Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Yeti Motor/ESC in RR10 Bomber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2015, 05:56 AM   #1

Default Yeti Motor/ESC in RR10 Bomber

I know I read it somewhere, but can't find it. Who has tried running the stock Yeti motor and ESC in their Bomber? What are your opinions. I've been wanting to upgrade the Yeti and this may be reason enough to do so. Thanks
sean_cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2015, 07:02 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Yeti Motor/ESC in RR10 Bomber

I have it in mine. Tedo's Bomber...

Geared 12 / 56 on 3s and it zips.

One thing I did though, is adjust my "Acceleration Forward" function on my Futaba TX. I knocked it down to 40%. It made start up relatively smooth, so it doesn't cog. I can creep rock crawl all day.

I was going to upgrade, but for now, this works fine. And it's waterproof.

Last edited by tedo; 12-08-2015 at 01:06 PM.
tedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 12:59 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I'm running it in mine as well. You can see my vid in the bomber thread.

Agree with tedo. Have better options on the shelf, but this being waterproof was the best option for this car and its intended purposes.
elbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 04:38 PM   #4

I just put my stock yeti motor and esc in my bomber the other day. It definitely helps out the speed of the truck. I am running a 13 tooth pinion with the stock spur gear. This setup does cog a little bit but still crawls pretty good for a sensor less motor. It crawls a lot better than Yeti did with the stock motor in it. Plus if you have a Castle link I'm sure you could fine tune it better to eliminate some of the cog effect.
cwknauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 06:20 PM   #5

thanks guys, i appreciate the information. what 3s batteries fit in the bomber? been looking but can't find a battery box size. Bomber is suppose to be here on Thurs.
sean_cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 06:26 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I am about one click away from ordering a spare Yeti RTR so I can use the brushless motor in a bomber (as well as have a ton of spare parts for my Yeti). My wife got me the Axial 2 speed kit for the Yeti for Christmas, but I think the Yeti brushless motor with the 2 speed transmission in the Bomber will give me a great blend of crawl and speed, especially with some lower gearing on the spur. I don't want a 40 mph bomber, but I do want more speed using 2s than what the initial videos showed with the 35t brushed setup.
BroncoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 06:39 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I just got a MMX + HH PP 540XL for my Yeti.
The stock Yeti ESC/Motor + 2 speed are already in the box for the future Bomber kit!
DenisLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 11:34 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Default Yeti Motor/ESC in RR10 Bomber

For a sensorless type motor/esc setup with a 2speed, would you think the Yeti motor and esc or the Traxxas Velineon system would be better? I'm looking at all my options bot sensorless and sensored with a 2 speed and wouldn't mind it being waterproof either.

Last edited by stonecold; 12-29-2015 at 12:02 PM.
stonecold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 11:54 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I ordered a Bomber and the donor Yeti from Tower last night. I also ordered a 12t and 14t spur gears to slow down the brushless bomber as necessary. The stock gearing in the yeti is 16/64, the stock gearing in the bomber is 12/64. I am not sure what the difference may be in the transfer case gearing.

Axial has the yeti motor on the bomber product page as an optional part, so it must be suitable.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:32 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

One thing that would really help and is kind of fun is the 2 speed transmission. I am running it with a Pro4 3300kv sensored using a 14/64 combination, but I would think that the 3150kv system out of the Yeti even unsensored would do pretty well crawling with the low 1st speed gearing. I had an 11 tooth pinion in it and with the stock 13/38 diff gearing it was pretty good, but once I went to the hardened 13/43 in front and rear the 11 tooth was a super low 1st gear. I can say that with the 14 tooth in 2nd gear the Bomber will certainly move out, but it would be a bit too much for crawling unsensored.
USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 04:03 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoAZ View Post
I ordered a Bomber and the donor Yeti from Tower last night. I also ordered a 12t and 14t spur gears to slow down the brushless bomber as necessary. The stock gearing in the yeti is 16/64, the stock gearing in the bomber is 12/64. I am not sure what the difference may be in the transfer case gearing.

Axial has the yeti motor on the bomber product page as an optional part, so it must be suitable.
How is this set up working out? I'm thinking about doing the same thing.
KellyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:26 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

The Bomber just arrived this week, I haven't gotten a chance to run it or install anything. I do have the parts Yeti and a bunch of hobbie store baggies.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:37 AM   #13

What have you decided on the Setup?
Twisted_ReapeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 05:20 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Anyone have any videos of their bomber running a yeti motor? I am going this route because I don't "crawl" much and that's what I have available.
DTB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 08:44 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I ran this setup briefly. I was looking for a crawler that had some top speed, the Yeti brushless setup was very fast with a 14t pinion gear, fun as heck doing 4 wheel donuts. It jumped well but did barrel rolls on hard corners. With the low gear in the two speed transmission setup it wasn't slow enough to crawl, the Yeti brushless motor cogged badly.

The Traxxas 21t ($18 ) with the two speed trans, Axial low gears in the diff's, and a 11t pinion is about perfect for crawling and a good mid range top speed. I have run a couple dozen packs through it without any motor or ESC related issues.
Old 05-13-2017, 03:00 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I ran this setup briefly. I was looking for a crawler that had some top speed, the Yeti brushless setup was very fast with a 14t pinion gear, fun as heck doing 4 wheel donuts. It jumped well but did barrel rolls on hard corners. With the low gear in the two speed transmission setup it wasn't slow enough to crawl, the Yeti brushless motor cogged badly.

The Traxxas 21t ($18 ) with the two speed trans, Axial low gears in the diff's, and a 11t pinion is about perfect for crawling and a good mid range top speed. I have run a couple dozen packs through it without any motor or ESC related issues.
interested to know why you didnt just go with a smaller pinion gear on the motor with the yeti brushless

I just got a good deal on a yeti esc/motor pull from a used one and I think i will use a 10 or 12t pinion on it.

Thanks for posting your experience!
Adidas4275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 05:17 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 View Post
interested to know why you didnt just go with a smaller pinion gear on the motor with the yeti brushless

I just got a good deal on a yeti esc/motor pull from a used one and I think i will use a 10 or 12t pinion on it.

Thanks for posting your experience!
The cogging with the Yeti motor while crawling was severe with the 14t pinion, I didn't think even going to 10t would've been enough. Keep in mind, that was with the 2 speed trans in low with the 43/13 axle gears, forget about a stock rig. If I wasn't trying to crawl with it at all the Yeti setup could've worked, but I already has a Yeti for going fast. The Traxxas 21T motor was $18 and works great for my usage. I fully planned on spending the cash on a sensored brushless setup, but it really isn't necessary. It can crawl great with the 2 speed in lo or hi gear and has enough top speed with the faster hi gear installed in the 2 speed kit.

If you are installing it in a Bomber without the 2 speed kit and standard gears I think it'll be faster than the chassis can handle even with the 10t.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:14 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Quote:
The cogging with the Yeti motor while crawling was severe with the 14t pinion, I didn't think even going to 10t would've been enough. Keep in mind, that was with the 2 speed trans in low with the 43/13 axle gears, forget about a stock rig. If I wasn't trying to crawl with it at all the Yeti setup could've worked, but I already has a Yeti for going fast. The Traxxas 21T motor was $18 and works great for my usage. I fully planned on spending the cash on a sensored brushless setup, but it really isn't necessary. It can crawl great with the 2 speed in lo or hi gear and has enough top speed with the faster hi gear installed in the 2 speed kit.

If you are installing it in a Bomber without the 2 speed kit and standard gears I think it'll be faster than the chassis can handle even with the 10t.
Curious exactly which motor/gearing/electronics you're running. My brother has a bomber with 2-speed trans that will not stop smoking motors. He just had a brand new 27t light on fire today after 5 mins high speed on 3s. He is about to switch to a HH brushless setup. And no, nothing is binding or difficult to turn by hand. He's running a HW1060 esc.
Myndefuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:23 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I am running the Traxxas 550 21t motor with the stock Axial AE-5 ESC and radio. Motor gearing is 11/64 with the Robinson Racing 64t Gen3 slipper. I am running the Axial aluminum motor mount. Gearing is the Axial 2 speed kit with the optional higher speed high gear. Diffs are running Axial 43/13 gears with aftermarket spools. I have upgraded the steering servo to the 7950 with a Castle BEC, my stock steering servo runs the 2 speed. All runs have been 3s with a 5100 mAh soft pack. No problems with this setup in dozens of packs. I never ran the stock Axial 35t motor.

Here is the Traxxas motor on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Titan-21-Turn.../dp/B000BONYBC
Old 05-13-2017, 09:32 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

Thanks. That is good info.

I'll look at chaining the main gear

I don't really want to change both axles out ::

I appreciate the feedback
Adidas4275 is offline   Reply With Quote

Yeti Motor/ESC in RR10 Bomber - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rr10 bomber available from tower jaykim5708 Axial RR10 Bomber 12 05-05-2016 07:28 PM
No Axial RR10 Bomber section? ROLANDROCKSHOP Comments, Suggestions, and Help 8 12-26-2015 04:06 PM