Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Returning to hobby, need advice on rr10 and batts.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2016, 01:52 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Returning to hobby, need advice on rr10 and batts.

I have been out of the hobby for a while. Came back briefly last summer with my ancient tlt gopher tuber rig running nimh packs and it died a couple comps in and wasn't worth fixing. Looking to get an rr10 bomber, but I have some questions. Also new to lipos so suggestions for lipo options for this rig would be nice. Mainly how hefty of a pack it can comfortably fit, and if the pack is sheltered enough to not need a hard shell pack. whether 2s or 3s is the way to go would be nice to know as well. It sounds like everyone is crazy for 3s, but also that this crawler doesn't take 3s so well in stock form.

I am more of a crawler guy, and I'm looking to do trail crawls with my local group as well as straight up rock crawling, but I don't need a crapton of speed for those either. My previous rig was 8 lbs and ran a now over a decade old mamba max, a 55T integy lathe motor, and an over decade old jury rigged losi xxx-t tranny lol. It was a heavy and slow rig but it stuck to the rocks well (the droop suspension probably helped) and still outperformed several newer rigs last summer when I took it to a couple comps.

I'm thinking on getting the 2 speed kit and a sway bar (perhaps softer aftermarket bar for crawling) right away. I have heard complaints on the servo, but granted my 8 pound rig with rims lined with lead coil got by with a similar in strength hitec hs-645mg without a bec maybe it isn't so bad. Is there anything else that I might want to replace right away?
theTman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2016, 04:52 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Returning to hobby, need advice on rr10 and batts.

I'm running mine on a 2s , 5000mah Onyx hard case. I think 2s is just fine unless you really need more speed. I'm doing more crawling with mine, rather than bashing.
HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:08 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Yeah, I don't need all that much wheel speed. It will probably be fast compared to my old crawler lol. I used to have a stadium truck growing up, but grew tired of just zipping around and going off jumps. That truck became a donor for my previously mentioned crawler when I stole it's esc, radio, and tranny lol! I was a high school student so I saved money where I could lol!
theTman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:26 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I think you like the Bomber and be pleased with it's performance right out of the box. Really, the most needed upgrade right off the start is to atleast change out the soft plastic steering links for some metal ones. I'm very happy with my Bomber, glad I finally bought one.
HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:36 PM   #5

I agree with HDMM, the bomber is an awesome truck (if you haven't bought one already). Mine is still stock i have some upgrades planned, but aside form the steering linkage and new wheels and tires, I'll probably keep it that way until something breaks. Rather than going crazy with new parts I'm going to run it until I break it to truly test the durability of this platform.
Treyk47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:09 PM   #6
Hal
Quarry Creeper

I have a Bomber and love it. I have done quite a few mods but the most important one I think was the servo and steering linkage. Servo gave out in a couple good tumbles off the rocks when crawling. I am still waiting for the 2 speed to not be on backorder. I have a Castle Momba pro and Roc 412 brushless and have had no problems running 3S Lipo in it. Tranny is pretty stout. No Anti-roll bar for crawling, I think. May have a bit of torque action going on but I put 40 wt oil in the shock on the side that sucks up in to the chassis, it cured it to a manageable amount. Running 30 wt in other shocks and 3 hole oil baffle in shock. I think it is an awesome rig. I use it for mostly crawling and so e mild trail bashing. Not as fast as a Wraith but IMHO it crawls better. I do have it set for up for crawling and most of the guys with the Wraiths around here like to bash. Good luck.
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote

Returning to hobby, need advice on rr10 and batts. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to the hobby - Advice? joshm104 Newbie General 0 03-06-2013 08:58 PM
New Guy returning to the hobby Rooney7783 Newbie General 7 11-23-2011 11:32 AM
New to site and hobby. Looking for purchase advice... crudeau Newbie General 4 11-09-2011 06:12 PM
hopefully returning Bknight Chit Chat 15 03-15-2007 12:24 PM
New to hobby would like some simple advice KABarash General Crawlers 4 02-09-2006 10:33 AM