brush in the general direction of the panels.

To get the finer splatter, I move closer to the panels and run my thumb over the bristles with the bristles pointing downwards toward the panels.

Really no wrong way to do it.

Just let er rip! 😈

As I’m stuck in standby mode waiting on parts, figured I do the “Jato Mod” to my fuel cell/receiver box.

Like Jato says, all fuel cells should be red!👍🏼

Thanks for the info! May try something like this when I eventually replace the body on the traxxas rally.

Fuel cell looks good
Old 10-18-2019, 07:43 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
We shall see about that...we shall see...lol

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Any other color would be illogical. 🤔

Quote:
Thanks for the info! May try something like this when I eventually replace the body on the traxxas rally.

Fuel cell looks good
Just let er rip!

Thanks, fuel cell needed to be painted, it’s a “scaler” after all.🤣
Old 10-18-2019, 07:53 PM   #48
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Any other color would be illogical. 🤔

Just let er rip!

Thanks, fuel cell needed to be painted, it’s a “scaler” after all.🤣
Gonna make me have to paint mine LOL

Which paint did ya use? I like the finish.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:14 PM   #49
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

I’m going through my wife’s nail polish to find that perfect shade of red. Hope I pull it off before she gets home and castrates me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
KulaHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:15 PM   #50
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Any other color would be illogical.
Who said anything about logic? Besides, logic isn't all it's cracked up to be. Even Spock, on rare occasions, ignored the "logical"...thus, so shall I. Besides, Luke, Leia, and Han always ignored "logic"...they rushing into the "illogical". That being said, 'red' will be involved...somehow.

Old 10-18-2019, 10:09 PM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Rust-Oleum 2x Gloss Candy Red.

I think it used to be called Fusion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KulaHI View Post
I’m going through my wife’s nail polish to find that perfect shade of red. Hope I pull it off before she gets home and castrates me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Whatever tool it takes to get the job done.💄🤣

Quote:
Who said anything about logic? Besides, logic isn't all it's cracked up to be. Even Spock, on rare occasions, ignored the "logical"...thus, so shall I. Besides, Luke, Leia, and Han always ignored "logic"...they rushing into the "illogical". That being said, 'red' will be involved...somehow.

I’m just razing you. 😝

Paint that sucker whatever color floats your boat.👍🏼
Old 10-18-2019, 10:45 PM   #52
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I’m just razing you.

Paint that sucker whatever color floats your boat.
I know ya was...lol. Mine will have red, but primary colors is white, as it goes with the "theme". As with any "first", people like the 'first' to be "special" (I'm sure you can understand that one). It's partially for this reason that I'm attempting to "elevate" my Capra. Of course, there's also another reason...but, that will have to wait until I create the thread for what I've done (which won't be until it's complete.

I got a little more work done on it this evening, but my primary focus earlier today was the wheels & tires (had to Dremel the 1.9 foams to fit the 2.2 wheels, then put the wheels/tires together), as well as (partially) installing the electronics. In the meantime, you, and everyone else who's completed their, gets to enjoy running theirs, while I get to...uh...look at the pieces? Lol. I just hope that my "theme" comes out half as good as your "splatter".

Last edited by Panther6834; 10-18-2019 at 11:14 PM.
Old 10-19-2019, 10:22 AM   #53
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I know ya was...lol. Mine will have red, but primary colors is white, as it goes with the "theme". As with any "first", people like the 'first' to be "special" (I'm sure you can understand that one). It's partially for this reason that I'm attempting to "elevate" my Capra. Of course, there's also another reason...but, that will have to wait until I create the thread for what I've done (which won't be until it's complete.

I got a little more work done on it this evening, but my primary focus earlier today was the wheels & tires (had to Dremel the 1.9 foams to fit the 2.2 wheels, then put the wheels/tires together), as well as (partially) installing the electronics. In the meantime, you, and everyone else who's completed their, gets to enjoy running theirs, while I get to...uh...look at the pieces? Lol. I just hope that my "theme" comes out half as good as your "splatter".

Building and personalizing are the biggest part for me.

It’s no fun to go out and see 27 rigs exactly the same as your rig.

Why I rarely buy RTRs.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:04 AM   #54
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Building and personalizing are the biggest part for me.

It’s no fun to go out and see 27 rigs exactly the same as your rig.

Why I rarely buy RTRs.
Coming from off-road buggies, SCTs, etc, I completely understand. Even tho we're all building the same kits (ok, some of us go TLR, others go Associated, and so forth), not only are we all painting out bodies differently, but we also go with different gearing combos, driveshafts (personally, I prefer MIP), ESCs, motors, etc.

I know this isn't quite the same as personalizing a crawler (the crawler options are beyond imagination), but similar, even if in an entirely different way. Racers are working towards making their vehicles faster, and more controllable at fast speeds...crawlers are working towards making their vehicles look more 'scale' (to 1:1 vehicles), and more controllable at slow speeds.

Old 10-19-2019, 02:29 PM   #55
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Coming from off-road buggies, SCTs, etc, I completely understand. Even tho we're all building the same kits (ok, some of us go TLR, others go Associated, and so forth), not only are we all painting out bodies differently, but we also go with different gearing combos, driveshafts (personally, I prefer MIP), ESCs, motors, etc.

I know this isn't quite the same as personalizing a crawler (the crawler options are beyond imagination), but similar, even if in an entirely different way. Racers are working towards making their vehicles faster, and more controllable at fast speeds...crawlers are working towards making their vehicles look more 'scale' (to 1:1 vehicles), and more controllable at slow speeds.

I too came from the off road racing arena, mine was just from the infancy of off road in the early 80s to the early 90s.

I guess I got in on the early stages of crawling as well. I started crawling in 2005.

While performance (for me) is more important that scale. There is definitely a segment of the Crawler genre that scale is king!

That’s what makes crawling so cool.

Hand a 100 people a box of the same parts, and you’ll get 100 different vehicles all focused on what the builder thinks is is most important.

Being able to see all of those perspectives and being able to draw from them keeps expanding both the performance and the scale appearance.

There are scalers today with performance ability that would stomp a mud hole in the ass of my “comp” rigs from 2008(ish) and walk it dry.

The advancement from when I took a break in 2013 to 2019 was a quantum leap! 👍🏼
Old 10-19-2019, 02:51 PM   #56
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
While performance (for me) is more important that scale. There is definitely a segment of the Crawler genre that scale is king!

Being able to see all of those perspectives and being able to draw from them keeps expanding both the performance and the scale appearance.
While is exactly why I see myself having a "hand" in both sides, and having three crawlers...starting with the Capra, this will be my "everything goes" rig. It's also why I've decided on the VS4-10 being my second crawler chassis. The VS4-10 will be my comp-minded "scale" rig, and whatever I decide as my third will be my comp-minded "rock/desert racer" rig.

They will either be a very "well rounded" trio...or they'll be the "three stooges"...lol (seriously, Capra = Larry, 2nd to-be-decided = Curly, & VS4-10 = Moe).

Old 10-19-2019, 07:03 PM   #57
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
While is exactly why I see myself having a "hand" in both sides, and having three crawlers...starting with the Capra, this will be my "everything goes" rig. It's also why I've decided on the VS4-10 being my second crawler chassis. The VS4-10 will be my comp-minded "scale" rig, and whatever I decide as my third will be my comp-minded "rock/desert racer" rig.

They will either be a very "well rounded" trio...or they'll be the "three stooges"...lol (seriously, Capra = Larry, 2nd to-be-decided = Curly, & VS4-10 = Moe).

I too have rigs that serve both aspects of the hobby.

My leaf sprung, hard bodied, tiny tired Marlin fills the Class one niche, my Enduro and the Capra are more focused on performance.

One being a traditional style axle and the other being portal axle covering different build philosophies.

So many facets and sub facets.

I personally don’t have any interest in the VS4-10. It doesn’t check any boxes for me.

If I where to build a performance based rig with more attention to scale appeal, I’d buy another Enduro. More performance for less money is bonus on both ends of the game.

But that brings up back to everyone seeing things a bit different and being able to choose how they wish to complete their vision.

My next rig will be a...

At this point, I’m not sure. Lot’s of different ideas bouncing around my head.🤔
Old 10-23-2019, 05:01 PM   #58
I wanna be Dave

Well I finally got myself a lipo that fits the Capra.

Ordered up a HobbyStar 3S 3700 Mah 100C shorty pack from RC Juice.

Ordered it Sunday night, in my box Wed. morning.

Not to shabby.👍🏼

Fits like a glove. I don’t have to force it in.

Just waiting on a servo.

Might just steal one out of one of my other rigs for now.

Hope to finally get to drive it this weekend. 😀

Dezfan’s Horny Old Goat (HOG) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My first baby, but I'm horny for more jaredxcarr2000 Traxxas Crawlers 15 03-30-2010 08:21 PM
CNC machines make me horny... dieselfuel Chit Chat 41 02-03-2010 07:52 PM
one horny guy usa1man Chit Chat 4 10-26-2007 10:11 AM
2 Live Crew - Bill So Horny NWS tmaxxking1 Chit Chat 0 07-21-2007 12:11 PM