Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: Convenient find for a toolbox

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2020, 03:23 PM   #1

Default Convenient find for a toolbox

Picked up a new Capra RTR yesterday after much research and many, many years away from the hobby. Of course, things being what they are, I found myself in need of a new toolbox/pit box/something to keep my wife from going mad from the mess. Every other box in the house being already allocated a use, I headed over to Canadian Tire, expecting to pick up a Plano tackle box, as they’d served me well in the distant past.

Then I spotted this modular Mastercraft Maximum system called BRIX:

This is the small case. You’ll note the very convenient perfect fit for the Capra wheelbase (and other vehicles I’m sure!). There’s a Large (would fit the whole vehicle + remote) and a Giant (would fit two vehicles and is wheeled). But the modular part is the cool bit; they clip solidly together (and I mean it would take several hundred pounds of force to separate them!) in any order you’d like. Sold individually and as a single kit of Small, Large and Giant.

They are built like an Otter or Pelican case without the pluck foam. I can stand on the middle with no flex at all at 200lbs.

Oh yeah, it was $59 Canadian on sale.

Really fantastic deal for a super rugged case that’s a perfect fit in terms of looks and usability, for this vehicle! And the Large size is an actual perfect fit to carry one safely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Alex T; 06-13-2020 at 03:25 PM.
Alex T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2020, 05:08 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Convenient find for a toolbox

Good price. I was looking for a box I could fit a truck in a while back, and gave up because I did not find anything I liked at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 05:20 PM   #3

Well the small size won’t fit the truck but it’s like the top was moulded custom to fit the wheels of the Capra. It’s the next size above that will fit the whole truck and I’m pretty sure you’d get a transmitter in there as well.

I’m kind of tempted to order a Large size online since they were sold out at my local store. Tools and gear in the small case and truck in the other. Locked together, I can carry that on a folding dolly I keep in the trunk of the car.

Old 06-14-2020, 11:02 AM   #4

So this is a craftsman modular setup. Looks like yours. Several brands have released these systems, they are a knock off of the Milwaukee Packout system. They are basically all the same just branded and colored differently. This is the perfect setup for me, for the reasons you mentioned about the lady in the house, lol, and simply its portability and expandability. Everything locks, you could easily put some plucka foam in areas that you wanted. This setup was $150, i want to add one more piece, the small parts divided tray. But other than that it is absolutely perfect for the hobby.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Ven9mcrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 02:53 PM   #5

I was under the impression the North American manufacturers had copied the German Tanos Systainer system... They’ve been around a lot longer than anything else, but I’m glad the concept caught on. I found a Large Brix one at another store in my city, so I may head over there to pick it up.

Or I might have to wait, as two Amazon deliveries in a single day has my wife giving me the “straight eyebrow look” (I was even wise enough to have two purchases for her in there, including a cool piece of kit and not one, but five bags of this Epson Salt she likes, but my bribery game is off I guess...)

I’ve got a Stanley soft tool bag somewhat like yours, but at last weigh in, it held 56lbs of spare tools that I can’t seem to get rid of for some reason. Love the red on your kit, faster that way!

Edit: Went out and picked up that Large Brix box. Fits the Capra perfectly, with room for the transmitter as well. For Canadian users or those willing to order from Canadian Tire, these boxes are fantastic and a great price! Will update with pictures when I get a chance.

Last edited by Alex T; 06-20-2020 at 05:23 AM. Reason: Update on purchase
Old 06-14-2020, 03:58 PM   #6

Oh now that could be. Im unfamiliar with the German stuff. I only know that the Milwaukee Packout system has been around the longest here in the US. But this setup was less than half of Milwaukee so it was my choice.

Old 06-14-2020, 05:17 PM   #7

Have to ask, since I noticed it in your box, but how’s the Spektrum 5000mAh fit? Did you have to make a right angle pin cable? I’ve been eyeing those.

Old 06-14-2020, 06:10 PM   #8

I love them. It is a snug fit, and the right angle plug is a must but im happy with it so far. Like you im new back to the hobby after many years. My first crawler. I bought an rtr, them immediately changed almost everything in it. But im loving it so far.

Old 06-16-2020, 04:43 AM   #9

My first crawler as well and I’m really enjoying it. Just changed the shocks yesterday for some internally sprung ones. Decided on 90mm size to get stance right once installed. I’m waiting for a stainless steel skid plate/chassis protector I purchased and I’m hesitating on picking up a new ESC/brushless motor, as my LHS has a sale on a CC Sidewinder 3 and a HW Xerun V10 G2 that I think would be just the ticket. Kind of torn between a motor/ESC upgrade and a transmitter upgrade (when I was previously in the hobby, I had understood that all your vehicles benefit from a better radio/transmitter system and I don’t see that having changed now, but it’s far harder to explain the shiny new radio than some part my wife might not identify as potentially expensive.

NB: All kidding aside, I don’t condone lying to your wife about your hobbies. Never ends well anyway and if you can rationalize it with her (or your particular significant other), then chances are it’s not an impulse purchase. If not, maybe you need to put your wallet away!

Edit: Got out to a new spot my boy and I found this evening and got to try out the Dig fix and the new shocks:

Last edited by Alex T; 06-16-2020 at 06:26 PM.

Convenient find for a toolbox - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's in your Toolbox? RCBreeze Tools, and Procedures 4 10-19-2011 05:22 PM
What is in your toolbox? biggin69 Chit Chat 24 03-05-2010 02:04 AM
Help with a toolbox snook Tools, and Procedures 12 04-04-2007 02:09 AM
toolbox TLTCrawlin Chit Chat 18 09-22-2006 07:04 PM
Convenient Work Parking RCALLOYS Chit Chat 27 03-01-2006 09:35 AM