Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: Body Wrap

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2020, 12:52 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Body Wrap

Anyone use a body wrap on their Capra?

I am getting parts and pieces together to start my Capra build, and looking for alternatives to painting the body panels. I am thinking about getting a SOR body wrap set, anyone have experience with them?

https://www.amainhobbies.com/sor-gra...ct-12/p1126688

For clarification. I have painted more than my fair share of RC bodies and panels. Due to this little thing called winter that we sometimes get down here in Northern Idaho, my shop is cold. I can get it warm enough to work in comfortably, but not warm enough so that paint adheres with any real consistency. While my wife has a good sense of humor when it comes to my RCing, one thing that is not tolerated is painting in the house.

Thanks!
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2020, 12:56 PM   #2

Default Re: Body Wrap

Is it just vinyl? If so, you can get a roll of cricut (or similar) vinyl at your local Joann Fabrics, Michael's, or even walmart. I get the permanent vinyl, cut it a little larger than what you are working on. Stick from the center out, work out any tiny bubbles and take an exacto knife around the edges to cut off the excess. It's much cheaper and although it says permanent, you can peel it back off if you decide to paint whrn it's nicer out.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Sabrina76rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 04:48 AM   #3

I recently installed a SOR set on a Capra and all I can is don't bother.

Though the other panels were relatively easy to put on the hood wrap was a piece of shit. I had to cut the wrap extensively to make it adhere and not stay on air. Poor design & awful to install.
elementti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:44 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I've been vinyl wrapping my last few bodies since I hate (and am terrible at) painting.

Just order vinyl on ebay or buy it from a craft store or whatever.

Just make sure you the kind that air release so that you don't have bubble problems.

Use a blow dryer for heat and you'll be amazed how much you can stretch it for corners and stuff.
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 01:24 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

They only thing about a wrap is that it's an "outside" surface treatment. Meaning, it WILL scratch. I did the side panels of my Capra with some carbon fiber appearance vinyl trim strips I have from my RC airplane stuff. Turned out pretty good due to the fact that the side panels have the least complex surface challenges (See emementti's advise on the roof/hood above) . However, the vinyl will eventually show some wear. I've got some already. My Capra was RTR but someday I was planning to buy the Lexan panels from Axial and do a custom paint from the inside out.
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote

Body Wrap - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Custom Body Wrap - Canada? MattKimble Paint and Body 9 07-15-2020 08:32 AM
Freqeskinz Body Wrap Review CHAOTIC Paint and Body 1 05-20-2019 08:49 PM
Body Wrap CHAOTIC Paint and Body 0 04-30-2019 12:42 PM
halloween wrap or body ? pics wmax99 Axial Wraith 0 10-30-2013 08:43 PM
Body Wrap question sf2000xj Paint and Body 2 10-02-2013 07:45 PM